IGNORED

Tangerine Dream - Mala Kunia (16/11/14)

BOCfan

Tangerine Dream will be playing some concerts in mid-November in Australia, and to coincide with this they will be releasing a new EP, Mala Kunia. The release will be 55mins long and feature brand new compositions created by the current line-up of the group, Edgar Froese, Thorsten Quaeschning, Hoshiko Yamane, and (excitingly on my part) Ulrich Schnauss.

You can pre-order it at the link below and if you're one of the first 100 to do so, you get a postcard that's been signed by all four members of the group.

https://www.ssl-id.de/edgarfroese.de/shop/products.php?p=864064

So long since I've heard from them. I bought everything they've ever released up until 1997 but they kind of fell of the map after that - seems like they had a lot of personnel changes in later years. True electronic pioneers whose creative output during the 70s and 80s thoroughly puts today's artists to shame.

My cutoff point is Underwater Sunlight (lovely record); everything from the Melrose Years onwards tends to make me cringe, the odd track aside (usually pieces by Jerome or Thorsten) - I'm hoping the arrival of Ulrich Schnauss might hold Edgar back from churning out six CDs of 'dull sequence + 4/4 beat' every year and maybe even come up with something decent...

Apparently I read somewhere that Ulrich can identify even all their bootleg recordings dating back to the early 70s simply after the first second or two. He's like an uber-fan of the band.

My cutoff point is Underwater Sunlight (lovely record); everything from the Melrose Years onwards tends to make me cringe, the odd track aside (usually pieces by Jerome or Thorsten) - I'm hoping the arrival of Ulrich Schnauss might hold Edgar back from churning out six CDs of 'dull sequence + 4/4 beat' every year and maybe even come up with something decent...

Underwater Sunlight is maybe one of the best electronic albums ever. Back in 1987, it was just about the best thing I'd ever heard. I played it non-stop for weeks.

Apparently I read somewhere that Ulrich can identify even all their bootleg recordings dating back to the early 70s simply after the first second or two. He's like an uber-fan of the band.

hah !! nice anecdote. ;-]

Love the Miracle Mile soundtrack, one of their best IMO.

All their albums from the late 60s up until the late 1990s are just fucking amazing even (more) now - especially when you look at the lazy output of today's so-called electronic big-hitters.

In electronic music, they were simply the masters.

'Le Parc', 'Underwater Sunlight', 'Optical Race', 'Phadrea', 'Logos', 'Hyperborea' - the list is just endless.

I think I better just get down on my knees.

That new come in exactly in the middle of one of those Edgar Froese (solo releases from end of the 70's) times i'm running through.

I must admit I never gave real attention to Tangerine Dreams albums, what is the one I should give a try considering the love I have for Stuntman?

I used to love hearing Johannes Schmoelling's Zoo of Tranquility on community radio back in high school, they would always play it late at nite as I was drifting off...

yeah, That was an excellent album. Another one I played for months when I was a teenager. My friends just thought I was weird.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived