IGNORED

Boredom

hoggy

Is there any boring music/films/books that you like?

Do you get bored often? Are you afraid of boredom?

What boring things do you like, what boring things do you hate?

Say anything you like about boredom

I have a saying that i have coined when people have enquired in this direction about various jobs that i have had, "Only boring people get bored" I tell them. It's kind of true, but then again i'm not a bottle sorter in a beer factory or a chicken boner, but then again again, perhaps your mind wanders in a job where the actions become so perfunctory and so yet again it may in fact be the case that only the boring would then let their mind wander to somewhere even more boring than that factory floor and so therefore only the boring get bored. pheh.

that said, i despise any sort off waiting. But we have smartphones for that now, or beatboxing to yourself or rhythmically slapping your legs, or making sure you have a pen and paper. Not really a watch the word go by sort of guy. Well unless it's watmm, or tv, or any other time wastey semi-involved time sink.

I have a saying that i have coined when people have enquired in this direction about various jobs that i have had, "Only boring people get bored" I tell them. It's kind of true, but then again i'm not a bottle sorter in a beer factory or a chicken boner, but then again again, perhaps your mind wanders in a job where the actions become so perfunctory and so yet again it may in fact be the case that only the boring would then let their mind wander to somewhere even more boring than that factory floor and so therefore only the boring get bored. pheh.

I would say the old phrase of "Only boring people get bored" is off base. I hear constantly from creative people that they get bored a lot, so they work on something. If they were content with whatever task they were performing they wouldn't become bored and do something else. Discontent is the catalyst of boredom.

The Kindly Ones is a boring ass novel that I can't quit.

I also think OPN is boring as fuck, but I listen to him constantly.

Transcendental boredom or whatever.

I recommend The Pale King by David Foster Wallace as the inaugural read in the WATMM Boring Books Book Club.

“To be, in a word, unborable.... It is the key to modern life. If you are immune to boredom, there is literally nothing you cannot accomplish” ― David Foster Wallace, The Pale King

I would say the old phrase of "Only boring people get bored" is off base. I hear constantly from creative people that they get bored a lot, so they work on something. If they were content with whatever task they were performing they wouldn't become bored and do something else. Discontent is the catalyst of boredom.

This doesn't quite make sense with itself. And certainly doesn't refute my assertion.

Perhaps you mean braintree, that what i'm saying is happening because i am bored, therefore i am finding something to do creatively because of my boredom. I don't completely agree, as i feel that i am not allowing myself to get bored, but if were to consider your argument, would it not be by your initial logic that the prospect of looming boredom causes minor discontent which is therefore a catalyst (in some people) for creativity. heh. I like to hope though that perhaps some people are beyond boredom and outside of the boredom paradigm.

I think perhaps i need to define the context of what i was getting at for you.

Firstly, both parties can essentially be doing the same thing that you were talking about, filling their mind, in a creative diversion from the task that was at hand, boredom need not be the currency of exchange from one state of attention to the other, i would not call losing focus or dulling attention, boredom, they already have names. Secondly boring people moan about being bored because they are unable to switch their focus to anything of any interest or insight, they just repetitively and reflexively focus on their own distorted sense of self pity. Further a person in the creative industry becoming disenchanted with reality or whatever whilst pottering about in a creative space being all creativy, is a little different to a working man performing repetitive tasks that he or she has no real choice about and finding some sort of angle of inspiration in the moment or reflecting on the task at hand in different ways than one would normally and so on, despite the mundanity of it all, is a true test, baseline definition that seeds my saying.

I'm sure we could continue debating this from behind our ill defined boundaries, and not fully walked through mental keeps, but i'm afraid my dear boy that i'm getting bored with it all.

;-p E-;

This doesn't quite make sense with itself. And certainly doesn't refute my assertion.

Yes, it does make sense with itself. If you feel discontented from your lack of stimulus in some way, and you're a creative person, you are more likely to make something. That's all that statement says.

Perhaps you mean braintree, that what i'm saying is happening because i am bored, therefore i am finding something to do creatively because of my boredom. I don't completely agree, as i feel that i am not allowing myself to get bored, but if were to consider your argument, would it not be by your initial logic that the prospect of looming boredom causes minor discontent which is therefore a catalyst (in some people) for creativity. heh. I like to hope though that perhaps some people are beyond boredom and outside of the boredom paradigm.

Your verbosity lacks potency. The fact that creative people get bored and work on something creative is obviously a sign that boredom is not a lone trait of "boring people."

Yes, it does make sense with itself. If you feel discontented from your lack of stimulus in some way, and you're a creative person, you are more likely to make something. That's all that statement says.

Your verbosity lacks potency. The fact that creative people get bored and work on something creative is obviously a sign that boredom is not a lone trait of "boring people."

heheh,

break it down :mcgriff:

I agree that boredom is a state is discontent

therefore discontent cannot be a catalyst of boredom because they are one and the same, almost interchangeable.

I don't agree that the context of our use of the term boredom was the same though, although i agree that there is a flaw in my logic. :sorcerer:

"Discontent" is a blanket statement and "boredom" is much more precise. Boredom, which could be described as a 'dissatisfaction from lack of stimulus,' would fall under the blanket of discontent.

I hate boredom as much as I hate pooping, but there are some poops that actually feel good, those are the times to make stuff happen.

Aside from my stupid as fuck joke, I want to recommend people my "2 Months Challenge", which is learning something within 2 months and make something cool about it.

I think it is a good way to be productive and actually have deadlines to force you and do things. I'll start with Unity, well I already started so I hope that by November have a good game running. Next it might be a new programming language (maybe SuperCollider or polish my Pure Data) and so and so... You should try it! :9

The trick is to sit back & recall the nature of your situation in all its staggering immensity. Then marvel once more that you're as much a part of it as any other. Nothing is boring if you're paying attention.

I don't get bored when I'm at home on my own time. I have so many hobbies and interests that I'm never actually bored.... I do get bored at work because that place fucking sucks and is ruining my life. I have found that I do a lot of snacking when I'm bored, but I really only do that at work. However, since that is the place where I spend the majority of my time, this boredom snacking has caused quite a bit of weight gain.

I though American Psycho was a rather boring and monotonous book but something made me finish it till the end. Guess it was more of an interesting character piece rather than a thrilling plot-driven novel

I thought it was hilarious, scathing and a good satire that really nailed a lot of things. It even skewers U2 at one point. Very much of its time, but ahead of its time for sure.

Oh and to be on topic, struggle creates a need to overcome and make it to the promised land. One minute you are straining not to let your brain turn into applesauce and later you are building a cathedral and painting the ceiling with aphex aventurs. Boredom = The Great Pyramids. But also Hitler. Let that be a cautionary tale to the bored people out there.

The trick is to sit back & recall the nature of your situation in all its staggering immensity. Then marvel once more that you're as much a part of it as any other. Nothing is boring if you're paying attention.

trueché!

I have a saying that i have coined when people have enquired in this direction about various jobs that i have had, "Only boring people get bored"

Isn't this from a Pet Shop Boys song? :emotawesomepm9:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnvFOaBoieE

I've used it myself. :cisfor:

Archived