IGNORED

Any Maschine users? is the 2.0 software update, worth the price?

ghOsty

So I'm finally starting to overcome my creative rut, and feeling inspired to start making music again, so I've decided to better familiarize myself with my Maschine Mk2 which has been pretty criminally neglected for the last year. Now I see the software has been upgraded to the 2.0 version, is it worth the $99 to upgrade especially considering I'm still learning my way around the Maschine?

• 3 years later...

Resurrecting this old thread to ask if:

a) ghOsty are you still using Maschine?

b) is anyone here using Maschine (any hardware or software versions really)? I've been hunting tons of info online for some stuff and I'm learning a lot but still have some questions about it.

Note: I don't actually own it (had long ago purchased the first one, I think, and it was stolen like a week later). Just on Ableton/Push but have considered swapping over to Maschine (this is not often suggested from what I've seen). Also I own Reaktor and am curious about integration with Maschine software/hardware.

I have the mk2, but haven't upgraded the software. My only problem is with the hardware. The backlights in the little displays flicker or do not light up unless I tap on them. I hear that's a common problem though. Annoying anyway. Also the knobs act a bit wonky. Sometimes the parameters jump all over the place, back and forth if I'm just trying to do a little adjustment.

Could also be a problem with the usb-cable being shit quality and not giving enough electricity or something I dunno.

ANYWAYS

It's a nice little thing that I use quite a lot and it can be used in many creative ways. Not just making boring boom-bap beats. If you really get into the effects, pitch shifting and all that stuff, you can get pretty wild sounds out with it.

Thief, I've not heard too much bad about the hardware yet, those are very worrying issues though imo. I'm most definitely interested in the more extreme side of it, particularly how well it can be integrated with Reaktor. Lots of effects is great and all, but I've already got that with Ableton + Push....the Maschine Mk3 has some performance capabilities I like, as well as being a touch more visually simplified than Push, but ultimately if it can't support some complex integration with Reaktor, it's not of use to me.

Is Maschine basically supposed to be some MPC1000-like thing except it requires a laptop to be hooked up to it?

I guess? Definitely not a full featured DAW. The hardware & software combo is the draw.

I had the first version but dumped it for the push/ableton/max4live. It was a bit shit for anything other than simple 4/4 stuff and preset tweaking tbh.

Here's what made me give up on it: When you're doing clips in session view in Ableton and you have different loop lengths and time signatures, ie doing polyrythms, all the clips will loop at their individual loop points, whereas Maschine will retrigger all your clips at the loop point of the longest clip, regardless. There was a lot of dumb shit like that.

No, tbh I could never get a feel for it and the DAW seemed kinda rigid and awkward, I never did upgrade it and it's been collecting dust for quite a while... I suppose I should give it more of a chance. Been using mostly Reason and my Monologue lately.

I had the first version but dumped it for the push/ableton/max4live. It was a bit shit for anything other than simple 4/4 stuff and preset tweaking tbh.

Here's what made me give up on it: When you're doing clips in session view in Ableton and you have different loop lengths and time signatures, ie doing polyrythms, all the clips will loop at their individual loop points, whereas Maschine will retrigger all your clips at the loop point of the longest clip, regardless. There was a lot of dumb shit like that.

I've definitely gotten that impression, that it's built for 4/4 and everything outside of that suffers.

I think you're correct on it restarting based on the longest loop no matter what. And that would destroy how I often write melodies and such currently with Ableton. There's workaround mentioned elsewhere (dummy patterns of a much longer length that you can link your actual patterns too...so if you've got three instruments playing in bar length patterns of 3 5 and 6 well then you can just set the dummy pattern to 30 bars long, the lowest common multiple). So not a dealbreaker, but constantly having to work around things like that can be a hassle (or, inspiring in their limitations!)

There's this showing other time signatures in Maschine, so that's cool...so there's ways around many of the issues, but still surely not as 'easy' as it is with Ableton/elsewhere.

No, tbh I could never get a feel for it and the DAW seemed kinda rigid and awkward, I never did upgrade it and it's been collecting dust for quite a while... I suppose I should give it more of a chance. Been using mostly Reason and my Monologue lately.

Well damn. Use it or sell it dude! :) Monologue is great though from all I've seen.

There's tons of weird shit to the software, and even some odd decisions with the hardware. There's some people developing Reaktor with Maschine, as seen below, but it looks very much an exception, even among users.

Still, the possibilities I'm seeing with Reaktor (much more my speed than Max) make me want to consider swapping, or I guess combining.

This guy was doing some interesting stuff which is much closer to what I was imagining with Reaktor and Maschine. But the documentation or discussion of this all online, particularly integrating Reaktor into Maschine, is pretty rare.

Archived