IGNORED

Are you an Album track skipper/editor/deleter?

hello spiral

yes i am, it's rarely the case but i skip some tracks,

i admit on Bibio's Mind Bokeh i've deleted from my computer "Take Of Your Shirt" with no regret, it's the first time i've done that, and i wasn't the only one

but in general i skip

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am slightly OCD that I force myself to listen to albums from start to finish and I have a hard time to skip tracks or even interrupt an album if I need to listen or do something else. Wouldn't even consider to edit or remove tracks from an album.

Guest bitroast

yes i am, it's rarely the case but i skip some tracks,

i admit on Bibio's Mind Bokeh i've deleted from my computer "Take Of Your Shirt" with no regret, it's the first time i've done that, and i wasn't the only one

but in general i skip

Lol that track is almost asking to be deleted from the album. It was even released on its own standalone EP, asif to have its own proper home for all the people that deleted the completely out of place track in otherwise pretty solid album.. (Imo.. Lol)

Guest Zwei Kreise

I don't know if that counts but I am kind of obsessive/compulsive when it comes to tracklists, especially on albums. I usually don't skip any track, but sometimes I swap a couple of them or remove one that "doesn't fit".

For example with Function's album Incubation, the album starts with "Voiceprint" and there is "Voiceprint (Reprise)" that should end the album but there's another track after it that feels very much out of place and anticlimactic. Swapping "Reprise" and the last track makes it so that the Voiceprint tracks bookend the album and it sounds much better that way in my opinion.

This is even more eggregious in the cd version of that album where they tacked on, apropos of nothing, one of the tracks of the EP that preceeded the album itself, which botches the tracklist even more spectacularly.

That's also why I'm usually not a fan of "expanded" CD versions of albums from the 80s (mostly the 80s in this case) where they added remixes and alternative versions to justify the extra space on CD vs the vinyl and it just ends up messing up albums with perfectly functional tracklists. In those instances I usually stop the album at the end of the "original" tracklist.

Anyone remember that loon on watmm that made his own version of Squarepusher's The Coathanger where he dubbed himself saying 'squarepusher' over every utterance of 'coathanger'?

Somebody pls find the video lol

lol, why doesn't it surprise me it was phudoshin's doing (sadly vid no longer exists but I think I found the thread)

YES!

I need to see that video again, phudoshin pls!

I skip tracks, delete tracks... hell, I even edit tracks to remove parts I don't like.

Editing tracks is good practice to find out what works and what doesn't work for you.

Never. I look at it from the artist's point of view, that they have released these tracks in this order for a reason and I shouldn't mess with that.

For the same reason I loathe bonus tracks at the end of a CD. They should put them at the start so we can skip them but still have the album play out the way it should.

I can't stand having just one or two songs from an album in my library. It drives me crazy if the whole thing isn't there, no matter how shit the other tracks are.

Sometimes I'll skip a track or two, but I'd never delete one, nor would I mess with the album's arrangement. I think it's an OCD thing.

I allow myself to use playlists from time to time though. For example, sometimes I'm just in the mood for listening to the softer piano/ambient tracks on Drukqs, so I'll assemble them together. Other times I only want the 'loud', more aggressive stuff, so there's a playlist with Omgyjya, Cock, St. Michael, etc. But if I have a couple of hours to spare and I'm in the right frame of mind, I'll listen to that album from start to finish.

• 2 months later...

i hate when the tracks are out of sequence in an album. it takes you on a journey through a range of emotions.

for example right now i have an album i play everyday which has a nice little narrative.

if the tracks were out of sequence the message would be skewed.

I skip stuff now and then. The only two "tracks" I've ever deleted are those annoying intros and outros on Orbital's Brown Album (TIME BECOMES A LOOP, TIME BECOMES A LOOP, TIME BECOMES A LOOP, TIME BECOMES A LOOP....). Drives me nuts.

Archived