IGNORED

my first true vintage track with loads of analogue warmth

Lucas

hi,

[sc5]172274724[/sc5]

thread title is a joke because that track has several outboard gear, you've been fooled sorry. But seriously I'm pretty excited about how my music installation evolved lately. I basically took a break from all the track projects staying unfinished on my computer, borrowed the dust-gathering MPC500 of my flatmate, bought me a good bass synth (Novation Bass Station 2), and for the first time of my life I'm now able to perform tracks without turning the computer on. Amazing isn't it?

Well at least I'm very excited about it. Of course I'm not able to bring my sounds to the level of depth I can reach using a computer (the Electribe SX isn't Renoise for example...) but it stimulates my inspiration very well. I don't want to start another debate on software vs. hardware so I'll stop with those kind of arguments.

For the pleasure of your ears I used a computer anyway for mastering purposes, but the mix was made directly on my Soundcraft GB2R-16. Well I also had to record the track and as I wasn't able to pass it in one take I edited it a little bit.

That's it, hope you like it! and thanks for those among you who oriented my choices in the development of my music installation!

correction : "thread title is a joke because that track has several DIGITAL outboard gear"

who cares anyway...

thanks guys for listening and giving feedback, that was nice

mmmm, i'm digging it!

The only thing i might suggest is to have the bass line drift away into a pool of reveb while cutting it off to sort of bring it back to how it began, but other than that i'm liking the general vibe

Happy to hear you're enjoying you're new set-up - i too find the tactile control of real gear is so much more rewarding when creating new ideas

I really dig the syncopated kick groove on this one, the forever detuning synths, the sparkly overtones. only suggestion would be to morph the sounds a bit more toward the end... of course, this would mean delving back into the computer arrangement realm which it sounds like you're trying to avoid, and it's really not all that crucial. I'm liking the vibe.

Wow, this is really nice!! super super clean yet warm and organic at the same time.

that's a really great kick (and snare!), and the groove is solid!

ps what's the source of those drums if you dont mind me asking? ... also the compression you have on them is just perfect.

wow, wasn't expecting to get that much replies, thanks guys.

@TriP and Zephyr Nova : yeah I know the way the track ends could be more memorable. It's the very first track originated in this new setup and I imposed myself going quickly in the process of making it. I'm sure I could come up with a more polished and deeper version but now I'm aiming at producing music more efficiently and learn from this new approach. Once I'll feel like I master the process better, getting the computer back into the game is definitely something I'm thinking about.

@ Lane Visitor : thanks! I was also surprised I could get that sound with the actual equipment / mixing chain I used : Electribe SX1 (beat), Novation Bass Station II (detuned bass), DX9 (FM-ish kinda-lead synth) and CS1X (pad at the end) sent into my Soundcraft GB2R-16 mixer (and all sequenced using a MPC500). I did the mix with the mixer's EQs (no external effects have been used except an Electro-Harmonix Memory Man delay pedal). Then I recorded several takes of the song into my computer using Reaper and made a mastering (EQ, compression, limiting, and reverb).

That's it! pretty simple in fact, quite limited as well but it really pushes you to fine tune everything on the hardware so that the whole mix sounds right, and I know that's a very good exercise. At some point I will probably want to go further with this setup, and the first thing to do will be to record each track individually using the direct outs of the mixer. But I'll wait to have more material before I do that.

@ StephenG : I don't know if you're referring to the cassette (if I remember well you're one of the few persons who purchased it lol) but yeah the music is pretty different. Although it has the same feel somehow as some more recent stuff I've been working on but which still didn't make it out of my computer. During the work related to the cassette release, I became aware of how nervous this music was and thought I might want to try relaxing my composition a little bit. As for a release of that kind of tracks, let's wait and see :)

Guest GateFour

Yeah, really liking the sound and punchiness of the drums, they're sitting really well in the mix. Liking the wonky synth lead as well. Good stuff.

• 4 weeks later...

[sc5]176228978[/sc5]

Sooo I finally could finish the second track I started with this new setup. A little addition, I borrowed a hardware reverb and it was even cooler to mix (although I just added more reverb with a vst as I sat in the studio and realized it needed more glue than I used during the recording). I also cheated with this constraint of doing "everything" on hardware a shade more : I used the intro bit at several places of the track in the background, and I also edited considerably the "snare solo" part before the end (which might sound kind of weird by the way, I dunno) because I suck at making live pad triggering on my Electribe and could't do that one take at all.

Anyway I'm happy with this track (it's very rare that I can still enjoy a track fully at the moment I'm sharing it online because of all the repeated listening of mixing etc..) and I hope you'll like it as well!

merci! first track I posted would need more work / development but it's the very first thing I made with this new setup so some energy went into taking control [insert lush beat here] of it. Well more control still has to be taken anyway. Glad you liked this second track. I didn't know you also make music (just noticed as you favourited the track) so I'll give it a try now!

Oh don't even mind it for now, I'm only getting started and just feel like releasing stuff is making me progress more than keeping it all for myself. The only problem with at is that my recent EP is making me cringe a lot, but my friends actually like it lol.

I have better shit in the making :emotawesomepm9: But thanks for listening !

Do you have any (self-)release planned ?

Oh don't even mind it for now, I'm only getting started and just feel like releasing stuff is making me progress more than keeping it all for myself. The only problem with at is that my recent EP is making me cringe a lot, but my friends actually like it lol.

late reply : I don't have any concrete plan in releasing something but definitely want to at some point. When I moved to Leipzig it's been a breakdown for music making and there were a couple of unfinished stuff I had in preparation, tracks I really liked because they were the beginning of a new sound I developed, relatively different from what you can hear on this cassette release (which I consider as containing say my firsts "achieved" tracks).

Here in Leipzig I've had less time to focus on my music at the beginning and began loads of things I didn't finished. There are some tracks I definitely want to finish but as I'm now taking this new direction with this hardware configuration I don't make any plan and make tracks as they come. I feel really inspired by this new setup though and I am a lot faster at beginning/finishing tracks so if I continue to have some good results I might want to release something with this material before get back to the older more computer-based material, with new insights.

As for your music, I think you're right to proceed like you do, it sure helps to come up with a concrete result that people listen to it, even if those people are just a couple of friends and family or something ;-). It allows you to take some distance with what you made and think what you want to develop in the future.

I think there are good ideas in there anyway and can imagine it begin something more once you feel more confident with production.

good luck!

late reply : I don't have any concrete plan in releasing something but definitely want to at some point. When I moved to Leipzig it's been a breakdown for music making and there were a couple of unfinished stuff I had in preparation, tracks I really liked because they were the beginning of a new sound I developed, relatively different from what you can hear on this cassette release (which I consider as containing say my firsts "achieved" tracks).

Here in Leipzig I've had less time to focus on my music at the beginning and began loads of things I didn't finished. There are some tracks I definitely want to finish but as I'm now taking this new direction with this hardware configuration I don't make any plan and make tracks as they come. I feel really inspired by this new setup though and I am a lot faster at beginning/finishing tracks so if I continue to have some good results I might want to release something with this material before get back to the older more computer-based material, with new insights.

As for your music, I think you're right to proceed like you do, it sure helps to come up with a concrete result that people listen to it, even if those people are just a couple of friends and family or something ;-). It allows you to take some distance with what you made and think what you want to develop in the future.

I think there are good ideas in there anyway and can imagine it begin something more once you feel more confident with production.

good luck!

Thanks man. I'll watch this thread/soundcloud closely !

I listened to the one on the first post. I liked the tight drum sounds. The detuning synth sounded kinda annoying at first, because it goes out of key with the rest of the track a bit, but I ended up liking it anyway. Nice 'n chill track. Could've maybe had some kind of a break or an additional part or melody but that's just my opinion. Great work.

I listened to the one on the first post. I liked the tight drum sounds. The detuning synth sounded kinda annoying at first, because it goes out of key with the rest of the track a bit, but I ended up liking it anyway. Nice 'n chill track. Could've maybe had some kind of a break or an additional part or melody but that's just my opinion. Great work.

yeah the first track could use some more work. second one is more accomplished. thanks for listening

fantastic sound

thanks! glad you like

Archived