I pray my dick get big as the Eiffel tower so I can fuck the world for 72 hours.

i wish there was some way that i could play basketball in the rain and not get wet. now wouldn't that be great?

You guys make my heart full of hope for the human condition.

Electro drugs, possibly. Granted, I can do this shit with meditation, but it'd be cool to be able to flick my fingernail and startup "roll hard, plus I-just-ate-pizza satiation". But I'm pretty cool with the "limitations" of humans, which I think barely anyone gets close to anyway. Such limitations are what make things beautiful. If everything became manually customizable eventually-- well, I've definitely made mistakes, so I'd rather not accidentally set "orgasm mode" on "infinite". Such tech is towards some sort of idealistic perfection with no downs, but the downs are required for true ups. I wrote electro drugs would be cool, but at the same time, I don't need an infinitely rising coke+meth peak. But maybe I'll replace my left knee with a tape roll that is refilled by dead skin cell tech, so that way when I'm putting together cardboard boxes, I can just use my knee dispenser.

Don't you think by exploring the possibilities of human modification that we move ourselves closer towards enlightenment? I sure do. Having the option to set your mind to constant "coke high" would teach people more about themselves and their own limitations. Most importantly what they need to be in a state of happiness and peace. There are also a shit load of practical applications for being able to set your body to something like "no sleep" mode.

Also, to whomever said that robotic bits aren't sexy, they will be made to look human, and or, aesthetically pleasing like dildos for instance.

I pray my dick get big as the Eiffel tower so I can fuck the world for 72 hours.

i wish there was some way that i could play basketball in the rain and not get wet. now wouldn't that be great?

You guys make my heart full of hope for the human condition.

we don't need alterations

the human condition is already 'mint'

Electro drugs, possibly. Granted, I can do this shit with meditation, but it'd be cool to be able to flick my fingernail and startup "roll hard, plus I-just-ate-pizza satiation". But I'm pretty cool with the "limitations" of humans, which I think barely anyone gets close to anyway. Such limitations are what make things beautiful. If everything became manually customizable eventually-- well, I've definitely made mistakes, so I'd rather not accidentally set "orgasm mode" on "infinite". Such tech is towards some sort of idealistic perfection with no downs, but the downs are required for true ups. I wrote electro drugs would be cool, but at the same time, I don't need an infinitely rising coke+meth peak. But maybe I'll replace my left knee with a tape roll that is refilled by dead skin cell tech, so that way when I'm putting together cardboard boxes, I can just use my knee dispenser.

Don't you think by exploring the possibilities of human modification that we move ourselves closer towards enlightenment? I sure do. Having the option to set your mind to constant "coke high" would teach people more about themselves and their own limitations. Most importantly what they need to be in a state of happiness and peace. There are also a shit load of practical applications for being able to set your body to something like "no sleep" mode.

Also, to whomever said that robotic bits aren't sexy, they will be made to look human, and or, aesthetically pleasing like dildos for instance.

that reminds me of the article that was posted here about electrical impulses to certain parts of the brain causing drug feelings or whatever.. i don't know if that's really possible but hey

What is this "enlightenment" you speak of? What does it entail? Not dissing or anything just curious on how human augmentation would work towards it. I am not even sure what enlightenment really is.

that reminds me of the article that was posted here about electrical impulses to certain parts of the brain causing drug feelings or whatever.. i don't know if that's really possible but hey

Transcranial direct current stimulation (tdcs) is what you're referring to. Used for many purposes like faster learning and activating different areas of the brain.

What is this "enlightenment" you speak of? What does it entail? Not dissing or anything just curious on how human augmentation would work towards it. I am not even sure what enlightenment really is.

One could infinitely expound on the idea of enlightenment, but to me it is rather simplistic. It's being locked into a specific frequency of existence wherein there is an emphasis on peaceful coexistence, positive personal and social advancement, oneness, and understanding. Basically, shedding the animal from our being, and becoming more than. It's a state of being as a species where large scale violent conflict doesn't exist. Where the fortunate help the unfortunate to greatly diminish suffering. Where we've come to understand ourselves; Our biology and our souls to a point that we can bring as many people as possible into this frequency. I personally think you can see this happening already. The internet has accelerated it. Truth is becoming more evident in all aspects of society. We are beginning to master our biology. I've also felt this "frequency". It's not a state that is easy to maintain. It requires proactive behavior. It requires an element of selflessness. But I don't think I can convey properly what I mean. You know, when your biology is working in unison with your spirituality. You just feel love. If you can get everyone to feel this way then major doors open up for our species. And I think it's our duty as a species to push the boundaries of our existence as far as we can, because as of right now we have to assume that we are the shepherds of the universe until we have information to the contrary. So, we need to learn how to keep this amazing thing going as long as we can, because we've been blessed with existing. We've been given the opportunity to feel love, excitement, fear, hate, and all these other things. We've been given vessels with which we can manipulate reality, and we've been given intelligence beyond anything else we've ever encountered. The cynical people I'm sure can point out all these negative things about us, but we are still just infants. We've made tons of mistakes, and we continue to do so, but we are getting better. I think we just need leaders to push the potential of everyone. Real leaders. I see the capability in most people to reach vastly higher levels of existence. I feel it in myself. We just need to work together and show each other the way. We have to all begin to invest time and energy into each other. The function of augmentation would be to master our biology and expand its capability. I can't really fathom what the potential results of this would be.

Transcranial direct current stimulation (tdcs) is what you're referring to. Used for many purposes like faster learning and activating different areas of the brain.

One could infinitely expound on the idea of enlightenment, but to me it is rather simplistic. It's being locked into a specific frequency of existence wherein there is an emphasis on peaceful coexistence, positive personal and social advancement, oneness, and understanding. Basically, shedding the animal from our being, and becoming more than. It's a state of being as a species where large scale violent conflict doesn't exist. Where the fortunate help the unfortunate to greatly diminish suffering. Where we've come to understand ourselves; Our biology and our souls to a point that we can bring as many people as possible into this frequency. I personally think you can see this happening already. The internet has accelerated it. Truth is becoming more evident in all aspects of society. We are beginning to master our biology. I've also felt this "frequency". It's not a state that is easy to maintain. It requires proactive behavior. It requires an element of selflessness. But I don't think I can convey properly what I mean. You know, when your biology is working in unison with your spirituality. You just feel love. If you can get everyone to feel this way then major doors open up for our species. And I think it's our duty as a species to push the boundaries of our existence as far as we can, because as of right now we have to assume that we are the shepherds of the universe until we have information to the contrary. So, we need to learn how to keep this amazing thing going as long as we can, because we've been blessed with existing. We've been given the opportunity to feel love, excitement, fear, hate, and all these other things. We've been given vessels with which we can manipulate reality, and we've been given intelligence beyond anything else we've ever encountered. The cynical people I'm sure can point out all these negative things about us, but we are still just infants. We've made tons of mistakes, and we continue to do so, but we are getting better. I think we just need leaders to push the potential of everyone. Real leaders. I see the capability in most people to reach vastly higher levels of existence. I feel it in myself. We just need to work together and show each other the way. We have to all begin to invest time and energy into each other. The function of augmentation would be to master our biology and expand its capability. I can't really fathom what the potential results of this would be.

Wait so you can get enlightenment from setting yourself to constant coke-high mode? And consequently just being in a state of un-earned mental peace? And all this assumes that you will be buying your way into enlightenment? pardon my lol

So by putting some magic chips in our heads, we're all going to collectively get along better as a species?

What I understand "enlightenment" to mean is something more like embracing your situation and existence and doing what you can in that context rather than pining about how much better things could be if only some condition were true. This seems to me like almost the polar opposite of that, like a superhero fantasy.

Also, how is this stuff going to make people more intelligent? I think intelligence is a lot more complex than applying pressure to certain neural receptors at the right time. Also, on the gene splicing tip, I read recently that scientists were looking in the human genome for intelligence markers and couldn't find jack shit.

Again, I don't think we'll have an army of cyber-soldiers rise up and take over the world any time soon, or people who can shoot frickin' lazer beamz from their heads necessarily. But I still believe we're on a new frontier as to defying limits on what the human body is capable of. And I think as a species we're gonna continue to see how far we can go with mechanical modifications (not to mention genetic).
Hell, did anyone back in 1994 think we'd have handheld phones we could surf the web, watch videos, and play games on?

Anyway, while I personally wouldn't have need of augmentations unless I were to lose a limb or organ in an accident, the naysayers who claim this technology has no potential might consider this video from two years ago:
[youtubehd]_qUPnnROxvY[/youtubehd]

Kurzweil, the award-winning creator of the flatbed scanner, also believes he has a shot at immortality and intends to resurrect the dead, including his own father.

I honestly find this idea very frightening

If you watch the Kurzweil doc, it's pretty clear there's alot of wishful thinking going on with him. For instance, he thinks that Moore's Law somehow dictates that we'll figure out how to simulate consciousness within his lifetime. The one has nothing to do with the other.

Kurzweil, the award-winning creator of the flatbed scanner, also believes he has a shot at immortality and intends to resurrect the dead, including his own father.

Sounds a bit far-fetched to be plausible though. I mean, how would that work? Install some cyber implants into the dead, and fire electrodes into their bodies and turn them into cyber-zombies, or some shit? I believe that's in the Ed Wood territory of lunacy. EDIT: Ignore that last bit. Please.

Once again, I think the most practical approach in this is to develop fully (if not extra) functional prosthetic limbs or synthetic organs for physically disabled patients. But I would strongly oppose sacrificing an already good body part to put some fancy cyber-bling in place of it as a mere fashion statement. In other words, augment responsibly.

Sounds a bit far-fetched to be plausible though. I mean, how would that work? Install some cyber implants into the dead, and fire electrodes into their bodies and turn them into cyber-zombies, or some shit? I believe that's in the Ed Wood territory of lunacy.

Once again, I think the most practical approach in this is to develop fully (if not extra) functional prosthetic limbs or synthetic organs for physically disabled patients. But I would strongly oppose sacrificing an already good appendage to put some fancy cyber-bling in place of it as a mere fashion statement. In other words, augment responsibly.

No, no. The idea is to make an atom-for-atom 3D scan of their brain, and then run their consciousness on a computer, like software.

In theory, consciousness is just an emergent property of the brain, and in theory re-creating it would only require re-creating the exact physical state of the brain. That is: there doesn't appear to be any magical ingredient to consciousness beyond the physical stuff.

Sounds a bit far-fetched to be plausible though. I mean, how would that work? Install some cyber implants into the dead, and fire electrodes into their bodies and turn them into cyber-zombies, or some shit? I believe that's in the Ed Wood territory of lunacy.

Once again, I think the most practical approach in this is to develop fully (if not extra) functional prosthetic limbs or synthetic organs for physically disabled patients. But I would strongly oppose sacrificing an already good appendage to put some fancy cyber-bling in place of it as a mere fashion statement. In other words, augment responsibly.

No, no. The idea is to make an atom-for-atom 3D scan of their brain, and then run their consciousness on a computer, like software.

In theory, consciousness is just an emergent property of the brain, and in theory re-creating it would only require re-creating the exact physical state of the brain. That is: there doesn't appear to be any magical ingredient to consciousness beyond the physical stuff.

But this begs the philosophical question. Is that consciousness really you?

But this begs the philosophical question. Is that consciousness really you?

After being exposed to Derek Parfit's ideas, I've come to believe that identity--the sense of 'self'...the feeling of "I am me"--is a sort-of illusion. The only things that prop up the illusory continuity of 'self' are 1) memories, and 2) subconscious processes that we're mostly unaware of anyway. You are not your body. You are not even riding around in your body, as it tends to feel. You are a sense field upon which things play out: your thoughts*, your kinesthetic sensations, the sights and sounds and smells around you, etc.

Your memories--which are what give you the day-to-day feeling of continually being 'you'--are simply thoughts playing upon the sense field that is 'you'.

That being the case: is a simulated consciousness really you? Depends what you mean by 'you.' If your memories are intact, you will feel as much like 'you' as you do now. You certainly wouldn't be comprised of the same atoms (or any atoms, perhaps) that you are now. But once again, the feeling that "I am me" is a sort-of illusion. As a matter of experience, all that is required for you to be you is to be conscious and to have your memories and to have your inbuilt subconscious clockwork intact.

Now, there's one factor that always get left out of this discussion that is a huge potential wrench-in-the-works for Kurzweil's dream (let's call it). Our bodies play a huge role in our inner lives. This was a sort of obsession of William James'. It appears that we need physiological feedback from our bodies to experience emotion. It's not clear whether an artificial consciousness--at least as proposed by Kurzweil et all--could feel emotion.

*Your thoughts simply happen. You do not 'think' your thoughts. You do not author your thoughts. Rather, you are a mere witness to them. And if you think you author your thoughts, then tell me: what is your next thought going to be?

this just looks like another step in the fragmentation of individuals. This "post-humanism" thing is very freaky to me and I seriously hope that alternatives to the actual development of our world will eventually become important enough so that we avoid this shameful lapse.

Technology never has and never could fully realize the potential of human consciousness or anything enlightenment related-- we can only get close. Even at this point in time, I do believe MDMA and LSD/shrooms have the power to save humanity from its retarded self. But even then, even knowing love, and being content, and realizing the illusory nature of separated consciousness, we still have to act and move. The flaw of many monks (and I've gone this route as well), was to realize extremely high levels of mind/body/body-energy manipulation, to experience and live from states of bliss that most will not ever come close to. But this neglects the body, as they know consciousness is infinite and can exist without physicality, but they are defeating the whole purpose of having existed in physicality. Western science has gone the other route, feeling that physical modifications can be the end all in creating an idealistic human (though it wholly disregards the true nature of happiness by assuming mere serotonin/endorphin modz equate usable happiness)-- kind of where this thread is. But the point is, one still has to act- one still has to "move". So even if technology can influence humans into the most peaceful state possible- they still have to "be" and live to make a significant difference. So then technology can make them move in idealistic ways then, right? This is exactly the problem. Slowly, the responsibility of the actual human becomes less and less. We are already seeing this with video shooting with smartphones, address books, etc.-- saving memory for later, using external memory for databases. By supplementing in such a manner, we are taking away from humanity- NOT GIVING TO IT. Using the tech related to this thread, eventually, there will be no responsibility or interaction with the being-- humans will merely become physical vessels for their programs uploaded by Apple or someshit.

Enlightenment is not about neglecting the "animal self" and becoming some sterile Star Trek shit. We are always in the animal self, and we are always in the ancient godly self. The point is the balance the 2, taking into consideration time and place context. Be happy, spread happy, help all, free energy for all, and then we can get back to focusing and how beautiful the privilege of life is.

I'm not a hardcore luddite, but I don't believe technology has ever helped humanity in the bigger picture. Augmentation through technology is unnecessary and cannot lead to enlightenment-- plus, do you have any idea HOW HI-TECH CONSCIOUSNESS TRULY IS?!?!?! Infinitely more powerful than all the world's computing combined. Consciousness created the projected of physicality. It's a fucking joke to try to realize such greatness with something that was created from it. --Like playing Super Mario Bros. and trying to use the mission to save the princess as a means to internally program a system that can play Super Mario Bros.

We're already *THERE*, people. We've always been *THERE*. All this kind of tech will do- as your iPhone et al shitz are doing- is create massive manipulative forces to WEAKEN HUMANITY. Convenience and sloth are easy targets for aggressive, power hungry evil.

Listen to Atari Teenage Riot and fight the system bitches!

Also, all points in the full gamut of human emotions are required at one point or another, to even be close to enlightenment. Western ideals try to skew this by assuming that certain emotions are detrimental to humans, which is one reason why anti-depressants and shit exist. So human augmentation to further and more accurately escape the "flaws" of humanity, will- again- erase humanity for what it's worth. We need everything to give significance to it all-- how many of us would do jack shit but have fun, if we were billionaires? Anyway-- as fucked as the world might be, it is actually pretty much perfect. Everything needs to be the way it is, so it can be what it will become. There is no other way-- there is no other option. Be the best you can be, and everything will be the greatest. You don't need to breathe under water or live perpetually for this. Nothing that is not everything can last forever-- but in the bigger picture, that is one of the major points. Consciousness is forever, but so is the universe and time.

Anyway, yah humans will prolly be all cyborg teleporting ultra cloud shit in a century, and then it's still gonna be the same. Humans need to realize it's all the same, until it changes. And it will only change, once we collectively realize that the resources used to explore Mars are better used to give even one child a better life.

I'm gonna look this thread up in another 100 years & see who was right.

And I'll be looking it up from beyond the grave...Boogedy boogedy boooooooooo.

Early Happy Halloween Watmm.

Archived