IGNORED

 (Adam's Fall)

Dpek

The intro was intense but I liked how you incorporated it when the beats kicked in. The beats are nice, liked the switched up tempo breaks and the over-all swing of them. Had my head banging towards the end there. Thank you.

• 1 month later...

Alright, another thread of mine I bump because I made a new version or the track. I hope you don't mind. This one is also pretty much finished, maybe I'll just do a lil bit of mixing tweakage later on.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/26673322/Adams%20Fall.mp3

Pretty great, a lot of work and it shows. Sounds a bit dry though, in your face and dry, lacks some depth. Maybe you need to be more courageous with reverb, use it not only to create an ambience but also as a sound design tool, but yeah, very nice piece.

You're absolutely right, I do have a bit too dry sound and it has been bugging me for a few years now. Great observation! The track should of course be in your face as it's fitting its theme but there are limits to what you want to achieve and how it sounds afterwards - I will try to find the right balance between space and aggressiveness. Thank you!

dope in your face hard beat, I like the squarepusher'esque distorted bass and creative compositional structure. Not sure about the mix, panning, eq'ing & leveling between different channels, might be the harshness off the distortion emphasizing mid to high freq's. What are you mixing on?

Alright thank you both because I really looked into the song's sound structure and approached it differently. You can hear my new version in the same player, same link, 3 posts above. I'm otherwise mixing on software, Reason to be more precise, which I know isn't the most flexible and accurate of all mixing devices but I got my way around it so I trust it. It certainly responded well when I tried to make the sound more compact, wide and beefy today - but I'll let you judge :)

wow that's pretty straight forward! I also definitely get a Squarepusher vibe from it (Ufabulum vibe to be precise) but I don't mean that negatively, I find that it also sounds cohesive to what I remember hearing from you on this board.

Anyway... just wanted to comment on the mixing as the others started ;-) the track has already a strong sonic character/cohesion and I wouldn't change too much about it, but I'm sure it would benefit from having more low end to counterbalance the quite pronounced hi-med area. This is definitely the kind of track one might want to listen out loud and this high-med prevent your from doing that I think (so some EQ work on some tracks in this area could also help imo).

Reverb could also help but I wouldn't add too much of it, it's probably good for the track that it sounds kinda dry.

I enjoyed listening, don't hesitate to post another version if you make one!

Alright, again the same player up some posts....

Thanks Antape, finally I found that annoying frequency which I don't know why I put up with all this time (5000 hz). I haven't erased it completely as it gives a bit of an edge to the song but I hope I muted it enough - what do you think? If I go even lower with it, suddenly the mix starts to sound pussy-like, but I need to listen to it with fresh ears anyway..... :) Peace out

I would still highpass a bit that repeating distorted lead and maybe use an exciter on it`s high frequencies but the rest is top notch, lots of power, really good track!

Alright, again the same player up some posts....

Thanks Antape, finally I found that annoying frequency which I don't know why I put up with all this time (5000 hz). I haven't erased it completely as it gives a bit of an edge to the song but I hope I muted it enough - what do you think? If I go even lower with it, suddenly the mix starts to sound pussy-like, but I need to listen to it with fresh ears anyway..... :) Peace out

did you upload a new version of the track or are you asking what I think about this EQ correction you made? Hard to say without hearing but yeah in principle you shouldn't completely cut the frequency (I mean if it's so drastic that you have to cut it completely there's probably something you can do before the mixing stage, direct at the source - it's always better to perform that way anyway when possible). Also, cutting a frequency completely will have some side effects on the sound due to phase alteration and also probably psycho-acoustics (can be used as an effect though).

So yeah what I was suggesting is what you said you made : finding this annoying frequency, might it be too present into one source or several, and attenuating it just the right amount. Provided the general character of that track you definitely want frequencies of that area to be part of the game!

Archived