IGNORED

Amen Andrews - TBA EP - Blueberry Records 10/11/14

SQUIDLID

Going by the announcement on CHATMM I guess this will be out on Monday 3rd November .

It's interesting that it's under the Amen Andrews moniker, I wonder how he distinguishes whether to use Plug or Amen Andrew, perhaps this is down to the era in which it was initially conceived?

As mentioned in a previous thread I heard a few unreleased Vibert Jungle tracks at a party a couple of years ago. Recently I also re-listened to a set he played at Atlantis in Vancouver 2003 which features at least 6 unreleased tracks of Vibert Jungle dynamite. I think quite a few of the tracks I heard at the party are in that Atlantis set and there's a strong chance at least a selection of these will appear on the EP. If these tracks were already ready in 2003 when he played the gig at Atlantis it would make sense to use the Amen Andrews pseudonym since this was the same year he released the original Amen Andrews volumes on Rephlex so were probably written during a similar time frame.

Obviously this is purely speculation, I'm excited whether these tunes are completely unrelated or not, just really happy to be getting another batch of Vibert Jungle.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Going by the announcement on CHATMM I guess this will be out on Monday 3rd November .

It's interesting that it's under the Amen Andrews moniker, I wonder how he distinguishes whether to use Plug or Amen Andrew, perhaps this is down to the era in which it was initially conceived?

Right on the money. He said in an interview he couldn't make Plug stuff anymore, different mindset. Amen Andrews was more for the club to get the party going, Plug more laidback home listening material.

If these tracks were already ready in 2003 when he played the gig at Atlantis it would make sense to use the Amen Andrews pseudonym since this was the same year he released the original Amen Andrews volumes on Rephlex so were probably written during a similar time frame.

Think that is the case. Could have something to do with Rephlex too. I spoke with Luke back in 2008 and asked what his next release would be (this was right after Rodulate), he said an EP on Rephlex. That obviously never happened. It could've been a Kerrier District EP (that third one was eventually released via another label) or an Amen Andrews EP. I figure he got a lot more stuff from that period that was too much for Rephlex, now other labels are picking it up (thank god :)).

edit: it would be nice to hear how he would make a jungle / drum 'n' bass track nowadays, he's really in top form atm with that Luke Warm EP, so I'm really keen on hearing more recent stuff.

Sample heavy and BPM overload is what i expect from our old friend Amen. Can he continue on where Screwface left off? Also wanna see that timestretch function used at least once on every track.

I've listened to the original EPs literally thousands of times, they're like crack

What is this? Vibert was on CHATMM? He's on WATMM? Wut?

Nah, the guy releasing this was :)

As mentioned in a previous thread I heard a few unreleased Vibert Jungle tracks at a party a couple of years ago. Recently I also re-listened to a set he played at Atlantis in Vancouver 2003 which features at least 6 unreleased tracks of Vibert Jungle dynamite. I think quite a few of the tracks I heard at the party are in that Atlantis set and there's a strong chance at least a selection of these will appear on the EP. If these tracks were already ready in 2003 when he played the gig at Atlantis it would make sense to use the Amen Andrews pseudonym since this was the same year he released the original Amen Andrews volumes on Rephlex so were probably written during a similar time frame.

Obviously this is purely speculation, I'm excited whether these tunes are completely unrelated or not, just really happy to be getting another batch of Vibert Jungle.

Amen Andrews and Plug are very different styles. AA is typically much more sample-heavy and a lot faster, with more classic jungle/dnb elements (big, deep basslines, electronic music elements, etc.) Plug is typically a lot more sparse and with fewer samples, and incorporates a lot more jazz influence/samples.. a more relaxed and groove-based sound than the intense mindfuck that is Amen Andrews.

In short:

Amen Andrews=jungle mindfuckery

Plug=dnb groove jazz-fusion

It's only the best jungle for people who only listen to IDM, like Ceephax is the best acid for people who only listen to the usual suspects and don't know anything.

Anything from 94-95 is way better than this cookie-cutter trash, sampling is one thing but sampling other jungle tracks is too meta innit.

lol

drum'n'bass is jungle & jungle is drum'n'bass... yeah jungle & drum'n'bass is the same style... sorry.

With Amen Andrews, there is a use of the sample "Amen Break"... don't u know it?

Yeah happy to know this new 'cause i've got the Vol.1 to 5 & Amen Andrew vs Spac Hand Luke... i love them with the title Remember This from u know where! ;-)

Amen Andrews and Plug are very different styles. AA is typically much more sample-heavy and a lot faster, with more classic jungle/dnb elements (big, deep basslines, electronic music elements, etc.) Plug is typically a lot more sparse and with fewer samples, and incorporates a lot more jazz influence/samples.. a more relaxed and groove-based sound than the intense mindfuck that is Amen Andrews.

In short:

Amen Andrews=jungle mindfuckery

Plug=dnb groove jazz-fusion

I understand what you're saying, but that wasn't really what I was asking. I was trying to suggest a period during of time during which the music was made.

As Herr Jan mentions, Luke has stated a few times that he's tried to make music similar to his work under the Plug alias but can't anymore. There are potentially many reasons for this. I believe when Luke made the Plug material it was a reaction to Jungle and Hardcore which he previously has said he tried to emulate but ended up with a different interpretation. I think he was also using an Amiga to make these tunes.

Amen Andrews material was made later once he'd started using Reason, also the musical terrain had changed quite substantially since the mid nineties Jungle scene. It's no wonder the sound was different. I think his Amen Andrews work is a more faithful rendition of Jungle, Hardcore and Drum & Bass combined, but also with a distinct Vibert twist.

It's only the best jungle for people who only listen to IDM, like Ceephax is the best acid for people who only listen to the usual suspects and don't know anything.

Anything from 94-95 is way better than this cookie-cutter trash, sampling is one thing but sampling other jungle tracks is too meta innit.

Although I've pointed out Luke's references to other Jungle tunes in his own work I don't think he's merely sampling old Jungle tracks (there are a few little bits). It was very common for lots of Jungle and Hardcore tracks to use the same samples as other tunes even if they were well known. I think in most cases he's referencing loads of different stuff as he does in a lot of his music, taking influence from all over the place and often taking samples from the original source material as an ode but also to see how he can flip the sample differently.

I don't think many original Junglists sampled Captain Beefheart.

Archived