IGNORED

SYRO Artwork Thoughts

Joyrex

I love all the artwork but there does seem to be a lot of different aspects to it....blimp, foldface, receipt concept, badger pizza box, those booklet afx logo shots... I guess when the king is in town, the town gets the full makeover....

Compare all that to BoC's TH imagery - human-influenced desolation. Even the marketing/viral thing was all tied together with the artwork.

Just sayin..... i wonder is it a tad mixed up....

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it's cool that we get 2 see what gear he used and how much effort and money there is in an album release

i am still very confusyro about the album art and that half the album seems 2 be all the unreleased tracks he played live over the years the fans have been longing to hear

i'd also like 2 know what that stencil/taxidermy cover was, i guess we'll find out in time

The Badger shall reveal it's secrets soon, I reckon

The Analogue Badger Pizza Box Set ?

I liked how minipops on youtube had it's estimated audience & etc. to follow along with the video. The facebook and twitter breakdown was fun. I was curious how many breakdowns could exist and also liked how at first it started as this simple list and now it keeps expanding into more and more fields.

I read a book a couple of years ago called The Pale King, which puts forward the example of truth being hidden in long, jargon-filled small print - (and is hidden there purely because most people won't even bother to read it) - as an analogy for breaking through boredom being the source of true happiness.

DFW represent, yo.

He's a master at keeping up this cult of personality around him, if nothing else.

How is he going for a cult of personality? I agree that the 90's medias tried to turn him into an icon. But what was his reaction to that? He disappeared for years, never toured, made Analord without any self-promotion in pure underground fashion and anonymously released some music as The Tuss. Only now is he back in the medias to promote Syro. Seems to me like he rather favours a cult of his music. His personality is not what is admired about him, you know? It's not the focus of his art. Unless I got it all wrong? Please explain yourself.

if the digital download versions like at itunes don't have their own artwork with the expenses specific to that format of the release i'd say thats one minor bummer. i think the concept would maybe be the most 'meta' or interesting in that context, where your art that came with the download would actually show you the cut/fees that itunes themselves took, right on the graphic. to me that would be kind of funny seeing that. they might not even be allowed to reveal that kind of info though, itunes probably wouldn't be happy about it i guess.

anyway i think the concept is kinda cool but i'd rather see the face as the front cover and the budget/itemization thing on the back. but maybe that's how it actually is?

I read a book a couple of years ago called The Pale King, which puts forward the example of truth being hidden in long, jargon-filled small print - (and is hidden there purely because most people won't even bother to read it) - as an analogy for breaking through boredom being the source of true happiness.

DFW represent, yo.

You know it.

He's a master at keeping up this cult of personality around him, if nothing else.

How is he going for a cult of personality? I agree that the 90's medias tried to turn him into an icon. But what was his reaction to that? He disappeared for years, never toured, made Analord without any self-promotion in pure underground fashion and anonymously released some music as The Tuss. Only now is he back in the medias to promote Syro. Seems to me like he rather favours a cult of his music. His personality is not what is admired about him, you know? It's not the focus of his art. Unless I got it all wrong? Please explain yourself.

I dunno, maybe because he constantly leads people up the garden path. Creates his own Aphex Twin mythos via press interviews. His videos are littered with images of his evil, grinning mug. Press photos for Syro started again immediately with his grinning face. Aphex Twin is some good music, but it's also a brand and marketing trickery. Trickery that works well.

I'm not criticizing Aphex. But you're a fool if you think this is an accident and he's just some happy go lucky every day guy that accidentally has a rabid fanbase.

i like the fold face style. thought it looked good and was funny and followed the theme. I find this whole list of stuff really boring and not very imaginative especially for an album cover. Its a bit like the TDR promo for come to daddy all over again but not even designed well

To be fair though its the tunes i'll be paying most attention to anyway. the sleeve will be tucked up in bed with my other records

I just ate a few english pancakes. no lizards

I dunno, maybe because he constantly leads people up the garden path. Creates his own Aphex Twin mythos via press interviews. His videos are littered with images of his evil, grinning mug. Press photos for Syro started again immediately with his grinning face. Aphex Twin is some good music, but it's also a brand and marketing trickery. Trickery that works well.

I'm not criticizing Aphex. But you're a fool if you think this is an accident and he's just some happy go lucky every day guy that accidentally has a rabid fanbase.

I don't think it's an accident that he became so popular in the 90's. He did what he had to do to get there, media and press-wise. He also made music that had never been heard before. But what he did in terms of press was so little compared to, say, the pop music industry standards. One video interview on MTV. ONE! Can you imagine? He could have given hundreds of them... He could be where David Guetta and Daft Punk are nowadays. But once he got there, once he got a taste of what celebrity is, he vanished. That says a lot about him as a person, doesn't it? He doesn't want to be a jet setting star. Or a brainless DJ giving his fans brainless music for the sake of making millions of dollars. He doesn't care about this kind of attention. You should respect him for that... Disappearing was the coolest thing to do, and also his most anti-establishment move, because it put the focus back on his music, not on his personality.

I think Steve Beckett said he has a 'zen-like control over his life'. He is the master of making his fans see what they want to see. Maybe more cunning than BOC? as he seems to hide in plain sight.

personally i think he should dump warp for some other label who will get his shit together or warp should give him a sublabel and budget to do what he wants.
I see he's number 1 on some spotify thing, the dude will sell anything.

however, bring on the badger :D

I'm a sucker for self-referential meta shit so I think it's quite good. I kinda liked the aesthetic of the foldface picture more, with the bright colors and subdued grin. But I guess he's done enough albums with his own face on them so it's nice to see something new.

Syro artwork? Ok, sucks no Seattle listening party. I do think the best tdr "minimal" artwork the past few years has got to be Autechre's Oversteps... I really dug it.

it's cool that we get 2 see what gear he used and how much effort and money there is in an album release

i am still very confusyro about the album art and that half the album seems 2 be all the unreleased tracks he played live over the years the fans have been longing to hear

i'd also like 2 know what that stencil/taxidermy cover was, i guess we'll find out in time

The Badger shall reveal it's secrets soon, I reckon

what

joyrex

what does this mean

Archived