IGNORED

Brian Eno - Neroli, Nerve Net, The Shutov Assembly & The Drop

fumi

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm getting Shutov (I just like Ikebukuro and Riverside, but those tracks I love a lot and maybe any of the extras are good too?) and Neroli (very interested to hear the new long ambient track! Interesting that the Neroli cover isn't the original, did they think that was too "formal" and/or boring? It looks in large the same, but put through a "nostalgia"-filter or something...)

Yay! Cheers to fumi for the heads-up. I love these releases. Is My Squelchy Life an alternate version of Nerve Net or an entirely different album? For some reason I thought the former.

My Squelchy Life was the original working title for what eventually became 'Nerve Net'. Many of the tracks were never released. One or two did pop up back in 1993 on a very expensive Sony SBM two box set which I have (link below) - but most of the sessions were never released until now.

http://www.discogs.com/viewimages?release=415190

http://www.discogs.com/viewimages?release=691819

Hope that clears things up.

Thanks! I knew you'd have the infos ››…

Slightly off-topic but I noticed there is the complete video installation for 'Thursday Afternoon' on YouTube.

back in the 80's, I had to import a JVC Laserdisk of this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Riz6AKeBpa0

For those wondering why the orientation is strange, it's actually meant to be displayed vertically on your old TV set - back in the age of VHS etc.

Ah, nostalgia, not always a pleasant landscape to revisit.

edit****

NSFW.

I have the DVD of this and it is quite good.

I would like a proper RE-release of this with the soundtrack in actual STEREO, it was in stereo on the LaserDisc but is in mono on the dvd...

The 80-minute version of "Thursday Afternnon" is a bit different from the 61-minute CD-version, with some weird bass tones not present on the CD-version.

Thursday Afternoon has been easily available for decades on CD and was beautifully remastered in 2005.

Am I missing something here?

yep. let's repeat: "The 80-minute version of "Thursday Afternnon" is a bit different from the 61-minute CD-version, with some weird bass tones not present on the CD-version."

20 more minutes and in a different version is h u g e of course! :biggrin: (and getting it in MONO on the dvd was quite a bad joke)

Poking around at the store and it looks like Fourth World: Possible Musics has also been reissued (separate from this campaign, afaik).

What say you, Eno-ers? I am not familiar with this record. Is it worth having?

Does The Drop having 77 Million for a bonus disc indicate that all these tracks were recorded around the same time?

They've all got the Koan software feel that he was using during that period - but the last two tracks in particular should have never been left off The Drop.

Thanks. The official blurb now says:

This expanded digital edition includes 9 rarely-heard bonus tracks from the same period as The Drop, previously only available as limited edition of 1,000 sold at an exhibition of Brian Eno’s 77 Million Paintings at La Floret in Japan in 2006, the original issue of which has since become a collector’s item amongst Eno fans.

http://www.enoshop.co.uk/product/the_drop_digital

Poking around at the store and it looks like Fourth World: Possible Musics has also been reissued (separate from this campaign, afaik).

What say you, Eno-ers? I am not familiar with this record. Is it worth having?

Fuck yes:

Picked up re-issues today. The bonus stuff on Nerve Net is okay but not outstanding - mostly because I have half of them from the 1993 two volume box set retrospective.

Neroli extra is also, well, just like another version of Neroli. Didn't bother with The Drop as I already bought 77 Million a few years ago.

HUGE disappointment for The Shutov Assembly. Only 'Empty Platform' could easily sit beside the other tracks. The rest of the bonus pieces are okay (but clearly demos) on their own but don't have the feeling they were composed in that period even though they clearly are. Have a listen on Bleep - If you loved Shutov Assembly, you'll be very disappointed the other pieces aren't that lovely ambient stuff on the main album.

Why couldn't he have included the lovely piece from the 'Imaginary Landscapes' documentary, I'll never know. It would have been composed around that time.

Yay! Cheers to fumi for the heads-up. I love these releases. Is My Squelchy Life an alternate version of Nerve Net or an entirely different album? For some reason I thought the former.

My Squelchy Life was the original working title for what eventually became 'Nerve Net'. Many of the tracks were never released. One or two did pop up back in 1993 on a very expensive Sony SBM two box set which I have (link below) - but most of the sessions were never released until now.

Slightly off-topic but I noticed there is the complete video installation for 'Thursday Afternoon' on YouTube.

For those wondering why the orientation is strange, it's actually meant to be displayed vertically on your old TV set - back in the age of VHS etc.

edit****

NSFW.

I would like a proper RE-release of this with the soundtrack in actual STEREO, it was in stereo on the LaserDisc but is in mono on the dvd...

The 80-minute version of "Thursday Afternnon" is a bit different from the 61-minute CD-version, with some weird bass tones not present on the CD-version.

On the Thursday Afternoon DVD there's a point around the 36-minute mark where the music fades out, then fades back in again. Is this really how the soundtrack of the original video was, or is it another screwup on this DVD?

Picked up re-issues today. The bonus stuff on Nerve Net is okay but not outstanding - mostly because I have half of them from the 1993 two volume box set retrospective.

Neroli extra is also, well, just like another version of Neroli. Didn't bother with The Drop as I already bought 77 Million a few years ago.

HUGE disappointment for The Shutov Assembly. Only 'Empty Platform' could easily sit beside the other tracks. The rest of the bonus pieces are okay (but clearly demos) on their own but don't have the feeling they were composed in that period even though they clearly are. Have a listen on Bleep - If you loved Shutov Assembly, you'll be very disappointed the other pieces aren't that lovely ambient stuff on the main album.

Why couldn't he have included the lovely piece from the 'Imaginary Landscapes' documentary, I'll never know. It would have been composed around that time.

Is the extra Neroli different or a different track or just an extension of the original?

Is the extra Neroli different or a different track or just an extension of the original?

It's different. Another long ambient piece very much in the vein of Neroli. A good bonus track if you enjoyed Neroli.

Really wish I could say the same about Shutov Assembly. The extra tracks have more or less nothing in common with the album.

To be honest, I cannot fathom why Eno would want them included now as part of that album. They sound like pieces from a different time both in pace and atmosphere. They have none of the crystalline beauty of the album. Really weird collection of tracks to add onto the album. Listening to them now, it's clear that he didn't feel at the time that they fitted the aesthetic of the album.

edit****

NSFW.

On the Thursday Afternoon DVD there's a point around the 36-minute mark where the music fades out, then fades back in again. Is this really how the soundtrack of the original video was, or is it another screwup on this DVD?

A bit surprising they kept this on the DVD even, but I guess the original master for the 80-minute version of "Thursday Afternoon" is like this even on the master tapes because of the LaserDisc-version. The LD format was a bit like an vinyl LP in the way that it had two sides, like an LP A & B-side. So the 80-minute-version needed a split.

How is the booklets on the reissues? Any nice information or essays?

I'm interested in the Neroli reissue, cause longform ambient is how I prefer my Eno.

There's no digital pdf-booklet on the iTunes store. I will probably buy the wavs from enoshop as I'm done collecting physical stuff, but will I miss the booklet?

The Drop was just an utter disaster. By far his weakest release. Can anybody say anything forgiving about it?

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/20032-brian-eno-nerve-netthe-shutov-assemblynerolithe-drop/

I agree and i agree with the above review.

Fuck all in HMV (even Oxford Street, so I've given up on them) but Head in Bromley have all four, so I'll be picking these up soon - hurrah!

sleep tight

Archived