positive and negative are cancelling each other out, resulting in shitty sound

i guess left and right are in inverted phase

you need a stereo 1/8inch to dual mono 1/4inch y~cable

cheers, I'll try that

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest bitroast

It sounds like the joystick is tweaking all the different filter settings that are processing the Volca.

I'm pretty sure there issn't anything different from the keys and regular A4 besides the keys and joystick. They use the same OS I believe.

Yeah sweet figured as much but it was cool seeing utilise the stick as part of their performance

Guest bitroast

what about recording a line in from another piece of gear? is that at all possible with the iphone app?

or is the live sampling more for grabbing audio from the mic, and to insert samples you need to do it via dropping samples on iphone app via computer and then onto volca via iphone to volca connection?

I'm a wee bit interested in the thing but only to sample other gear on the fly , and I don't think this is suited for that at all, which means I don't think i'm in interested in the thing.

cmon

someone has already written some third-party software for it.. so you no longer need an iphone to load samples:

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2014/12/theres-already-free-sample-editor-volca-sample-barely-shipping/

Not designed for 'on the fly' sampling, but it's still pretty alright. I'll probably pick one up eventually

Guest bitroast

yeah. playing with machinedrum, theres the option to load samples via computer and it takes just a wee bit of time to set it up and get the samples on there (not overly long but long enough that I hardly bother doing it), where recording via line in is a lot more spontaneous and makes for a better work flow I find.

the volca honestly looks sweet and desirable but lack of line in is putting me on the fence am afraid.

• 3 months later...

Have you guys done anything cool with this since the SDK? I'm really on the verge, but it mostly seems aimed at 4/4 based music, or hip hop. Are all the triggers and effects beat based, or could you twiddle up something ambient, or more freeform? Videos please!

Guest skibby

haven't they even heard of USB or SD cards yet? wtf Korg you must be trolling.

its like they made the volca line saying "just hurry they will buy anything, we make mk2 later, just hurry"

I'm sure it's to keep the price/size down. They're not making any extra money from the software so it's not some marketing ploy. Are there even any other samplers available for the same price with similar features?

If you want live sampling there's always the new electribe.

Guest skibby

well, i just want a cheap drum machine that i can load with my own samples and build kits, out of the box. with a step sequencer. i am actually considering building one out of an arduino cause fuck it.

let me know how that goes and how much it costs, I'm legitimately interested.

.. also if you can get it to do chromatic sampling from MIDI input I'd most certainly look into making one

Or, you know, you could just go for one of the old Electribes like the ES-1, which you can probably get on ebay for around the same price as the volca (maybe a little more)

Or, you know, you could just go for one of the old Electribes like the ES-1, which you can probably get on ebay for around the same price as the volca (maybe a little more)

this is what i did. instead of getting the volca beats i got an electribe er-1. way more fun and versatile for a tiny bit more money, like 64 steps and 4 x 64 patterns and inputs, though not analog. i love it so much that i want the es-1 too.

let me know how that goes and how much it costs, I'm legitimately interested.

.. also if you can get it to do chromatic sampling from MIDI input I'd most certainly look into making one

Just make sure you know if you're buying the SD card version, or the old mega memory cards that held jack shit. I have like half a dozen just to hold my old projects.

I've got the smartmedia version and it honestly doesn't bother me. It doesn't play the samples directly from the card anyway!

It can load them but it ultimately stores samples and pattern data in onboard memory. The only use for the card that I've found is to transfer pre-recorded samples from a PC. Loading samples from the card in a live situation isn't very practical!

• 2 months later...

Question for those who've used this thing: seems like it's possible to have the pitch snap to semitones, and dial in melodies, correct? Is it doable to make chords also, or would you need multiple channels for that? Does it do looping samples (with loop points)?

I don't imagine it's easy to get melodies out of it. This is what I consider to be a major limitation of most compact samplers on the market. Why are they all so geared towards rhythm or loops?

Surely it's not difficult to include a feature that will allow incoming MIDI notes to affect the pitch of a sample?

Archived