IGNORED

Why does EVERYONE talk like a valley girl?!?!?!?

Lane Visitor

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where I'm from most females talks like they are participants in a reality show. That means talking about yourself as much as possible, and not really caring about anything but trivial everyday bullshit and product consumption.

Most males tries to use as many swear words as possible to draw attention to their "maleness". The ironic thing is that it makes them look like insecure little boys. Topics of conversation: alcohol and lifting.

If you use a word longer than 7 letters = nerd/weirdo

Shit, that sounds like many places today. Troubling.

The ironic part about nerd-shaming though is that the "cool kids" have nerds to thank for the invention of their smartphones. Also the first two you mentioned are little different from wild animals competing for mates, intelligence-wise.

I live in northern california and basically everyone says "hella"

Are we the only ones?

Think I've heard that in eastern Washington state. Not sure if it's still a thing tho.

Can you record yourself talking like this and post it. Having a hard time imagining what this sounds like

k ive made the sound recording on my phone to upload on here, but its too large to send as one file and i dont have an editor on my work computer, so im gonna try to upload it tonight and post it... maybe an EKTer can sample it and we can make the next windowlicker.

Born-raised in L.A. So I leave for like 20 years... (but as can be read from my posts, I do still use "like" a lot, because I think it serves an intended purpose of uh... sumsing). Yah but the point of my post is...-- so a few years ago I visit my relatives after not having seen them for ~20 years- all the kids are adults, all the old school adults are older. But since it's Cali, fucking every dude relative sounds surfer; every dudette relative valley-ish. Even the ones who are over 50. But the weird thing is that vibe wise- with the lifestyle that comes from such speech- everyone old feels really young. It's as if in the past 20 years, a wave of hipness hit everyone. The conservative ones got all chill and smart. Wearing 5kg thick plastic glasses, etc.

After going intaanashyonaru, my spoken voice has luckily changed from pure Cali style. I used to hear recordings of myself ~15~20 years ago and I fucking sounded like Keanu Reeves. Now is more like Morgan Freeman; less like Ted "Theodore" Logan.

Actually, but I guess Morgan Freeman can't wail on a guitar to save the universe, so I guess it's all good.

I've been guilty of the "I know, right?" from time to time, but I don't have the inflection when I say it. Hell, with my midwestern accent it sounds forced when people do put that inflection into their speaking (or they just sound stoned, in which case they usually are around here) I used to be guilty of the "like"thing when I was a pre-teen but don't really do that anymore unless I'm actually making a simile.

Also the use of "hella" just sounds dumb, no matter how you say it.

I just recorded my voice now to proudly present my standardized, non-Cali English speaking voice:

[sc5]167912455[/sc5]

lolol peace. rock on! lost my shit at 1:17 hahaha

but yeah like whatever dudes

Ok finally got my impersonation recorded (:

here it is

P.S. 0:00 - 0:38 - Valley Girl... 0:38 - end - Valley Guy

there's probably an 85% chance that your impersonation is identical to the conversation taking place in the white Infiniti in front of you

I'm guilty of "hella" (from Seattle), but I see it as more of a generational thing. I don't use it often anymore, but it does still slip.
(90s were my teen / early 20s years)

• 1 year later...

I've noticed watching people who work for companies like IGN, or Viceland that valley speak seems to have become an integral part of SoCal linguistics, they don't even realize they're doing it, but it can be really annoying after listening to someone for a while who overuses Like to an extreme point.

hearing the word "like" dropped casually into sentences brings out suppressed pangs of ultraviolence

it almost creates a sense of detachment, where the emphasis switches from "something is this" to "something is like this", but then the guilty party never elaborates as to what that comparison actually might be

its a word virus, like herpes, but masks a deeper identity abstraction & as Coil succinctly broadcast "reject the things you find everywhere"

Archived