IGNORED

Game developer threatens Gabe Newell, drama ensues

data

If you're a developer selling a game on Steam, it's probably not the best idea in the world to tweet a death threat to the guy who owns Steam.

That's what indie developer Mike Maulbeck did earlier today, though, and it's now something he probably regrets.

The day should have started off pretty well! Maulbeck's game, Paranautical Activity, was included as part of a Steam store section highlighting Halloween-themed games.

Only, it was listed as an Early Access title, not a final product (the game had been only recently completed). That mistake sent Maulbeck into a Twitter tirade.

ParanauticalActivity-GabeN.png

http://kotaku.com/indie-dev-threatens-gabe-newell-has-game-removed-from-1648678869

so im reading through his twitter feed right now (https://twitter.com/SpooderW) and im starting to feel kinda sorry for the guy. even though what he did was fucking stupid as hell.

letter to valve, asking for forgiveness:

1yIciRH.png

i mean on the one hand, fuck this guy lol, what a stupid twat. on the other hand, does he and his creative partner deserve all this over one small twitter outburst? i don't know. does all this warrant a thread? no idea. im bored.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

also i wasn't exactly a mature person at 20 and i probably am not now, but what a crybaby. re you FuRKCUNG KIDING ME!!11? MY LINUS GOGBBLER ·.45.56 IS JUST A RELEASE CAKANDIDATE?!!!!!!!!! KLISKNUS GOBLERI HVAE BEEN DEBUGING ITS GKENRUL FOR 3 HORUS SINCE YESTERDAY 3 HOUSE MICE IN MY COIDE KINKER BRICKS

The game looks like it will hurt my eyes after about 10 minutes of play.

Plus, he needs to realize how fucking cool it is to be on Steam, and also realize how hard it is to even get on there.

this is the kind of justice i have no problem with, angry idiot loses out for being unable to not be a complete wanker about an easily rectifiable mistake.

I just dont understand how people can float through life getting so pissed off at everything. just chill out, be polite, things will go down much more smoothly and in your favour than 'FUCK STEAM. THATS MY FUCKING MONEY YOU'RE TAKING OUT MY POCKET. I WILL KILL YOU''

lol at

Welp. PA no longer on steam. I'm done making videogames now. It sucked while it lasted.

Totally pulling a Phil Fish.

this is the kind of justice i have no problem with, angry idiot loses out for being unable to not be a complete wanker about an easily rectifiable mistake.

I just dont understand how people can float through life getting so pissed off at everything. just chill out, be polite, things will go down much more smoothly and in your favour than 'FUCK STEAM. THATS MY FUCKING MONEY YOU'RE TAKING OUT MY POCKET. I WILL KILL YOU''

Totally. The world would be a much more pleasant place to live if people didn't fly off the handle about inconsequential shit.

TOTES.

Has the kid written to Gabe aswell to apologize for his outburst? The email from his friend did stir some sympathetic notes out of me. Particularly that a) he's only 20 (although he should know to respect and suck up to his elders, am i right watmm ;-p) b) He's been pulling long hours for months to finish this game so was probably psychologically disconnected from a normal emotional resonant frequency c) People misunderstand twitter all the time d) His co-developer has a toddler and probably isn't so douchee. etc.

I don't think they're ever going to be at a loss of applicants in the indie community. If anything it lets people know what's up, the world ain't fair just cause you went emotional over some bullshit. Guy is 20 and should know much better, that was a cringey fucking twitterfeed. Better he learns now than later.

Guest Roksen Creek

Been looking into this and it seems like these guys have been arseholes for a while, they've been asking for it, and not just with Steam:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=34409845&postcount=9977

https://indiegamestand.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=852

Just like Phil Fish, if you keep acting this way eventually you're going to mess things up for yourself.

He's 20 years old, he should know better than to post shit like that to Twitter, especially with someone he's in a professional relationship with.... and who knows what kind of complaints he was sending Valve via private message if public death threats are not off-limits for him?

Valve doesn't want to deal with immature whiny game devs, so they used their discretion to boot him off Steam. I see nothing wrong with this.

Archived