IGNORED

Amber = 20 years old today

jhonny

Piezo, Slip and Nine really opened up for me on acid one night years ago. Slip was a lovely unfolding structure, Piezo turned my carpet into beautiful folds of flesh and Nine conjured strong mental images of the letter K.

Remember buying this on tape when it first came out. Just walking about town with it constantly on my Walkman. Felt I was the only one in on the Autechre secret! That and Scorn / aphex was the soundtrack to my late teens. Hasn't aged very well but it's still a great listen and Ae have constantly confounded and excited with every release since. What a catalogue of music to look back on.

I didn't even get into Ae until years after this was released, but I'm giving it a celebratory listen anyhow. With hindsight it's easy to say it sounds "characteristic of its time" when it's still a badass and unique album. It's very much its own thing compared to either Incunabula, or Tri Repetae.

Was my entry point into Autechre, and a good one at that. I would still have it among my 30 favourite albums of all time. Recently I was watching the film Winter Sleep and the anatolian setting brought me back to the album's memorable cover.

If only Teartear suited the album slightly better, it would be a masterpiece. For me, it's one of their more problematic closers.

I've listened to Amber fairly regularly over the years actually, more than most albums. I also like to use the Nine-Further-Yulquen sequence for when I arrive home from a jog and hop in the shower, along with some of Tangerine Dream's stuff it suits the moment perfectly.

My favourite tracks on the album have changed a lot over time. I remember early on that Silverside, Nine and Nil were among my favourite tracks. After a couple years of listening though (and becoming more acquainted with ae's discography) I found that the best tracks were the longest; Further & Piezo. Silverside to me now is one of the clunkier tracks on the album.

i remember being reluctant to check this out cuz it was earlier and to my ignorant mind that meant possibly simpler, or dated, but i purchased it anyway and i was like "lol this is fucking awesome"

autechre are peerless

I'm still angry at Amber, actually, for all the US releases having the gap of silence in TearTear. I bought two copies and they both had the damn gap. Come to think of it, I wonder if other people did the same thing and helped fund Sean and Rob's future career, heh.

Archived