IGNORED

Orbital break up. Again.

purlieu

From Orbitalofficial.com:

After 25 years at the forefront of electronic music from house to rave to festival mega-techno, to international dance stardom to the 2012 London Paralympics Opening Ceremony Orbital brothers Paul and Phil Hartnoll announce that theyre hanging up their iconic torch-glasses and parting ways for the final time.

Weve had our ups and downs, and its not always been easy, but Ive loved my time with Orbital, says Paul Hartnoll. Its been brilliant that weve been able to take our music to so many places, from local clubs to headlining Glastonbury to playing massive events across America, Australia, Japan Its been fantastic.

It was particularly nice to get such a lovely reception when we got back together a few years ago. We made the Wonky album specifically to play live and these shows over the past few years have been a real high point in many ways. The shows and the audiences have been amazing.

But nothing lasts forever and it's time to stop. Since finishing the soundtrack with Flood & PJ Harvey for the BBC One television show Peaky Blinders, Ive now got my own new project, 8:58 which I'm really excited about. It's a continuation of my work from the past 25 years but with a new vitality taking me on to something fresh, mixed with the best of what I've put into Orbital. Expect some live shows soon where I will be playing a mixture of my new music alongside my Orbital favorites.

Phil Hartnoll is focusing on his DJing career, which has seen him traveling around the world. Most recently hes played for fans in Thailand, Japan, Korea, Dublin and private parties in New York, France and London. "I am really enjoying playing a mixture of my own exclusive Orbital remixes mixed with some great new dancefloor tracks. I have also been discovering so much talent along the way and look forward to potential collaborations. Orbital has been fantastic, but like the Bond movie - "Never Say Never Again".

Having broken up in 2004, the Hartnolls reunited to play the Big Chill to celebrate 20 years of their DIY techno classic Chime in 2009. Massive demand from fans whod grown up with Orbitals groundbreaking live shows led to a triumphant, ever-extending tour, culminating in an appearance before millions at the opening of the Paralympics with Professor Stephen Hawking on vocals.

For more info on Pauls projects, please visit: eightfiftyeight.com

For more info on Phils projects, please visit: facebook.com/philhartnoll

Given that Phil only had writing credits on Wonky and Beelzedub, it's not surprising really. Paul writes a little more candidly on the eightfiftyeight.com bio:

Orbital had stopped working properly. Paul explains.

Doing this music was an 8:58 moment for me too. Am I going to be truthful to myself? Do I keep battling on with Orbital or do I make a break and try something new? It was decision time.

Blasted out Middle of Nowhere today and throughly enjoyed it. I've not listened to it for at least a couple of years. It was the start of their decline for me although I ended up really enjoying Wonky far more than I thought I would.

So I listen to this 8:58 thing and I can't comprehend how is it possible for Paul to "evolve" from such masterpiece like In Sides to such basic, childish, cheesy and uninspiring compositions of 8:58. Strange...

I used to think they had them flashlight glasses on to see their gear better on stage in the dark, come to find out it is used symbolically them being freemasons and all. Illuminating the masses, carrying the 'torch' glasses...

Orbital_Announcement_Banner.jpg

I used to think they had them flashlight glasses on to see their gear better on stage in the dark, come to find out it is used symbolically them being freemasons and all. Illuminating the masses, carrying the 'torch' glasses...

wot

I watched Orbital at Royal Albert Hall 09-05-96 as a young scamp, touring In Sides. I think me and my 2 friends were the only ones not pie-eyed on E lol, good vibes all round. I remember they started off with Satan, then they appeared with their flashlight glasses amoungst purple dry ice and lasers. Great night out.

wot

• 3 months later...

Archived