IGNORED

L-Event: One Year Since newbound Material

Ceqn

I know I am a little late on this one, but it has been a year now since their latest studio material. How has it festered over this past year for all you folks? I personally really enjoy this EP and think that these four tracks have already grown with age.

What is your favorite track and why?

Mine is Osla for n, by far. Something about how evil this track sounds really appeals to me, and I love how what is going on in the background really makes a difference in the song. That is followed by tac Lacora: lovin' that envelope following.

When I first listened to this EP my favorite (and I think most people favorite) was probably M39 Diffain, it destroys. But over time I probably over-played it and it started to sound like just another banger with neat rain samples and a killer beat. I appreciate all that is displayed in M39, but something about Osla for n really sticks with me in terms of being unique

Anyways, have a good day now!

Cheers

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just listened to this through a week or so ago, still a pretty good little EP imo. Still not a fan of Osla for n at all, but I can sit through it a little easier than I used to. tac Lacora has lost a bit of the glam it had at first, but M39 diffain is still an outstanding track. Newbound seems to be getting better with age...the laser sounds are less annoying than they used to be to my ears, and that melody is still killer.

Over all I'd say it still fits in well next to Exai, which to me is a bit spotty. Haven't been able to sit through the whole album in many months, sadly. Just too many tracks that don't keep my interest. Definitely ready for the new track on the Touched comp and the album that should be out next year (w00t).

I'd still vote for Move of ten as the weakest EP all around, though, despite a few really good tracks on it.

I guess I never thought about it but relative to many other ep's I guess it isn't my favorite... But I would place it higher than some. They just have many really strong eps.

I like it quite a bit especially for M39 Diffain and newbound

Osla for n is still a low point

L-event is an incredibly strong little release. I keep listening to this quite often. I love pretty much every second of the EP but if I had to choose one track that I find really inspiring it would be Osla for n.

Guest Roksen Creek

L-Event is incredible guys.

Newbound in particular needs more love. One of the best closers they've ever done. Which is saying something.

Guest bitroast

oo yeah, Osla for n followed by M39 Diffain are my favourites.

all the tracks are good tbh. tac Lacora feels like it could pretty much sit on exai and no one would bat an eyelid. it's those two middle tracks that for me really stand out on their own and feel weird and uniquely l-event-y.

err.. does anyone else tuck the l-event EP (vinyl here) in the exai box?

it fits pretty easily and shares similar design. and the way the record sits in the cardboard case without any dust sleeve or anything makes me wonder if storing it in the exai box was an intention?

oo yeah, Osla for n followed by M39 Diffain are my favourites.

all the tracks are good tbh. tac Lacora feels like it could pretty much sit on exai and no one would bat an eyelid. it's those two middle tracks that for me really stand out on their own and feel weird and uniquely l-event-y.

err.. does anyone else tuck the l-event EP (vinyl here) in the exai box?

it fits pretty easily and shares similar design. and the way the record sits in the cardboard case without any dust sleeve or anything makes me wonder if storing it in the exai box was an intention?

I think they intended on that, yeah! They mentioned it somewhere too I think? It makes sense as L-Event was from the same sessions as Exai and Exai was basically a collection of 12"s, but the tracks on L-Event were the odd one out.

I don't know how they do it, because every new release I say the same, but this EP was again a really hard pill to swallow, it sounded like such a completely different sound compared to Exai and stuff before it (except tac Lacora, like bitroast said). Way darker, more visceral and almost raw sounding. It sounded really like a lump of sounds at first, the complete opposite from for example Draft or Confield, where imo the sound is really clear and has lots of depth and bass. Osla for n sounded like crummy bricks being stashed by a robot that has gone haywire. Looking back I kind of disagree with myself now, but I do know that once again they really managed to challenge me with a new sound again. Autechre is always a worthwile adventure and this EP was one of the best examples for that. I really like it now and with the winter coming I'm already playing it a lot more than in the last few months.

edit: the one thing that stands out for me on L-Event hearing it again now, is the incredible funk that comes from JUST the hi-hat in Osla for n. I'm really rocking away at that groove, it feels so badass. I can't help but think of John French from the Magic Band, Sean said to be really impressed by his style.

I will never like osla, I know that much.

I've heard that one before :biggrin:

Guest bitroast

It sounded really like a lump of sounds at first

lol. yeah. first couple of times listening, that first track tac Lacora sounded really super fast tempo and manic kind of schizophrenic.

then after a while I started hearing it much more as a slowed down disjointed funk.

hearing the song jump from high tempo to mid tempo just from repeated listens was a real trip. the change of (perceived??) tempo really changed the song a lot. it was like "what am I really listening to?? which is the real song?? !!"

It's a pretty menacing EP, imo.. I remember osla for n really taking me by surprise as Ae doing weird shit again.

I haven't listened in a while though! I should give it a go again soon; the sound design is so great.

It makes me pretty happy to be seeing so much love for Osla for n! That reverbed singing sounding bit in the background around 3:28 is one thing that makes this song amazing. And then that percussive shift to a new-ish groove at 3:55. They really know how to transition well..

I've been getting a lot into L-event lately. I didn't like it when it came out, but now after buying the CD and actually giving it a few good listens, it's grown onto me. Very hypnotic beats, pleasant sounds. I really hope they make more like this, composition-wise, but I doubt it.

M39 Diffain is my favourite.

Archived