IGNORED

Apple - iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus, and Apple WATCH

Joyrex

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

posted form my gold iPad air 2 128 gig using apple's shitty keyboard where the letters are always capitalised and it's not letting me place the cursor inside a word to correct spelling

If you touch and wait a magnifying "loupe" will appear and you can move the cursor where you want.

Holy shit I've been annoyed by this for the past year of having an iphone, so glad I bumbled in here and read that. I thought the loupe was just for selecting stuff...

posted form my gold iPad air 2 128 gig using apple's shitty keyboard where the letters are always capitalised and it's not letting me place the cursor inside a word to correct spelling

If you touch and wait a magnifying "loupe" will appear and you can move the cursor where you want.

Holy shit I've been annoyed by this for the past year of having an iphone, so glad I bumbled in here and read that. I thought the loupe was just for selecting stuff...

So that's how you select stuff, will check out that then. Two birds with one handful of corn.

iOS is full of little hidden shortcuts and stuff, perhaps the new Tips app will show some of it. Things like holding down on the "." when you're typing in a web address to get a pop-up of common domains so you don't have to type in ".com" etc

the plus is an higher spec phone, better camera tech, etc. It's the actual new iphone basically. It's pretty light in the hand and doesn't feel too big, my brother has one.

the only difference between the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 plus camera is optical image stabilization the rest is completely identical.

all other specs beside the form factor and battery are identical too: http://www.apple.com/iphone/compare/

And the screen on the 6 Plus is 1080P, whereas the 6 is slightly higher resolution than the 5/5S. I have a 6 Plus and I can tell you it makes a difference in apps that are designed for it (more and more are being updated). The battery is also higher capacity in the 6 Plus (I find only having to charge mine about every 3-4 days, which is amazing for an iPhone - and that's with video watching, music playing, internet, apps, etc. The only things I have found that really sap the battery (of any iPhone) is my Logitec Harmony app and Apple Maps or Google Maps.

iPhone 6 plus was really interesting and even so I had no chance to buy it as the 64 GB version was sold out it was really impressive to see it live. I bought the normal one with 64 GB now that I had preordered and I am happy with my purchase as its smaller so it still fits my normal pockets and I still have plenty of space without paying more. But next time I might buy the larger one. I am also suggesting the larger one to my girlfriend as she is used to her iPad and always complaining that the iphone interface looks so small to her

iOS is full of little hidden shortcuts and stuff, perhaps the new Tips app will show some of it. Things like holding down on the "." when you're typing in a web address to get a pop-up of common domains so you don't have to type in ".com" etc

WHAT

That's amazing

yea there's tons of things like this.

e.g. in Safari, hold down the "+" to access recently closed tabs.

hold down "<" for history.

Ha, nice, I didn't know about those.

if you press the circular button towards the bottom it will take you to the home screen.

and if you tap the homebutton twice without pushing the screen rolls down so you can use it with your thumb. (iphone 6 + 6 plus)

if you press the circular button towards the bottom it will take you to the home screen.

and if you tap the homebutton twice without pushing the screen rolls down so you can use it with your thumb. (iphone 6 + 6 plus)

i think that one is only on the plus

i think that one is only on the plus

Nope, it's on the 6 too. I use it pretty frequently since I'm a compulsive masturbator one-handed use kind of person and I can't quite reach the upper left corner with my right thumb. It's not really the prettiest UI element in iOS8, but it works well within the OS/app environment and is quick enough not to be annoying (to me).

Also, I got Handoff working consistently between my iMac with Yosemite and the iPhone 6 recently, after having to basically sign out of iCloud on both machines and then sign back in and reset. Probably will work a little more consistently after a Yosemite update, but it's pretty cool to be able to transfer an e-mail mid-composition (and mid sentence) between the phone and the computer. Not a game-changer or anything, but a nice touch.

Used Apple Pay the other day, too. That was a fairly pleasant experience, actually.

All of the above is making me feel quite a bit more optimistic about Apple's method of device convergence, etc., than I was a few years ago.

the plus is an higher spec phone, better camera tech, etc. It's the actual new iphone basically. It's pretty light in the hand and doesn't feel too big, my brother has one.

the only difference between the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 plus camera is optical image stabilization the rest is completely identical.

all other specs beside the form factor and battery are identical too: http://www.apple.com/iphone/compare/

And the screen on the 6 Plus is 1080P, whereas the 6 is slightly higher resolution than the 5/5S. I have a 6 Plus and I can tell you it makes a difference in apps that are designed for it (more and more are being updated). The battery is also higher capacity in the 6 Plus (I find only having to charge mine about every 3-4 days, which is amazing for an iPhone - and that's with video watching, music playing, internet, apps, etc. The only things I have found that really sap the battery (of any iPhone) is my Logitec Harmony app and Apple Maps or Google Maps.

iPhone 6 plus was really interesting and even so I had no chance to buy it as the 64 GB version was sold out it was really impressive to see it live. I bought the normal one with 64 GB now that I had preordered and I am happy with my purchase as its smaller so it still fits my normal pockets and I still have plenty of space without paying more. But next time I might buy the larger one. I am also suggesting the larger one to my girlfriend as she is used to her iPad and always complaining that the iphone interface looks so small to her

iOS 8 has UI scaling - Settings --> Display and Brightness --> Display Zoom

Guest skytree

My gf just got a 6+ and really digs it. Haven't had much time to play with it myself, but the camera is probably the best quality we've seen on any smartphone. Only other feedback I have so far is that it's actually surprisingly easier to hold for me than a smaller phone. I don't have to strain my fingers as much - fits the natural width of my hand much better than I'd expected. Felt the same way about the Note too so this isn't 6+ specific. Just a nice bonus for huge phones.

More 3rd parties need to develop cases though as it's definitely slippery and gives you a minor heart attack when it falls. That'll be sorted soon enough I suppose. Also wish they'd gone with the sapphire glass on this one as they'd planned. I was stoked about the virtually-indestructible future tech. The glass on it is great but it not much could top sapphire, outside of diamond. Hoping one day all screens will be made out of the stuff - if they'd been able to go ahead with it it'd have set a significant precedent for other manufacturers. Not sure if the issue was on the supply side or was just another shrewd move to perpetuate good ol' planned obsolescence.

Anyhow, I'll look it up. Whatever the cause, the material itself is rad:
[youtubehd]vsCER0uwiWI[/youtubehd]

Guest jasondonervan

My lady got the 6+... But I don't care!

lol

I read that in adrock's voice

One of the top 10 WATMM exchanges in 2014 right here :catsalute:

My gf just got a 6+ and really digs it. Haven't had much time to play with it myself, but the camera is probably the best quality we've seen on any smartphone. Only other feedback I have so far is that it's actually surprisingly easier to hold for me than a smaller phone. I don't have to strain my fingers as much - fits the natural width of my hand much better than I'd expected. Felt the same way about the Note too so this isn't 6+ specific. Just a nice bonus for huge phones.

More 3rd parties need to develop cases though as it's definitely slippery and gives you a minor heart attack when it falls. That'll be sorted soon enough I suppose. Also wish they'd gone with the sapphire glass on this one as they'd planned. I was stoked about the virtually-indestructible future tech. The glass on it is great but it not much could top sapphire, outside of diamond obvs. Hoping one day all screens will be made out of the stuff - if they'd been able to go ahead with it it'd have set one hell of a precedent for other manufacturers. Not sure if the issue was on the supply side or was just another shrewd move to perpetuate good ol' planned obsolescence.

Whatever the cause, this material kicks ass:

[youtubehd]vsCER0uwiWI[/youtubehd]

There are other smartphones (HTC I believe) that already use Sapphire Glass in their handsets... Apple has been oddly quiet about the screen, only referring to it as "ion-strengthened glass" and not Gorilla Glass, or something else. I wonder who made it?

yeah the sapphire glass is currently used for the apple watch face, it's also used as smartphone camera lens covers.

article where corning explains that sapphire glass ain't all that for large screens at least. (don't watch the top vid, just doing impact tests on GG3). I must be noted from the article that Corning has been investigating sapphire glass for a long time, so maybe apple came to the same conclusions in the end when the claims of the startup that they'd pinned their hopes on didn't quite pan out.

Still though we will eventually be able to do something with things like that. Although there's other solutions coming along like transparent nano mesh nthings.

Archived