IGNORED

Richard D James SoundCloud - A Gift To The Fans

Guest crowndicey

Are we listening to the same tracks? This shit is awesome! Definitely Steinballs. Next level. If you guys learned this was AFX and Squarepusher you'd be all over it. Yawn my ass. Does anyone here or anywhere else make anything close to this? I think not. We should be giving mad props. I really don't care who it is......I want more.

blahblah nice response. plenty of people on this forum have premium chops. no need to diss on the skilled musicians here.

That stuff is in the ballpark

it has the broad strokes

but go back and look at my post on the last page

for the extent of the detail-orientedness of the afxafxafxafxafx tune

edit: Actually wow Beatwife stole alot of AFX moves lol

Edited by LimpyLoo

it has the broad strokes

I'm only posting for the "chops" comment

just showing one person who has the ability to tear it up as well as RDJ.

On the OP track, I was thinking that it feels weird that someone would go to these lengths to imitate Richard (right down to afx name and Richard-style of track naming), but then it has started a thread on watmm several pages long... So I guess it'd be worth it for whoever it is?

Thing is, to me it feels even weirder for Richard himself to make a soundcloud account as obviously afx-esque as this is "in secret". Like, why?

But I'm quite new to this whole Braindance thing and the watmm community so I don't know shit, but obviously there are more than a couple of people out there who have lifted a hefty amount of stuff from Richard into their music. When people get good enough at it, I guess it stands to reason that it would become difficult to always tell the difference.

...Like, I was listening to several of these different linked people from this thread while writing this post and at one point I was like "oh shit, this actually definitely has to be Richard. There's no way it's not!" and then I realized it was the fenix funk early mix that was playing. Whoops...

Yeah, I'm also kinda tired right nowww...

Are we listening to the same tracks? This shit is awesome! Definitely Steinballs. Next level. If you guys learned this was AFX and Squarepusher you'd be all over it. Yawn my ass. Does anyone here or anywhere else make anything close to this? I think not. We should be giving mad props. I really don't care who it is......I want more.

blahblah nice response. plenty of people on this forum have premium chops. no need to diss on the skilled musicians here.
Not dissing. I make music myself that's why i know that this shit didn't come easy. I've been at it for over 15 years. If any of us posted music like this they'd be flooded with compliments and questions about production techniques. Some real skill going on here. Just sick of the hipster attitude. Somebody just released 2 amazing songs (which will be talked about for years just like the myspace tracks) and all you guys can say is "yawn, not original, ect. It's ok to like it. It really is ok to like it. It's ok to like music and say you like it. Try it.

the crux of the matter is that at one moment, the use of afxafxafxafxafxafx as the soundcloud account name both condemns as well as redeems them as a musician, let me explain.

paradox being, its lame to resort to impersonation in order to get known, and at the same time nobody would know they existed without the advertisement value of afx. it may very well be a 'by any means' geurilla marketing thing. The only problem is there will never be proof of authorship. Come to think of it, I never watched the real AFX make a track either. who cares.

the song is better than anything i can do right now, like a lot of music out there, but i dont put a lot of those awesome tracks on my phone for the commute.

so i give this thread a 50/50 for general meh. and I give my own review just now a 2.

i dont get the beef, hectic break chops are so good but yeah using the whole afx name to get attention is lame, if he sent them out to labels as a demo that shit would be signed within seconds, without a doubt.. dudes got a great ear for music

dat flashbulb track is hot, such a great nostalgic sound for me

it has the broad strokes

I'm only posting for the "chops" comment

just showing one person who has the ability to tear it up as well as RDJ.

Of course there are alot of highly-talented Braindancers.

But I'm talking about the sheer quantity of highly-specific RDJ-isms crammed into that tune. Of course there are a bunch of dudes who are capable of doing those individual things. But what I'm saying is that there's alot of them, and they are all done almost exactly as RDJ himself would do them. Wifebeater uses alot of those RDJ-isms, but he uses like one or two per tune (I actually went through and counted).

Wow I'm tired...I can't focus my eyes

Good music, but definitely not RDJ. Come on WATMM, use your ears!

Most people didn't say that it was rdj. We've actually had more people now telling off wattmrs for thinking that its rdj, than we've had suggest that it might be him. By a factor of two or more. It's quite tedious. At least you weren't the rudest.

i had a dream once that i was wandering around at some random music festival in europe and saw tom jenkinson weaving his way away from the stage through a crowd of people alone. i excitedly went over to get his attention and then proceeded to ask him if parts of 'numbers lucent' were randomly generated or not (something i had been thinking about probably due to how strange it sounds, and the name itself (i can be a bit obsessive about music)). anyway, he promptly grabbed me by both of my shoulders and started violently shaking me and screaming "IT'S ALL RANDOM". and then i woke up.

Guest bitroast

i had a dream once that i was wandering around at some random music festival in europe and saw tom jenkinson weaving his way away from the stage through a crowd of people alone. i excitedly went over to get his attention and then proceeded to ask him if parts of 'numbers lucent' were randomly generated or not (something i had been thinking about probably due to how strange it sounds, and the name itself (i can be a bit obsessive about music)). anyway, he promptly grabbed me by both of my shoulders and started violently shaking me and screaming "IT'S ALL RANDOM". and then i woke up.

oh man! lol.

what great insight hahaha.

are you saying it's original to blatantly rip off someones music and promote it an enigmatic way that would no doubt warrant compliments and speculation?

the crux of the matter is that at one moment, the use of afxafxafxafxafxafx as the soundcloud account name both condemns as well as redeems them as a musician, let me explain.

paradox being, its lame to resort to impersonation in order to get known, and at the same time nobody would know they existed without the advertisement value of afx. it may very well be a 'by any means' geurilla marketing thing. The only problem is there will never be proof of authorship. Come to think of it, I never watched the real AFX make a track either. who cares.

the song is better than anything i can do right now, like a lot of music out there, but i dont put a lot of those awesome tracks on my phone for the commute.

so i give this thread a 50/50 for general meh. and I give my own review just now a 2.

Impersonation? He's not trying to be known, he is known. We all know this is Steinvord because it sounds like Steinvord. He has his own sound. Let's remember that Steinvord has had a Rephlex release. RDJ deemed it worthy, didn't seem to think it was a ripoff. This person is not doing this for publicity or money.

are you saying it's original to blatantly rip off someones music and promote it an enigmatic way that would no doubt warrant compliments and speculation?

Impersonation? He's not trying to be known, he is known. We all know this is Steinvord because it sounds like Steinvord. He has his own sound. Let's remember that Steinvord has had a Rephlex release. RDJ deemed it worthy, didn't seem to think it was a ripoff. This person is not doing this for publicity or money.

"Let's remember that Steinvord has had a Rephlex release."

ooooo maybe its jodey kendrick?!