IGNORED

Warp/Richard's release strategy to discourage piracy

pabs

Guest Atom Dowry Firth

leeks_zpsd264866d.png

I'm guessing Warp are using a third party that has tools for sniffing out leaks as soon as they're uploaded, then whoever's servers are hosting the content get auto slapped with a strongly worded takedown request and threatened with a sledgehammer to the face. Links for this are appearing, they're just being removed as fast as they're going up. The fakes 'strategy' has nothing to do with it I don't think, that was just an inevitable side effect.

It's not a bad strategy but also has undesirable side effects

For instance, lots of people who are new to AFX might think that the fakes are real, and when they listen to it and hear how shit the fakes are they will think aphex twin is shit and will tell all their mates etc. how shit afx is even though its just fake. And before u know it all the ppls think aphex is shit cos of fake shit track wannabe ppls

haha i remember when Human After All fake album leaked 2 weeks ago the real one,

it's was excellent, some people are still saying they wish this was the album.

i remember when piracy was a promotional strategy.

but srsly its not good to restrict data in the worldwide superlibrary. if we're not careful, in 10000 years, we might be remembered for our crappy free music if its the only thing the archaeologists are able to dig up. they might just say "meh, bury it again"

Archived