IGNORED

Richard D James SoundCloud - A Gift To The Fans

Guest crowndicey

It's quite funny, I only knew about this Soundcloud profile because I have one of my own and followed Aphex's real profile after reading the recent interview. Anyway, after reading the interview I checked into my own profile to upload something and saw that I had a new follower and it was non other than the afxafx... member (this was before I saw this thread). I have messaged the person asking how they made the music as I'm genuinely interested in learning as I'm new to making music myself, but so far no reply.

Even if it isn't RDJ it's still a good track and who cares if it sounds too much like someone else, it's enjoyable and that's all that matters really.

I don't think that's AFX either.

And all "obv that's not Apex u idiot only idiot would think that's Apetwix u idiot' aside...

AFX's music has never had that clinical, straight-from-a-DAW timbre. You can hear from the very first moment that none of this has been put through whatever gear AFX puts his shit through so that it doesn't sound...like this. It could be the rawness of tubes and transistors, the smudging and saturation of hardware compressors, the ambiance of re-amping, EQ and reverb at the mastering stage...

But whatever it is, this stuff doesn't have it.

(all that being said, there's nothing that says that new AFX can/should/will sound like old AFX)

maybe it sounds...like this, cause it didn have that master stage you are talking about, Limpy? Just straight from the DAW, no fancy filters and so on...steinvord was slightly remastered for physical release aswell. composition wise shortridje is a beast. i hope its steinvord the returns xD

again - this is in afx subforums and isnt moveed to other place! == its him!

actually i give less fuck that i seem to. just give us full lp of this goods, mister harrisong

maybe it sounds...like this, cause it didn have that master stage you are talking about, Limpy? Just straight from the DAW, no fancy filters and so on...steinvord was slightly remastered for physical release aswell. composition wise shortridje is a beast. i hope its steinvord the returns xD

again - this is in afx subforums and isnt moveed to other place! == its him!

actually i give less fuck that i seem to. just give us full lp of this goods, mister harrisong

I'm saying this music sounds like it was made 100% with softsynths and pristine drum samples. AFX doesn't use drumpacks. IMO he would never let his stuff have that fresh-out-of-the-box cleanliness.

Guest bitroast

The rhythm work is interesting, but doesn't sound like RDJ.

yeah.

I actually quite like the rhythm work, the slow mid-tempo vibe mixed with high paced break work creates a weird groove and it's kind of enjoyable?? But then it kind of just ditches it in place of fast tempo drums which .. kind of lack energy/thrust? don't really do much for me.

But yah, lol. This sounds nothing like RDJ except for the whole using aphex sounds all over the place.

Detuned "genuine analog" sound bass synth. Drum breaks. Mangle 11 style ambient pads. Box Energy style voice clips.

Come on.. try coming up with your own sounds :|*yawn*

Are we listening to the same tracks? This shit is awesome! Definitely Steinballs. Next level. If you guys learned this was AFX and Squarepusher you'd be all over it. Yawn my ass. Does anyone here or anywhere else make anything close to this? I think not. We should be giving mad props. I really don't care who it is......I want more.

Are we listening to the same tracks? This shit is awesome! Definitely Steinballs. Next level. If you guys learned this was AFX and Squarepusher you'd be all over it. Yawn my ass. Does anyone here or anywhere else make anything close to this? I think not. We should be giving mad props. I really don't care who it is......I want more.

1) yeah it's decent...the person who made it should just, you know, use their creativity to say something new instead of puking up more Ersatz Twin

2) eat a hunk of my poop

If we're going to waste threads on every two-bit dupe that pops up, how are we ever going to have time to speculate about whether or not Syro is the swan song of a terminal RDJ in the late stages of remotely-induced brain cancer? Wake the fuck up, people. It's later than you think.

1) yeah it's decent...the person who made it should just, you know, use their creativity to say something new instead of puking up more Ersatz Twin

2) eat a hunk of my poop

2) eat a hunk of my poop

if it is just "decent" why are you wasting your time talking about it?

Seriously though...I do dig these tunes

I'd love to hear this musician do THEY thing, though

But really, Mimicry is invaluable as technical and conceptual exercise

(And occasionally produces good stuff that stands on it's own merits)

And there's a widely-held sentiment among jazz musicians and composers (in the old sense)

That mimicry is not only the best way to find your own voice

But possibly the only way

The idea being that you learn everything you possibly can

Or care to

Then you toss out whatever doesn't suit you

And with the remnants you cobble together your little musical toolkit

And at first it sounds a bit unromantic

But then you think that everything is made of atoms

And Thera nothing more unoriginal and dime-a-dozen than atoms

Yet from them anything can be built

FlargIe I haven't slept in 30 hours please forgive me...

this sounds far less 'mimicry' than half of the new stuff off Rephlex imo. It's definitely aphex inspired but to me it has it's own thing going on and it's by someone who knows how to chop breaks pretty nicely.

this sounds far less 'mimicry' than half of the new stuff off Rephlex imo. It's definitely aphex inspired but to me it has it's own thing going on and it's by someone who knows how to chop breaks pretty nicely.

just to clarify:

I dig the stuff...it's good...i like it...I dug it the first time I listened to it

I would voluntarily listen to it again because it's good and I like it

but it's braindance posted by someone called "afxafxafxafxafxafx"

if it's not Dick James himself, then it's someone aping his mannerisms:

the random bursts of reverb on the 303

the double-time middle section (with the sorts of stutters and pauses that Dick James might do)

the random time-stretched vocal breakdown with goofy dissonant FM pad

the slightly-specific brand of (a)tonality

the particular types of syncopation in the 303's and drums

the (admittedly-not-uncommon) building breakbeat onslaught towards the end

the 'hey let's take this shit on a tangent' thing at like 3minutes (which RDJ does on ALOT of his tunes)

the 'straight-outta-the-Drukqs-playbook' mix of staccato-303-that-randomly-jumps-in-volume and breakbeat hallaballoo at 1:30ish

the minimal 707 intro

the staccato synth run at 1:20ish

the ominous-pads-with-reverb-that-are-cutoff-at-the-end-of-the-bar

the 'breath' at 1:40

the unnaturally-bright granular rolls that sound like they're copy/pasted from HAB ep

the random outta-tune-exactly-the-way-RDJ-does-it unison synth at 2:47 that is straight outta somewhere...CTD ep?

the digitally-pitched-about-Analord-wind-synth in the intro

the 'random-hype-man vocals chopped up and made syncopated and funky' from I forget where I'm tired but everywhere

the (once again) pad-that-got-digitally-pitched-using-an-intentionally-shitty-algorithm during the breakdown

but other than that...

p.s. shit i dunno, might be him

wow, I retract everything I said on the last page

I'm so fucking tired

off my game tonight

Edited by LimpyLoo