IGNORED

Richard Devine Appreciation Thread

Allize

Does anyone here appreciate his music? I tried several times at different stages of my life and never succeeded. It always feels cold and humorless. How am I supposed to enjoy it? I can't get any emotion out of it. It is a sincere question because he obviously puts a lot of work and care on his music and Id like to be able to understand what he has in mind when he does it. What releases do you recommend? Any tips to get it to his sound or is it a love it or hate it thing?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone here appreciate his music? I tried several times at different stages of my life and never succeeded.

Same here, great skillful sounddesigner (I think dude gets send every bit of harware & software to make presets for), but from what I've heard in the past, musically it doesn't move me. Will try again. I react similar to Autechre's output.

I once heard Richard Devine's music played by a DJ through a big soundsystem at an outdoors festival at ~4AM and it sounded really good in this setting, much better than listening to the same stuff at home through headphones

Does anyone here appreciate his music? I tried several times at different stages of my life and never succeeded.

Same here, great skillful sounddesigner (I think dude gets send every bit of harware & software to make presets for), but from what I've heard in the past, musically it doesn't move me. Will try again. I react similar to Autechre's output.

Yeah I never really got into autechre either.

Sometimes i get more emotion out of radio signals than your archetypical minor key ballad. Basic emotions are deeply-rooted in musical language and controllable and not everybody is interested in them. Then there are emotions that, for example, doesn't have words for them, not "sadness", not "anger" etc. Some state of curiousity, uncertainty. Cold rational music just doesn't sound like what Devine does, it has human scale.

I only have Cautella. Some of the later tracks on there have some half-decent pads and chord progressions, and the first track is rather haunting at times.

I prefer stuff that has mad beatz and an emotional story to tell. I don't think he can really offer an emotional rollercoaster but he certainly excels in the former category, and some of his tracks do offer both

Well, I'm listening to his track "Murman" on Wémè recordings and it's is a really good ambient piece....He can obviously do emotionally charged stuff, it must be me that can't understand the rest of his work.

I once heard Richard Devine's music played by a DJ through a big soundsystem at an outdoors festival at ~4AM and it sounded really good in this setting, much better than listening to the same stuff at home through headphones

I love to DJ with his tracks because they are cold & sterile.. you can layer his stuff with melodic tracks and they won't clash. I used Klockner in my last mix (from minutes 27 to 31) and I'm really happy with how it blends with Under BOAC:

his music is awsm, imo - esp. sigstop 12" ep. but then, liek many diff forms of music, & particularly dem harder tropes/genres, iFind iRly hav 2 b in a certain frame of mind/mood 2 proply immerse self in its complexity 4 max enjoymentalism. iAslo find it is exciting 2 mix RD tunes as they tend 2 spawn flavoursome symbiotic elements when in sync w. another's track.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Milkweg

He's got some really cool stuff on his Vimeo too. There's a couple of tracks on there i like more than anything I've heard of an actual release.

• 1 year later...

Dug up this thread cause he's been posting a load of modular tracks/patches on youtube over the past week. It's especially cool because he's written out fairly detailed explanations of how he's set the modular system up in the description of each video.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxYWDq2dh286jKDThKRAbUA/videos

his studio makes me angry

Completely hypocritical given my continual plugin-buying-syndrome, but he needs to buy less things and do more stuff !

I want to know what happened to Shapeshifter, also on Schematic, who did like uber-intense-Devine-glitch-outs-in-space

He only did this one album:

his studio makes me angry

Completely hypocritical given my continual plugin-buying-syndrome, but he needs to buy less things and do more stuff !

i'm pretty sure a lot of the stuff is given to him and he does these free promo videos (hard to imaginer him being really taken with the akai timbre wolf). i think he probably spends most of his time doing loads of sound design stuff you never hear about. either synth presets or commercial work

i think he probably spends most of his time doing loads of sound design stuff you never hear about. either synth presets or commercial work

Actually you're dead right, and ironically loads of the plugins I've bought recently that I totally don't need but think they'll magically make me make music again have had lots of Devine created presets !

i think he probably spends most of his time doing loads of sound design stuff you never hear about. either synth presets or commercial work

Actually you're dead right, and ironically loads of the plugins I've bought recently that I totally don't need but think they'll magically make me make music again have had lots of Devine created presets !

Yeah he's kind of hard to evaluate for this reason. His records are always interesting particularly for his sound design but in order to truly assess his contribution to electronic music one would really have to include his commercial and plugin stuff. I imagine he also just does consulting in terms of providing feedback and insights into developing products, yeah? My view is that even though I'm not super into his records I'm always interested in checking out what he does and I think his overall contributions to electronic music are probably more considerable then I realize. He definitely knows what he's doing and has kept it real where a lot of people might have taken the money and gone soft and arrogant.

Respect.

A lot of amazing modular patches by him posted on Facebook...

Man, modular synthesis scares me a little, I really want to get into it but at the same time I don't have the money and I don't want to spend all my time just patching around and never making music...

Archived