IGNORED

DC Comics Movies

Rubin Farr

yeah the football scene is a little bit corny but there's plenty of good reasons for it. the character originally got big in really old comic strips and serials (the short skits theyd show at movie theaters that were almost like a tv show that would continue as a series, each one usually ending in cliffhangers), so to a big degree the 1980 movie is kind of paying homage to that origin with a little intentional cheese. 2ndly the character is an american pro football player.

but i love the fact that its almost like a psychedelic star wars. very colorful, awesome sets, great characters, awesome synth soundtrack (queen did the soundtrack but mostly you could never tell because its almost all synths), over the top ridiculous stuff and legitimately awesome moments. the swamp is great, and of course there's this

3223a.jpgprincess-aura-daughter-of-ming-the-merci

totally idm movie, fun as hell, dont understand how it isn't 10x more well known than it is. the ending is mad climactic too, in the cheesiest but awesomest possible way

fucking none of those DC movies are probably going to be 1/5th as creative and well executed as flash gordon was

edit- and thats in spite of the fact that the plot of flash gordon does involve 'saving the world' but its handled as kind of a background thing since you dont really see earth or the people there, and its not always the immediate goal

• 9 months later...
  • Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

with Batman v Superman and Suicide Squad, it sounds like DC is really setting up Superman to be the villain of this universe, at least to humans. I mean, at least that's a refreshing take on their comics, we know Lex is in the wings, as is probably Doomsday. Of course, any intergalactic conflict will eventually involve Darkseid (basically DC's Thanos). but how cool would it be to actually show the Fourth World characters of Jack Kirby? I could see, after Justice League Part II, that the story moves off Earth, like in Guardians of the Galaxy, to show the cosmic DC Universe? Seeing a New Gods-inspired film is a dream of mine, but using the word "God" in an American release is a loaded weapon. Do you want to see Darkseid portrayed on film? how about the rest of the New Gods characters? The spinoff possibilities are endless, if it's successful.

[youtubehd]WI3hecGO_04[/youtubehd]

with Batman v Superman and Suicide Squad, it sounds like DC is really setting up Superman to be the villain of this universe, at least to humans. I mean, at least that's a refreshing take on their comics, we know Lex is in the wings, as is probably Doomsday. Of course, any intergalactic conflict will eventually involve Darkseid (basically DC's Thanos). but how cool would it be to actually show the Fourth World characters of Jack Kirby? I could see, after Justice League Part II, that the story moves off Earth, like in Guardians of the Galaxy, to show the cosmic DC Universe? Seeing a New Gods-inspired film is a dream of mine, but using the word "God" in an American release is a loaded weapon. Do you want to see Darkseid portrayed on film? how about the rest of the New Gods characters? The spinoff possibilities are endless, if it's successful.

It's going to be hard to make Darkseid look anything but an embarrassing Thanos rip off to the general public.

Chris Pratt would have been a perfect Orion, now that I think of it.

• 5 months later...

Ah, yes. Brown, orange, grey and black. I like the four shoulder lens flares they squeezed in there. Such artistry.

The concept art for Justice League looks just as dour and colorless as every other Zack Snyder film

61854F32-2E70-4A72-A7F6-2371A057572B_zps

I don't like this smug generalization. This isn't a blog. Look man, Narnia 4, is it happening or not? There's a whole cinematic universe out there in Narnia world if you watch the first three films. I for one gasped in awe at all the connections.

imagines Rubin's future review, "it's like a bad anime".

All US animation sickens me, it's so half arsed and cheap, I can almost smell the overweight accountant's cheap perfume from here. Japanese art isn't as fully consumed by the cheap and half arsed.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest bitroast

ugh

i guess its maybe not the most warranted ugh. but it's an ugh nonetheless. it's kind of directed at all the IGNs and etc. out there that are pushing this film out there to the masses because its based on a comic that is widely acclaimed and generally known about, as opposed to be something that is interesting for its own reasons or has any merit in existing as a standalone animated film. that kind of 'ugh'.

Looks cheap and terrible. There's no artistry there. When did this standard of animation become acceptable? That animation style is all over and it's soulless garbage. I'd much rather read the comic book again.

Why would anyone choose that over the comic? The world has gone mad I tell you! Get off my lawn!

Bruce Timm, Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill. Some of you would never be satisfied but I'm looking forward to it. The Suicide Squad and Dark Knight Returns animated films have been good.

Guest bitroast

ye. caught the Dark Knight Returns film at a mates place and honestly didn't get it. where was the lush frank miller dirty artwork. oh well, each to their own. :^)

that lineup of voice actors seems very classic batman animated series and tru to the original, which is sweet. different flavours.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived