IGNORED

Ebola hits US

LimpyLoo

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Edit re:: luke

Unless it's already airborne like the Canadian scientists were saying.

For me, the fact that viruses can and do mutate is probably the scariest part of Ebola.

Dogs and tazmanian devils each have fucking contagious forms of cancer they have to deal with (in the case of dogs: imagine having sex with someone and contracting fucking cancer from them!!!)

You mean HPV?

meanwhile, 80 people in Dallas are being monitored for ebola. That Liberian dude sure got around. Great news...ugh...

Yep he had contact with at least 18 people, 4 of them children who brought them to 4 different schools.

Great job by the hospital btw, not admitting him even though he told them he was in west africa. "oh here's some antibiotics that should fix you up"

edit: oh I see they've changed it from 18 to appr 80.

meanwhile, 80 people in Dallas are being monitored for ebola. That Liberian dude sure got around. Great news...ugh...

Yep he had contact with at least 18 people, 4 of them children who brought them to 4 different schools.

Great job by the hospital btw, not admitting him even though he told them he was in west africa. "oh here's some antibiotics that should fix you up"

I enjoyed the part of the report where he's vomiting all over the place.

I enjoyed the part of the report where he's vomiting all over the place.

heh. and now it's 100! :cerious:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/02/health/ebola-us/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/07/31/world/africa/ebola-virus-outbreak-qa.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&version=HpHeadline&module=a-lede-package-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

looks like he was shedding virus for about 4 days. i can't believe they told him to go home after his first visit to the hospital. we now know he handled a deathly ill woman (who later died) in an area with a lot ebola. if he told the doctors this on his first visit, and they told him to go back home, i mean, shit, that's just terrible.

as far as transmission goes, i think it's a bit more scary than "you have to make out with someone in the ICU." yes, you're no contagious until you are sick, but i'm sure it's a little more loose than that. so, if you're shedding virus 6-8 hours before you have a fever, that could be lot of bathroom visits and handshakes. also, you always have tiny abrasions on your skin and if rub your eyes or wipe your mouth, you're exposing yourself.

i may be being paranoid, but they really should just put a travel ban on the worse-affected areas. from this guy's timeline, it looks unlikely that he was contagious while on the flight, but if someone is puking their guts out on a flight, and everyone on that flight scattered, it would be very very bad.

i wish i lived in rural scotland, and not NYC. i work at hospital and few of my colleagues have said if they find someone in NYC with this, they will be starting a 2 week vacation out of the city that day.

Serious Uh Oh Spaghettios moment by the hospital.

I mean, we all knew if the end comes it's going to be because of Texas, though.

tumblr_mcxrqg0ibP1rgi0z6o1_500.png

We should all get to Mexico, put our backs against the ocean, and defend ourselves from there.

serious lol. deadly serious.

I also wonder if ISIS or some other nuts are sitting back & are like "Ah...damn, all we have to do is infect some martyrs & send them packing across the globe." easiest way to make biological weapons, as someone alluded to. So ridiculous, it wouldn't surprise me.

apparently this piece of shit lied on a form he was asked to fill out before leaving for dallas which asked if he had been in direct contact with anyone infected or dead bodies of the infected. he answer no to every question, when in reality he carried an infected woman to a hospital and back to her home where she later died. i am so fucking pissed at this guy. typical selfish human stupidity.

his thought process probably didn't include the fact that he could spread the disease to others, he just wanted to cover his own ass and get to the united states for better medical treatment. if even two or three of those eighty people are infected, who knows how many people they infected during their day to day lives? i imagine more people are gonna jump ship from africa and try to travel to more developed nations for treatment, potentially spreading the virus, unless world governments step in and actually quarantine those countries in a meaningful way. god this is such a huge clusterfuck :facepalm:

don't get me wrong--i think the deaths from ebola are a tragedy. entire communities are just being erased and that's really fucked up. that being said, the WHO has been busting their ass trying to treat people and educate them on how to avoid ebola, but it just hasn't been sticking. if educating people and trying to treat them doesn't work, there are no more "nice" options here other than trying to enforce a wider quarantine and hoping it doesn't spread to other areas. hopefully that canadian company can develop and disseminate the ebola vaccine quickly enough to prevent a pandemic, but even that might not stop the spread in africa because the people there distrust foreign doctors so much. ugh so fucked.

We should all get to Mexico, put our backs against the ocean, and defend ourselves from there.

I also wonder if ISIS or some other nuts are sitting back & are like "Ah...damn, all we have to do is infect some martyrs & send them packing across the globe." easiest way to make biological weapons, as someone alluded to. So ridiculous, it wouldn't surprise me.

fuck. that would be an insanely evil and clever thing for them to do.. hopefully that doesnt happen.

i know this is fox news and this link is off topic and all, but speaking of isis-- did anyone see this?

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/10/02/army-warns-us-military-personnel-on-isis-threat-to-family-members/ ...

utterly disgusting. i also hope nothing comes of it.

but anyway, yes, isis has been known to have been planning biological/chem weapons as supposedly blueprints were found on a seized laptop. anyway ebola seems to have come at a terrible time. ha.

i dont understand why there wasn't a ban on people flying from that part of the world
or some kind of quarantine procedure already laid out

something. fucking anything.

we can talk about how much of a threat ebola is or isn't all day, but maybe the most important thing to take from this event is that neither the US gov, the UN, or basically anyone has any real actual plans for really getting into a place and stopping a deadly disease from spreading out to everywhere else in the world. no plan, at all.

this is uplifting:

"She says he didn't vomit on her. She wasn't cleaning up after him. She said he was very much sort of prideful, would take care of himself, go into the bathroom when he had diarrhea," Cooper said.
Louise and her family are in isolation with sheets and towels used by the Ebola-stricken Duncan, Cooper said. Louise did use bleach to clean her apartment, "but it's not clear to me how systematic the cleaning was," he said.
The sheets Duncan used are still on the bed, and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) hasn't taken away those materials, Cooper said.

At least he was prideful.

Isn't it fun when the fears mainstream media perpetuates combine to form one mega fear?

but anyway, yes, isis has been known to have been planning biological/chem weapons as supposedly blueprints were found on a seized laptop.

this is what they've been saying about every single terrorist group since the 90s, and not once has it come to fruition.

In fact the only time America was ever attacked with a biological weapon was when anthrax was sent from a US government lab in October of 2001, in other words the anthrax was american (it didn't originate nor was sent by any terrorist group, islamic or otherwise).

edit: fucking lol, that Fox News clip is an interview with Peter King one of the most irrational, fearful and hawkish neoconservatives still serving in government.

Archived