IGNORED

Ae are the only featured artists to have recorded without vocals.

theinvasionboys

Just realized this - not counting vocal samples or remixes here - Autechre are the only ones that have no tracks with lyrics specifically recorded for their release. Is there any exception to this you can think of? think there's any chance they will record with a vocalist in the future? Personally, this reaffirms my appreciation of their music that they can do so much with so little and still create a personal connection - all the other IDM stars sound like pop next to Ae, and they pretty much all have done it in fact - but without their music sounding overly academic or lacking an emotional core.

Did BoC also use a specifically recorded vocals? I ask coz i haven't heard much.

I don't think that's that interesting a detail, coz it's an aesthetic attitude, is there much difference between processing vocals like on IO and certain vocal techniques in traditional or, say, guitar hardcore music. You can say that there's no text, but it's also a cultural thing, if you don't know English then text becomes indistinguishable too. They certainly sound interested in vocals.

They certainly sound interested in vocals.

For sure - remember that interview where Sean said the only piece of hardware he would take on a desert island would be a microphone !

Interesting thought nevertheless !

1969 has some non sampled vocoder bits I think right? also the vox parts on IBPOTC aren't sampled as far as I had heard.

anyway, even if it turned out that I'm wrong and BOC sampled all their lyrics, they are melodically processed in such a way that adds a conventional 'song' feel, even if just for these short snippets.

this is totally different to Autechre's style of vocal processing IMO, they are clearly more interested in texture rather than overt meaning - yeah, some non-native speakers may not understand the purpose of BOC vocals, but since the band THEMSELVES are English speakers, I think it's fair to say they are put there for a specific purpose/their meaning is to be dissected vs. resampled and used for completely abstract purposes (AE style)..

How would we know if it's sampled or recorded?

Not sure why, but I've always had the feeling, the deeper vocal bits in Pro Radii at about 5 minutes sound like Sean or Rob quickly speaking something into the microphone. Maybe just because it wouldn't make much sense to look for a sample just to use such a tiny bit of voice in the end, same with Bronchusevenmx

I always wondered where the vocals from this one came from, they're quite in the foreground throughout so this is kinda the closest we currently have to a 'vocal' Ae track (not including, as you mentioned earlier, remixes)

How would we know if it's sampled or recorded?

This.

Sure there are some which are obviously sampled from other sources, like Goz Quarter

But Ccec, as mentioned above, always struck me as them finding someone to do a vocal track for them and then just ripping it apart after

Yeah it's pretty great. There isn't much information on it anywhere though; all I could gather was that it was on one of her albums, so I guess it's just a one-off track that they produced for her..

I'm pretty sure they've chucked their voices in there somewhere. and also their farts. the latter I'm surer about than the former, actually.

They certainly sound interested in vocals.

For sure - remember that interview where Sean said the only piece of hardware he would take on a desert island would be a microphone !

Interesting thought nevertheless !

"Ah'd jus' take like an AKG 1000 mic and a copeh of Digi'al Pe'fomah innit"

Does Gescom count? I was told long ago by a decently enough reputable source that the vocals in the original Keynell were by Darrell Fitton(bola) who worked on that ep with ae. This was the song that immediately came to mind when reading thread title. Not to mention it's one of my firsts & favorites of all time.

[youtubehd]5srVPfWo99A[/youtubehd]

Yeah it's pretty great. There isn't much information on it anywhere though; all I could gather was that it was on one of her albums, so I guess it's just a one-off track that they produced for her..

I asked Ae about this remix during the AAA and they told me it was a label's thing.

they also said they weren't happy with the released version at all as their original mix was way more radical (& a bit too much so for the label apparently).

edit: it still is a beautiful track though! would love to hear the original mix...

My only gripe with that Mari Hamada track is that the vocals are way too loud.

Also Keynell 2 is clearly the best comeonguyssortitout

Archived