IGNORED

Richard Devine Appreciation Thread

Allize

He's underappreciated. If Autechre would have released the same stuff he released everybody would say: "Wow, look how refreshing and innovative they are!". But now it's seen as just interesting sound experiments but if you're in the right mood and take some time to dive into his music it's just fucking awesome

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's underappreciated. If Autechre would have released the same stuff he released everybody would say: "Wow, look how refreshing and innovative they are!". But now it's seen as just interesting sound experiments but if you're in the right mood and take some time to dive into his music it's just fucking awesome

that doesn't make any sense m8. have you even looked at the autechre subforum? fools are constantly bitching in there about the stuff autechre *actually release*

wish he/they would rerelease his first schematic ep. the vinyl rips floating around sound like ass but there are some killer tracks on it. from '98:

big fan of his stuff in this vein. most like old autechre to me. industrial rhythms and strong melodies

killer 13 min track from a 2000 schematic comp

One thing's for sure:  Richard Devine has kept it real since the beginning.  He was always this alien ass dude putting out glitch and sound design type sonics.  He was into his own experimental world so much that eventually companies paid him to fiddle.  That's hardcore.  Like 17 years ago I might've felt that he was a man whose vision was styled by the time, but then he stuck to it forever.

That being said, I haven't heard sweet/human-emotion sentiments in his music for ages.  It's like he's crystalized his AI or someshit, and he's on the verge of revealing that he's been a machine the whole time.

wish he/they would rerelease his first schematic ep. the vinyl rips floating around sound like ass but there are some killer tracks on it. from '98:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwZiogq4jpY

big fan of his stuff in this vein. most like old autechre to me. industrial rhythms and strong melodies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Kj11f8SUGs

killer 13 min track from a 2000 schematic comp

hell yes.

That being said, I haven't heard sweet/human-emotion sentiments in his music for ages.  It's like he's crystalized his AI or someshit, and he's on the verge of revealing that he's been a machine the whole time.

When the pads creep in on this one it's a lovely lovely thing:

I hope Richard Devine releases an album called "Piano Roll."

Nice :)

One thing's for sure: Richard Devine has kept it real since the beginning. He was always this alien ass dude putting out glitch and sound design type sonics. He was into his own experimental world so much that eventually companies paid him to fiddle. That's hardcore. Like 17 years ago I might've felt that he was a man whose vision was styled by the time, but then he stuck to it forever.

That being said, I haven't heard sweet/human-emotion sentiments in his music for ages. It's like he's crystalized his AI or someshit, and he's on the verge of revealing that he's been a machine the whole time.

I just read a very interesting blogpost touching on that subject http://absurdwurld.blogspot.se/2016/10/bleeping-modular-synths.html?m=1

don't wanna derail the thread too much tho

Also, I personally think that his modular stuff of facebook is quite filled with emotion! :)

That being said, I haven't heard sweet/human-emotion sentiments in his music for ages. It's like he's crystalized his AI or someshit, and he's on the verge of revealing that he's been a machine the whole time.

Check this one:

https://soundcloud.com/richarddevine/dreamseq2

I know I probably sound like one of the "haterz" but most of his stuff sounds too similar to autechre to me. 

I really enjoy Cautella and Risp tbqh, amazing sound design etc. 

He's definitely incredibly talented but it's just TOO similar to some of Autechre's vibe to me for him to gel with me entirely. He's kind of Autechre's flahblub.... 

I know I probably sound like one of the "haterz" but most of his stuff sounds too similar to autechre to me. 

He's definitely incredibly talented but it's just TOO similar to some of Autechre's vibe to me for him to gel with me entirely. He's kind of Autechre's flahblub.... 

I've heard people say this fairly often. I see a lot of superficial similarities between Autechre's stuff from, say, LP5 through probably Draft 7.30, but the differences in character and aesthetics are huge to my ears. Devine is definitely much slicker and more detached-feeling. When he gets going he can be pretty thrashy too, I think he listened to metal or hardcore or something like taht when he was younger. His stuff also seems to have more parts and layers on average.

"Cautella" was a little slicker than I usually like but I do like to put it on around January or February. Never heard Risp, one of those things I kept meaning to check out but never did. I enjoy a lot of his modular stuff from Facebook. It does seems to be going in some kind of R&B or almost loungey direction, at least last I checked.

Plonked Spectral has one of the best glitch video+music in the past 10 years. The combination is perfect harmony, and it's only a few seconds later that you realize: "What the fuck is going on in this video, and what is this music? What the fuck is going on."

Yah, Devine definitely does have some metal vibez in him. Like if metal matured for 100 years, it'd sound like Richard Devine.

Guest bitroast

I've heard people say this fairly often. I see a lot of superficial similarities between Autechre's stuff from, say, LP5 through probably Draft 7.30, but the differences in character and aesthetics are huge to my ears. Devine is definitely much slicker and more detached-feeling. When he gets going he can be pretty thrashy too, I think he listened to metal or hardcore or something like taht when he was younger. His stuff also seems to have more parts and layers on average.

"Cautella" was a little slicker than I usually like but I do like to put it on around January or February. Never heard Risp, one of those things I kept meaning to check out but never did. I enjoy a lot of his modular stuff from Facebook. It does seems to be going in some kind of R&B or almost loungey direction, at least last I checked.

his internet modular / studio vids have shown a good amount of diversity outside of just the "autechre" style glitchy stuff.

i personally would super enjoy seeing him bringing that wider palette to his released music under his own name. 

He's much better than watmm gives him credit for, that's for sure, or maybe that was more of an old school watmm thing.

his internet modular / studio vids have shown a good amount of diversity outside of just the "autechre" style glitchy stuff.

i personally would super enjoy seeing him bringing that wider palette to his released music under his own name. 

Oh yeah definitely. A lot of his modular facebook/vimeo stuff seems to be going in this kind of smooth 90s R&B direction, like it sounds like it was made on a Triton or somethign. Which is weird to hear from a big complex modular patch.

edit: lol OK I -did- mention that in my original post...

smooth 90s R&B direction

R&B???

Maybe R&B isn't exactly the right genre but that's what the pads and stuff remind me of.

This isn't the best example, I guess it's kind of housier. This kind of stuff might have even been described as "trip hop" 15-20 years ago:

https://www.facebook.com/richard.devine/videos/10154383557025358/

He's been making that kind of stuff for a long time, though. This one's more blissed out and ambient but it has similar kind of vibes:

(One of my favorite tracks of his, btw)

Archived