IGNORED

Bands that don't use melody in their music

Rubin Farr

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest bitroast

it's on the machinedrum comp so there "melodies" going on in the samples and stuff but all in all a pretty stripped back, drum machine only track I think.

(if you haven't heard this one, on the same compilation there's also the collab with venetian snares, which is interesting in itself for being venetian snares / autechre collab:)

spoiler because this is pretty irrelevant to the melody discussion hehe

http://www.discogs.com/Various-45-A-Tribute-To-Daniel-Hansson/release/1307559

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvzSINVVEbM

no, its people who don't actually "get" what a melody is. they have a rough understanding of it. you can make melody out of banging pots and pans in your kitchen cupboard.

lol, I think its more you who dont get what people mean when they say that autechre has no melodies.

Its arguable to say that autechre has very little melodic elements.

k, now you're switching to "very little melodic elements" when originally the gripe was no melody at all. i'd agree with the sparse melodic elements aspect.

I like to imagine you singing this to yourself while you wash the dishes in a cosy little sewer in a historic Brussels neighborhood. Jolly little tune!

Is he actually singing about anything or is that sort of missing the point? I can't really take death metal seriously though I like listening to Sunn O))) occasioanlly, but that's a bit more like dying in bed with lots of comfy pillows and maybe a cat or two to keep you company.

it's from one of my absolute favorite albums, he's actually gurgling lyrics, so brutal it's hilarious

it's pretty "idm" imo, makes me go berzerk apeshit and it's groovy, look it up, you might like it more then sunn o))) if you bite your teeth in it

seen them live once and is was exactly like the album, unbelievable!

Guest murphythecat8

no, its people who don't actually "get" what a melody is. they have a rough understanding of it. you can make melody out of banging pots and pans in your kitchen cupboard.

lol, I think its more you who dont get what people mean when they say that autechre has no melodies.

Its arguable to say that autechre has very little melodic elements.

k, now you're switching to "very little melodic elements" when originally the gripe was no melody at all. i'd agree with the sparse melodic elements aspect.

Ive never said that autechre has no melodic content.

maybe, just maybe, if theres so much people saying that autechre has no melodies, maybe its because there's some truth in that statement?

Not trying to knock you, but perhaps make an effort to explain to the rest what your stance is exactly.

maybe, just maybe, if theres so much people saying that autechre has no melodies, maybe its because there's some truth in that statement?

Not trying to knock you, but perhaps make an effort to explain to the rest what your stance is exactly.

Guest murphythecat8

I love autechre :) even though theres very little melodic content compared to the rest of music I listen to. I can find however, even in their percussion work, some sort of melodies. Of course theres melodies in autechre!

Besides a couple of noise album, I generally dont care at all ambient-noise and all that ben Frost vague.

I'm listening right now to paul motian- I have the room above her for example, so that may explain my taste.

Pitched percussion is the best.

I'm also a big fan of suggested-but-not-fully-realized melodies.

Both feature heavily in the chre.

ghost notes ftw

I also like in my music, using modular tricks to trigger shit in a way that is musical but not necessarily melodic? Like weird arrpeggios driven by some unknown mechanism

What we perceive as melody is heavily tied up to the idea of tonality. When electronic music was born some pioneers were against this system and saw electronic music as a way to sever ties with synthetic Western notion of hearing. Ironic how we argue about the necessity of melody in Autechre a century later. Is Indonesian gamelan music melodic?

Any questions regarding melody that begins with "bands" is far removed from any substantial consideration of music.

I'm pretty sure everyone's mind has been trained on mostly western musical ideas and for many, the IDMz was the first gateway to some other things. Confield is just a world music compilation? No but sorta. Alien world music. ???

Meanwhile, in the original post...

Autechre, particularly this century, have created music in which distinct melody and harmony do not seem to be the focus. Rhythm and texture tend to be the main elements of the music, and although there are definite tonal aspects, these seem to be more sparse and possibly more abstract than found in their earlier work (for example, tracks like 444, Slip, Rae, Pir, etc.)

This focus on 'sound' rather than more traditional 'tune' is symptomatic of a lot of modern IDM, as well as various other electronic sub-genres such as minimal techno, gabber, noise, drone and so on. In all of these cases, western tonality is considered normal/traditional, as in western society, this is the type of music we are exposed to for the most part, particularly in being introduced to music.

From the perspective of someone who enjoys rich, melodic and harmonic music - particularly in the context of western music - what is it about music which emphasises texture, rhythm, and alternative tonal perspectives that appeals to you - or, potentially, doesn't? Are rich melodies and heart-wrenching chord changes the main focus of your musical enjoyment, or do you prefer more challenging aspects, and if so, can you perhaps explain what it is about them you enjoy so much, to enlighten one who has a slightly more romantic perspective on music?

I think that's what he meant, anyway.

This focus on 'sound' rather than more traditional 'tune' is symptomatic of a lot of modern IDM

That's an interesting point - actually I think 'IDM' is often way more about sound than either intelligence or dancing

I think sound can evoke feelings other than what can be evoked with melody

Actually rhythm is a big focus too isn't it - and rhythm can evoke emotion

They say that rhythm is the soul of music

• 2 weeks later...

Archived