IGNORED

Republican mistakes Girl Talk for sexist insult & links it to terrorism

Rubin Farr

Girl Talk is pretty lame, sure he does some fairly decent mash-ups but there's really not much talent in that and it gets fucking old reeeeeaaallllly fast. Former house-mate of mine used to put his shit on all the time and insisted on putting it on at every house party we had (needless to say everyone else in the house and our friends who came over all the time got pretty fucking sick of it too)

Can't get that site to work on my ancient work computer, could a kind person give me a overview?

A vapid tidbit somehow got its own thread. It's so inconsequential it almost ruined my day. The only thing that will possibly keep this thread alive is a perfunctory discussion of just how shitty girl talk is.

I'll save you some time and render my verdict:

Very, very shitty.

pretty funny, I suppose Chris deserves a few points for that, although he's still far into negative point range when he actually said on air that Liz Wahl (RT reporter) was 'decidedly bad ass' in other words he fell for a DC neocon think-tank stunt

Can't tell if sarcasm....

Should I check it out?

Nah mayne, at the time all the reviews built it up to be some profound statement about technology and recycled mass culture yadda yadda. It's a fun enough record if you ever want to play Spot That Sample though.

Girl Talk is pretty lame, sure he does some fairly decent mash-ups but there's really not much talent in that and it gets fucking old reeeeeaaallllly fast. Former house-mate of mine used to put his shit on all the time and insisted on putting it on at every house party we had (needless to say everyone else in the house and our friends who came over all the time got pretty fucking sick of it too)

The thing about him and Illegal Art's subsequent PR of his stuff is his personal insistence that it's fair use, to the point where he became a very arguable and iffy posterboy for copyleft and creative commons in RiP!:_A_Remix_Manifesto, which a decent doc but too naive, short-sided, and misguided. (Copyright Criminals is much better imo). I very pro-sampling, but there is huge artistic and creative gap between his mash-up party albums (he refutes the term mash-up and DJ btw) and the far more innovative, impressive, and even challenging music of past albums like Fear of a Black Planet, Entroducing, Since I Left You, and Paul's Boutique. Music recorded from scratch or composed from meticulous sampling is not the same as cutting and pasting .wav samples of Top40 hits over each other and those who claim that are delusional arrogant dipshits.

What is girl talk?

Edit: Nevermind, internets lol.

So he's a mashup artist?

Apparently so! Although I've never really heard his stuff before. I don't know if he's a good 'un or not.

But Night Ripper was an epoch-defining masterwork, you guys.

No, you're thinking of As_Heard_on_Radio_Soulwax_Pt._2 from 2001. It's not quite as dense but it was made 6 years earlier and has a much more thought-out and interesting choice of songs. Night Ripper is the best of influx of mid-00s mash-up albums, but his popularity is more to do with his live sets, PR from Pitchfork (They literally posted a set by him for the new year in 2006, it was the only news item for a good week over the holiday), and timing. There were others making equally good party mash-up mixes or "albums" as Girl Talk calls him. I don't mean this is a bad way, but he's the Skrillex of mash-up - the guy who broke into mainstream name recognition and popularity.

Also, he's a terrible remixer, far better at DJing.

Guest nene multiple assgasms

I like chris hayes's show; he'll do things like actually have on a protesting minimum wage worker for an interview instead of just relying on professional pundits. he occasionally makes pop culture references like this; I guess he likes to think he's hep to what the kids are into. I remember one time he mentioned being a fan of neutral milk hotel.

I like chris hayes's show; he'll do things like actually have on a protesting minimum wage worker for an interview instead of just relying on professional pundits. he occasionally makes pop culture references like this; I guess he likes to think he's hep to what the kids are into. I remember one time he mentioned being a fan of neutral milk hotel.

he's in a relatively good position still among more liberal people. While most of MSNBC has descended almost completely into an inverse version of how Fox News was under Bush, Chris Hayes remains separated from the pack. He recently covered 2 stories that I only saw in the alternative media circuit, the beating of the 13 year old Palestinian american kid by the IDF (actually had the kid in the studio) and the 28 redacted pages from the 9/11 congressional inquiry.

Can't get that site to work on my ancient work computer, could a kind person give me a overview?

A vapid tidbit somehow got its own thread. It's so inconsequential it almost ruined my day.

Says the guy that turned a thread about fashion into a thread about coffee by way of minutiae.

pretty funny, I suppose Chris deserves a few points for that, although he's still far into negative point range when he actually said on air that Liz Wahl (RT reporter) was 'decidedly bad ass' in other words he fell for a DC neocon think-tank stunt

I'm not intensely plugged into the who's who of 'alternative' journalism, but even I thought something was weird about that whole thing.

I'm not intensely plugged into the who's who of 'alternative' journalism, but even I thought something was weird about that whole thing.

the whole scenario is the closest I ever got to experiencing a real-life House of Cards episode.

check out the below article for some back story

the-freedom-selfie-300.jpg

http://www.truthdig.com/report/item/how_cold_war-hungry_neocons_stage_managed_liz_wahls_resignation_20140319

Archived