IGNORED

Besterest Wavetable synth/VST ?

mcbpete

Yeah kills my CPU too (Using Ableton as my DAW with an i7 processor). Shame it doesn't have a quality setting like in Diva for easily switching between live usage and offline rendering.

EDIT (4 days later): Yep it does Pete - It's in the Global -> Oscillator Settings -> Oversampling section

you can make your own wavetables using any synth or sound source you want.
a wavetable is just a very short wave file (or aiff) that changes over its duration.

the serum demo intalls samples (wavetables) in its installation folder. search for these, and...

open one up in sound forge, wavelab or wavosaur, it will be a tiny clip of only a few moments, it should make more sense then.

additive synthesis is when you have several to hundreds of oscillators at a fixed frequency, each with independent ADSR (to put it simply)
a great way to learn WTF is additive synthesis is to try the software called "harmonaut"

wavetable synthesis is so old and outdated imo. but the word sounds cool. 'morphing' is often just a crossfade between two samples that has been combined into one wavetable. can serum morph between any wavetable with any other wavetable?

Zebra2 has both additive, wavetable synthesis (as well as FM and wave drawing). but the wavetables are only 32 steps long i think. Serum loads longer samples (wavetables) but as i said, wavetable is sort of one trick pony, but I guess Serum is quite robust in its modulation capabilities aparrently. i don't use zebra2 because i find the controls to be too tiny, (makes me too conscious that i am using a fucking mouse to twiddle knobs) i have not tried serum yet as i prefer synthesizers to romplers just now.

PPG Wave (various models). Waldorf Wave. Waldorf Microwave 1. Prophet VS.

you make me curious. why not microwave 2? it's like a digital semi-modular, so many modulation possibilities!! i have the xt version, which is like a real knob twiddler's dream too, i love it! of course it's not everybody's cup of tea, but then again, that goes for wavetable synthesis as awhole...

The original Microwave (and the Wave, which is massive) had analogue filters and envelopes. The filters made a big difference in my opinion, the 2, XT and the Q were 100% digital. I'm sure they sound great, I've heard some good demos, but I prefer the original Microwave sound although it's a bastard to programme. I just got mine a few months ago and am still learning how it all works, definitely a lot more complicated than your average subtractive synth!

ahh i see. didn't know about the hybrid nature of the microwave! imo though, the weak point of the mw2/xt isn't so much the filters as the envelopes which are just too slow / imprecise. you can get some snappy hits and even drumsounds out of it, but it really shines with awesome ever changing pads, sfx and stuff like that...

wavetable synthesis is so old and outdated imo. but the word sounds cool.

yeah, it's like voltage controlled synths and analogue drum computers. who'd ever really want that in 2014? :wink:

Just bought Serum - Seeing it as a super long term investment. Even if it's killing my machine now, I look forward to the day where I have a machine that I can whack it on multiple tracks along with Diva for a smorgasbord of analogue and digital goodness.

Archived