IGNORED

Kayo Dot - Coffins on Io

th555

Yeah, I've been caning this quite a bit (you can buy the digitals in any format from the Flenser bandcamp page). It's a huge departure but it feels right.

It's super weird and weirdly catchy. Lots of gothy darkwave vibes, as per the press release. Huge, unexpected, dark grooves. Unlike most Kayo Dot, the songs are riffy and groove-focused and not through-composed sounding.

Toby's vocals are clean and very moody and over-the-top, wandering all over the place in terms of register and melody, and he's so committed to the delivery that you just have to say fuck it and sing along, even though all of your uber-cool, aloof friends would be cringing at his delivery. For example, there's a part in the last track where he launches into a falsetto for a second and then drops in register with a little gaspy creak in his voice: like a lot of Kayo Dot, it shouldn't work but it works very well.

I like it a lot, it may even be in the running for AOTY for me, but it's such a singular, moody thing, and when Toby sings about hiding his mask of orgasmic shame, you kind of think twice before playing it for your friends in the car.

It doesn't even sound retro, it sounds like a genuine artifact from some alternate universe where synthy 80s bassy goth vibes with expressive vocals are just the accepted way to communicate musically.

I think a lot of folks on here (jules? modey?) would really like this album.

The digital copies are pretty cheap at that bandcamp page; totally worth a buy even if you're not entirely convinced.

(I am convinced, it's great)

Also, have to add, this is one of the best sounding "rock" (or, you know, whatever it is) albums I've heard in years, just in terms of production.

Archived