IGNORED

Brian Eno - Neroli, Nerve Net, The Shutov Assembly & The Drop

fumi

Yes, I have the DVDS also. It was released along with 'Mistaken Memories of Medieval Manhattan' in 2008 on All Saints.

Once upon a time, I also had a Sony Betamax edition of Thursday Afternoon.

Sad but true.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

77 Million was originally only made available for about 100 copies for those who attended a preview of 77 Million Paintings in 2006 at La Foret Gallery in Tokyo.

The disc itself features tracks that appeared on The Drop (but have been re-titled) but there are others that are exclusive to that CD only - they were recorded later - Targa, Surf Birds etc.

I paid a small fortune to an eBay seller based in Japan for this back in 2007, thinking the material would never get released.

Personally, the tracks that appear on 77 Million that aren't on The Drop are worth the price - especially when you don't pay what I had too.

Does The Drop having 77 Million for a bonus disc indicate that all these tracks were recorded around the same time?

They've all got the Koan software feel that he was using during that period - but the last two tracks in particular should have never been left off The Drop.

what alco said. the drop is really really bad, and i'm not really sure if this matters

but this will be all worth it if I can get a remastered shit-hot n loud version of the first minute of what actually happened. I LOVE mixing with that beat. pretty tight shit for '92 all things considered

fumi, post all the Eno knowledge plz. Love it

I think The Drop is dope. It’s a mind-fuck album of bonky weirdness—reminds me a lot of the Wolfgang Voigt bonky weirdness albums from a few years back. #getyourmindsright, haters

I can understand the ambivalence towards the drop. It's not one of my favourite albums from him but some tracks have strangely grown on me over the years.

I remember watching the Michael Mann film 'Heat' and thinking that Eno found a good place for one or two of those pieces. 'hazard' is one of them.

There is also a piece from the Drop period called 'Force Marker' that never made it into the album but appears in the film for the heist sequence.

I'm really hoping this music will appear as part of the Shutov Assembly bonus stuff.

This section would be lovely to finally have too - it would have been composed during the late 80's (the time frame when Shutov Assembly was recorded).

http://youtu.be/e9EkfGrkuEQ?t=27m32s

yeah agreed, i love at 29:20 in the second video when the subtle progression comes in when he first mentions mondrian. always wondered if that was sitting around on some obscure eno thing i don't know of.

Yeah, I'd absolutely love to get that section of music - it's post Thursday Thursday Afternoon. I'd reckon it was about 1987/1988.

Probably end being one of those elusive pieces that no-one can ever get.

I'm really hoping this music will appear as part of the Shutov Assembly bonus stuff.

This section would be lovely to finally have too - it would have been composed during the late 80's (the time frame when Shutov Assembly was recorded).

http://youtu.be/e9EkfGrkuEQ?t=27m32s

yeah agreed, i love at 29:20 in the second video when the subtle progression comes in when he first mentions mondrian. always wondered if that was sitting around on some obscure eno thing i don't know of.

Yeah, you nailed it. That is the moment. That's why he's always been so special for me.

I also love what says at the thirty minute mark - about art being an interaction between you and something. It's such a lovely idea because it can be applied to all art, literature, music.

"You don't have to decide whether something is or isn't art. All you have to know is whether it does that for some people."

Ugh, so cool. Definitely in on Neroli as I don't have the original. Maybe waiting on watmm's feedback on the others's bonus tracks, since I have the original editions of the rest. Still, gonna be awesome to see these all lined up in big fuck-off reissued editions.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, that's super nice! I especially love the design of the cover. I also dig when CDs come inside those rounded little plastic guys.

Hopefully some of that design, art, etc. is inside the reissue somewhere? I guess there's a big booklet, so perhaps in there…

The Drop was just an utter disaster. By far his weakest release. Can anybody say anything forgiving about it?

I like it. It's like eerie tinkertoys getting down in the next room

Archived