IGNORED

LE GUESS WHO - Utrecht, 20.-23. Nov. [Autechre, Swans, Wire...]

jaderpansen

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

aye, i'll be in front of tivoli around 20.30 looking for a non english speaking couple with child plus dude, a frog and fenriz screaming the codeword at the top of my lungs (being "wattuuum" or "sean pls" i guess?) :)

... freaking tomorrow, wohoo!

aye, i'll be in front of tivoli around 20.30 looking for a non english speaking couple with child plus dude, a frog and fenriz screaming the codeword at the top of my lungs (being "wattuuum" or "sean pls" i guess?) :)

... freaking tomorrow, wohoo!

Haha, I'll definitely give a shout back then! You can't miss me, 2 meters in the air, probably wearing my Exai shirt, walking with a Fenriz lookalike, sort of.

I'll be going to my fave burgerbar in Utrecht before that btw if anyone is out of ideas - http://www.smakers.nl/and I'll be inside around 20.30 because we're planning to go see Savages.

How was the Autechre show?!?!?

great! i think it was the longest set of the tour so far bringing lots of new shit to the table towards the end... will ul recording soon, but i'm on feet since yesterday 11.30 am now, just arrived home, will try to get some rest first...

p.s.: imo swans were fucking massive, too!

Hello, Autechre performed a fine show indeed. I recorded the show with my iphone. Do you have some advice on how to improve the recording?

Swans was great too yeah, I left near the end to see Tim Hecker, great mistake cuz it sucked balls.

Winged Victory for the Sullen at the Janskerk was great too. Esp. near the end when they played tracks from the first album.

Alright, back on my feet again after a pretty exhausting weekend.

First of all, props to the venue, everything was sorted out perfectly, a beautiful and huge venue, nice beers, relaxed security, great sound, lots of seated places in most of the venues, and when the fire alarm went off everything went smooth too... (did anyone else catch that?). A few lines at the start but that quickly dissolved.

We arrived when Savages & Bo Ningen started and were completely blown away. Incredible live show, what more can I say? Absolute highlight. After that we just wandered around the venues, stumbling across some singer-songwriter stuff that was really not our cup of tea, sat through Wire after that which was good allround but could do without the vocals... Nice blast from the past.

Then Swans. Seeing them twice in two months I was expecting them to do the exact same set. Luckily only 3 out of 6 tracks were the same but it was just as impressive as the first time. Best live-act atm by far. They took me to another world.

Then everybody walked out, the fire alarm went off, we hung outside the venue for a while and prepared for Autechre. Completely forgot that Tim Hecker was even playing unfortunately, but lucky for me I didn't miss much because apparently the sound was way too loud and now I could prepare for Autechre (read: getting my beer and whisky prepped before the bar and the venue closed down just for AE: you couldn't enter, only leave). I started out at the side of the stage in a seated place, but as soon as the lights went out every dipshit around me whipped out their lonesome device and lit up the seated place, blinding me in the process, so I stumbled to the front of the stage and completely lost my shit for an hour. Finally a live-act where people were 100% focussed on the music, not constantly walking around getting beer, etc. Everybody around me was dancing like autistic robot humans while my mate (who really hated Autechre after hearing 'only' Exai) chilled out against the wall and really dug it too. Can't compare the show to the Brussel or Krakow gigs as I didn't properly listen to them (yet), but fuck me, that was some intense stuff. I loved the couple of bars that went totally 4/4 before being completely shattered again, and there were some amazing spaced out ambient-like parts in between the madness. Also, there were some stoners (I presume) that put their head against the front of the stage, standing close next to each other and didn't move for the entire hour, almost worshipping the sounds.

After that we gave our last bit of energy to Hieroglyphic Being, the man who couldn't look anymore bored while making great live music, and some random party DJ that was in the middle of the hall on some floor. I left it at that and prepared for a long way home.

I wasn't online to tell, but the whole 24 hour dronefest with all performances by William Basinski and Stephen O' Malley were broadcasted live, so I spent my sunday listening to that pretty much.

Great festival, regret not going to the other days as well. 10/10

Thanks for the recording btw Quoth :)!

Funny how it started smelling like weed just 2 secs after the lights went out lol

I left before Hieroglyphic Being (did check out the Funckarma set a bit tho which was p. cool), but might as well have seen him cuz I caught a train at 4:07.

uploaded in that other thread in ae subforum...

yeah tivoli's one huge ass place, no wonder the meetup didn't come to be despite my yelling XD... anyway good fucking times! i stayed there til ca. 7.30h, turned out the house of cosy cushions actually HAD cushions lying around, noice! :)

and yeah i noticed the alarm, escalators weren't moving for a while...

10/10

sounds exactly like the krakow event Ae are evil

keep listening til the end, it's quite different actually!

Archived