IGNORED

Why does EVERYONE talk like a valley girl?!?!?!?

Lane Visitor

girls and guys alike..

at my work...

in my groups of friends...

at family dinners, even my mom does it sometimes!

and it's CONTAGIOUS!

it often seems to come out more when ppl are trying to be cool, copy other people's thoughts, or stand off-ish .. but its weird cuz i used to think it was cool when i was young and accidentally found myself doing it too.. but then i realized how it actually comes off to me as so not cool, like ppl sound so uncomfortable with themselves when they talk like that.. but i find more super bro types with that inflection more than anyone lolol

then theres that crackling lower-register voice thats also associated- valley girl-ish that ppl do when there's no effort coming out.. when people are nervous or sometimes even ashamed, embarrassed, kinda talking under their breath.. but they all sound like bill and ted

wtfffff

whatevvvvrrr

totes. ;D

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

because je t'aime the valley OH

my wife is actually from the Valley IRL so superfluous "likes" don't phase me anymore

but I heard the XKCD guy, Randall Munroe, on NPR the other day and he legit sounded Valley as fuck and I wasn't expecting that

Oh god no I don't have the inflection, I know what you mean though!

Usually tbh if someone starts talking to me like that I just walk away. lool

lol

I'm serious!

There is a girl at work that talks like that and I usually leave mid-sentence.

Rude I know and I'm not a snob but something about talking like that really rubs me the wrong way, I can't handle it.

Oh god no I don't have the inflection, I know what you mean though!

Usually tbh if someone starts talking to me like that I just walk away. lool

lol

I'm serious!

There is a girl at work that talks like that and I usually leave mid-sentence.

Rude I know and I'm not a snob but something about talking like that really rubs me the wrong way, I can't handle it.

i feel you dude, twas ready to leave for the day at work at one point today during an all-out "valley" attack in the office hehe

Oh dog I didn't know what a "valley girl" was, but now that I know I can say there are some teens/younguns here who speak english fine that talk that way. It's godawful, I like my french accent better/10.

I recall an NPR article on this very issue from some time last year. That or the year before. Something about Valley Girls being the pioneers for today's vernacular, at least in the southwestern US.

I avoid talking like one though, for fear of sounding too effeminate.

I cringe every time I hear someone say "I know, right?"

Fuck, I'm getting old. Stupid kids.

i knooowww riiightt?!?!? *pronunciation of "right" = "ruh-i-eeeeeeeet" note-- there's a slight iiii short vowel of "i" that comes before and slightly within that long eeeee

lolz

I had to look up what you were talking about. Like OM Glob wow, I had no idea. I'm guilty of talking like Lumpy Space Princes only when referencing Lumpy Space Princes.

Also I would like to see Valley Girl replaced with LSP.

I grew up in LA. It's really all about the use of "like", not as a simile. Don't think about the scenario I've presented too hard. Just an example of how it's used.

- "So I like went to the store and bought these, like, green shoes that looked awesome. It was cool how, like, they were pretty cheap."

- "Omg ya totally, like, that's so cool."

- "I know, right? So anyways, Brad got a new skateboard that's, like, pretty bitchin."

Archived