IGNORED

how do I add my Roland System-1 as a plug-out software synth?

Guest mrgerbik

Guest mrgerbik

I'm trying to add the SH-101 plug-out to my Roland System-1. to update the synth (System-1) so it can use the plug-out function, it must be activated through a DAW (after downloading and installing the package).

How do I add the SH-101 as a plug-in instrument in Logic X Pro? I'm going nuts trying to get this working, and I know my DAW is compatible with this plug-out software...

p.s. my System-1 works fine in the DAW as a controller and is able to use all the included Logic plug-ins.

Guest mrgerbik

In all honesty you're probably the only person on WATMM who owns a System-1. You'd b best off contacting Roland or reading the manual

manual read (much like the rules). followed instructions to a tee; poured through help in Logic, and all Roland will tell me is which DAW's are compatible with adding the plug-out (and mine is). grrrr

haven't got a system 1 myself but wouldn't you just use the SH-101 plugin like any other plugin in logic? i assume there is an AU version? if not that might be your problem. have you ever installed any other non logic plugins before? when you say the system 1 is "able to use all the included logic plugins" i take it you mean you can control the included logic plugins with the system 1 - like, you can turn a knob on the system 1 and a corresponding knob turns on the logic plugin? from what i know, you need to like, load the SH-101 into the system 1 so you can use it completely standalone if required ( hence plug-out nomenclature)...seems like you might have to load it into the system 1 via a DAW which would lead me to surmise you need to a: make sure the plugin it's compatible with logic (AU not VST) and b: if it is compatible you need to tell logic where to look for external plugins, scan thay folder and then it should appear as a software instrument you can use and presumably load into the system 1...dunno, all guess work as I've never used one....read the manual innit.

Guest mrgerbik

haven't got a system 1 myself but wouldn't you just use the SH-101 plugin like any other plugin in logic? i assume there is an AU version? if not that might be your problem... surmise you need to a: make sure the plugin it's compatible with logic (AU not VST) and b: if it is compatible you need to tell logic where to look for external plugins, scan thay folder and then it should appear as a software instrument you can use and presumably load into the system 1...

I see that with the installation of the SH-101 plug out 2 files are written into library/plugins... "sh-101.component" and "sh-101.vst3". there is no AU file anywhere that i can find (which is what I need it appears) and I can find no other (au) version of the plug-in. found this which suggests there is an au version:

http://www.roland.com/support/article/?q=confirmation&p=PG%2DSH101&id=63196233

I'm running Mac OSX 10.9.5 and have Logic X Pro, FL Studio 11 and GarageBand. do I really need to get Cubase 7.5 to use the vst3 file and get this working?

Guest mrgerbik

edit: I was able to load the sh-101 plug-in in GarageBand 10 and activated the plug-out. now if I could just figure out how to use in Logic Pro X...

you want the .component one - this is the AU version. copy this into your plugin folder (library/audio/plug-ins/components) then when you restart logic it should find it automatically as this is where it will look for plugins by default. this is also where you would put any other external AU plugins. you will need your admin password for your mac to copy into this folder.

also, if you're using logic pro x it needs to be a 64 bit plugin as it won't recognise 32 bit ones (they removed this compatibility in logic pro x), not sure if the sh-101 plugin is 64 bit, should be...

Guest mrgerbik

you want the .component one - this is the AU version. copy this into your plugin folder (library/audio/plug-ins/components) then when you restart logic it should find it automatically as this is where it will look for plugins by default. this is also where you would put any other external AU plugins. you will need your admin password for your mac to copy into this folder.

also, if you're using logic pro x it needs to be a 64 bit plugin as it won't recognise 32 bit ones (they removed this compatibility in logic pro x), not sure if the sh-101 plugin is 64 bit, should be...

that's exactly where the sh-101.component is at.

and the plug-in is 64-bit, both the AU and VST3 versions. the AU one is compatible with Logic X Pro, and is exactly where it should be (folder-wise). this is my frustration =/

Guest mrgerbik

finally got the plug-ins to run correctly in Logic. unfortunately when I click the plug-out options (for both the SH-101 and SH-2) I get a "MIDI communication failed". no data sent to System-1. heh...

Archived