This story suggests that we're already in the early phases of becoming cyborgs, more or less (TL;DR Warning)
http://s.telegraph.co.uk/graphics/projects/the-future-is-android/index.html

Sorry if this is too broad of a topic. But I think its relevance to present times will become more genuine as the years go on.

What are your thoughts? Should this tech be limited to amputees or disabled persons? Hypothetically, if you volunteered to get augmented, what kind of enhancements would you want?

gonna read, thanks.

But yeah, it's imminent (I know "imminent" is a new word for everyone in this forum but just look it up on google) I only hope we, at least, could have the freedom to decide if we want to enter this new "human" phase. I'd certainly say nah, but because my generation is the last one that will not be completely driven by digital technology. Future babies will (sadly for us, grateful for the people in the future) have genetic modifications and all that shit. But at those times it will be completely normal. Normal as circumcision, lel. But yeah, times change, evolution is inexorable, wheather we like it or not.

Seriously though I don't think this "cyborg" shit will ever catch on in the mainstream because people are so motivated by sex and the whole thing is so unsexy. The vibrating penis implant bit in the article was a nice half-cocked attempt at addressing that, straight out of the 90s cyberspace playbook.

It's cool that people are experimenting with it though, especially those using it to overcome physical setbacks.

there was a webpage about augmentation, fuck, what was it called.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transhumanism ?

I've seen a small doc about transhumanism once, the people in it seemed weird and latently misantrophic people who wanted to robotify themselves just for the sake of it and throwing whatever scientific philosophical mumbojumbo at it for justification

there was a webpage about augmentation, fuck, what was it called.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transhumanism ?

I've seen a small doc about transhumanism once, the people in it seemed weird and latently misantrophic people who wanted to robotify themselves just for the sake of it and throwing whatever scientific philosophical mumbojumbo at it for justification

nah, it was a sort of joke I think, it got supposedly hacked later on, or something I think the name was "siri industries" or something, probably not siri, something else. Can't be arsed to look for it.

My whole life I've felt like a giraffe, which has caused me extreme emotional problems. I've never actually been a giraffe or experienced life as one, but my feels are too strong to ignore. What I most desire is for a surgeon to fillet my penis and sculpt it into that of a giraffe's member so that I can stop feeling so alone, alienated, unloved. But today I woke up and was like fuck it, YOLO

My wife is gonna be stoked about this can't wait to drop the news.

Think that initially a small subset of people will get augmentations, probably the ones that are into body modification. Once the augmentations get useful and not noticeable they might get more common. But it will be a long time before that happens. First need to get good functional prostheses for those that need them.

But I am pretty sure human augmentation will be a thing sometime in the future and probably worth thinking about the implications now rather than later when it is too late. This goes for any other advanced technology that has potential to change the world.

People are pretty close to cyborgs with their smartphones that they can't be without.

edit , not in reply to azatoth (please don't bring your ire down upon me brah, we lush).

yes, we'll never have self driving cars, there's no progression in technology ever. crikey !!

Sure a telegraph article is not the best way to start a thread like this, but some of the ignorant comments. The stuff people will have will be integrated into the body, it'll be subtle but eventually very powerful. Self healing, enhanced mind and body. There are multiple areas of attack for these problems as well, from the purely mechanical like those arms attached to nerves in the chest, to tweaks on our biology, like making blood more efficient at carrying oxygen around. And this is being developed all over the world and will be a part of most of you and me eventually.

Then there's these kooky looking cyborg people that telegraph article in it's simple way wants to serve up to us as an example of the future. Even those crude looking enhancements will be a temptation to some, the type of cultural antagonist that today puts on bad clothes from the 90's (or five years ago the eighties), will want to do this. Ditto, the people that thought sticking pins and metal studs through every part of their industrial black vinyl and leather draped body was just amazing and improved their life to no end.

Don't get me wrong...it'll be great for people who want to change their body to be able to do so

I just don't at all buy into that post-humanist vision of the future

Where every single person is a fucking cyborg

Not to mention the nanotechnology pipe dreams of 'smart walls' being everywhere

My landlord can't even fix the damn heat

So fucking forget about him installing any kinda minority report shit in the walls

Watched a michio kaku lecture about what the future will look like:

The one thing futurists always get wrong

Is overestimating how much technical advances will benefit the average person

Machines were supposed to give us all a 20-hour work week

But Instead, workers are just being exploited more efficiently

What would really be useful is a kind of profile or readout of your body type, metabolism, genetic predispositions, etc that would be kept a secret between you and your physician. It would be like an instruction manual to be your healthiest and happiest. Cheat codes to biohacks and shortcuts to be a sex god on Siberian ginseng freebase crack rocks.

Electro drugs, possibly. Granted, I can do this shit with meditation, but it'd be cool to be able to flick my fingernail and startup "roll hard, plus I-just-ate-pizza satiation". But I'm pretty cool with the "limitations" of humans, which I think barely anyone gets close to anyway. Such limitations are what make things beautiful. If everything became manually customizable eventually-- well, I've definitely made mistakes, so I'd rather not accidentally set "orgasm mode" on "infinite". Such tech is towards some sort of idealistic perfection with no downs, but the downs are required for true ups. I wrote electro drugs would be cool, but at the same time, I don't need an infinitely rising coke+meth peak. But maybe I'll replace my left knee with a tape roll that is refilled by dead skin cell tech, so that way when I'm putting together cardboard boxes, I can just use my knee dispenser.

Electro drugs, possibly. Granted, I can do this shit with meditation, but it'd be cool to be able to flick my fingernail and startup "roll hard, plus I-just-ate-pizza satiation". But I'm pretty cool with the "limitations" of humans, which I think barely anyone gets close to anyway. Such limitations are what make things beautiful. If everything became manually customizable eventually-- well, I've definitely made mistakes, so I'd rather not accidentally set "orgasm mode" on "infinite". Such tech is towards some sort of idealistic perfection with no downs, but the downs are required for true ups. I wrote electro drugs would be cool, but at the same time, I don't need an infinitely rising coke+meth peak. But maybe I'll replace my left knee with a tape roll that is refilled by dead skin cell tech, so that way when I'm putting together cardboard boxes, I can just use my knee dispenser.

tumblr_inline_n8rsf6w1XG1rybl62.gif

Archived