IGNORED

John Carpenter - Lost Themes

Rubin Farr

He made an even worse film called The Ward which might be his swansong, I doubt he'll get many studio offers anymore. He's making a pretty good retirement just producing remakes of his 80s films. Plus he's a huge dick and a lot of people dislike him in Hollywood.

In my experience, he's the complete opposite of a huge dick, at least to fans. He's very accessible and fan friendly. Makes all kinds of appearances, and seems like a really sweet natured guy. Perhaps those that were calling him a huge dick, were in fact the true huge dicks...or maybe they were just saying he had a huge dick.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He made an even worse film called The Ward which might be his swansong, I doubt he'll get many studio offers anymore. He's making a pretty good retirement just producing remakes of his 80s films. Plus he's a huge dick and a lot of people dislike him in Hollywood.

In my experience, he's the complete opposite of a huge dick, at least to fans. He's very accessible and fan friendly. Makes all kinds of appearances, and seems like a really sweet natured guy. Perhaps those that were calling him a huge dick, were in fact the true huge dicks...or maybe they were just saying he had a huge dick.

I may get a chance to meet him next month so I hope this is true. Big fan!

It always seemed to me that the amount of money he had to make a film related to how bad it was. Best to just give him a camera, a stick to strap it to and ten bucks and get him to make a masterpiece.

I may get a chance to meet him next month so I hope this is true. Big fan!

That you hope he has a big dick? Where are you meeting him? :catbed:

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to openly admit that for a long time I was under the impression that Carpenter did the soundtrack for the The Thing. When I found out it was Ennio Morricone, my head nearly exploded from excitement, but I have to say I was a bit dissapointed that it WASNT John.

Still one of my favorite soundtracks of all time.

Really? I wish that movie had more of Carpenter's synths and less of Morricone's strings. Anyway, I love that move too. Did you know they show it at McMurdo Station back with the Shining after the last flight leaves?

I like all his films. I recently rewatched Ghosts of Mars, and it's a great one. Really underrated IMO. The score for it is amazing too, the one in the movie itself not the separate score released. The movie is drenched in atmosphere, I love the look of everything in that film. The sound fx on it are creepy and extremely awesome. It has all these small details I love.

In the mouth of madness is also great. One thing about it is, if you get into the 'mindfuck' idea, Mouth is the perfect incarnation of that idea. All of reality is uncertain, not just scientists doing brain experiments type of thing. I just like carpenters way of doing monsters and locations, and the look of things. The underlying ideas in all his movies are great I feel, and they are all different. He has covered a lot of ground conceptually.

Edit: oh and, looking forward to lost themes. A lot

Love your attitude, coax.

I like all his films. I recently rewatched Ghosts of Mars, and it's a great one. Really underrated IMO.

you had me at 'i like all his films' and then lost me at 'its a great one'. We're talking about the movie with Ice cube right?

Yeah that's the one. I actually didn't think much of it when I first saw it, but when I watched it just a few days ago, I really liked how the trains looked, the locations, and even the gothic monster type humans. For some reason it all clicked. Everything was so red, and nightly and hellish. I can't really explain it any other way. Also did some cool stuff with eerie sound effects and with dream like sequences. I guess it can't defended sort of in a definitely convincing manner but all else aside I really liked it. Same as the Assault on precinct 13 music that has these dry percussive brush like sounds that are filled with atmosphere and associations for some reason

Now I've got to see this.

Really like this album. Some classic 80s Carpenter stuff with hints of Goblin and Air's Virgin Suicides OST.

He cancelled his appearance at BAM tomorrow due to an illness so I won't get to meet him after all. So bummed :(

• 2 months later...

Recommended for anyone who enjoyed Lost Themes, album of retro synth music inspired by Carpenter’s music and films.

Free to stream, also purchasable on a pay what you want basis.

http://bandcamp.com/EmbeddedPlayer/album=3376757591/size=large/bgcol=ffffff/linkcol=0687f5/tracklist=false/artwork=small/transparent=true/

http://retropromenade.bandcamp.com/album/carpenter

Archived