IGNORED

Perlence subrange 6-36 tempo

thehauntingsoul

I was just dicking around with a metronome while listening to this track and if you set a metro to 30 you'll instantly be able to hear what the rhythm is. I could never figure it out before because it was so slow and the echoes of the high synth are misleading. Check it out though the rhythm is actually really awesome.

I used this online metronome to figure out the tempo. Just go there and set it to 30 while you listen to the track.

I feel like I will always hear this song in a totally different light. I really could never lock into the rhythm but now it just makes so much sense.

Nice. I prefer thinking it in 90bpm, which makes the time signature 6/4.

If you count it as 4/4 @ 60bpm, the delays after each heavy stab are in some triplet grid, but the short noise burst (that 'khaa' sound that follows shortly after the delays fade out) is in binary subdivision.

But yeah, 60 is good.

The finest grained subdivision is 13, a prime number. So saying it's 4/4 or 6/4 is wrong.

(If it's 13/8, then the tempo of the 8th notes is about 180-200ish). That's how I've heard it. The kick is on 1, the "khaa" is on 9.

In fact I think 30 and multiples thereof are the wrong way to think about it, although it seems to "line up".

on some drum machine hardware ( including elektron machinedrum & monomachine which this track was created with ), 30 bpm is the absolute lowest tempo you can go, so it makes sense. they just took perlence & turned the tempo all the way down.

Yes that's right. Because of the way they switch between 3's and 2's, it can be heard in 13, though the fit is not quite perfect.

i lol'd

Lol, I'm not sure why, as it's a true statement. It's trivial to fit any song to some time signature just by lining up the tempo. In the case of this track, if you do it in 13/8 at about 185 bpm, you will see that it almost exactly lines up with several of the events, with the kick drum on the 1st beat. It's how I heard it for a long time, although I do think IOS has the "correct" way.

elektron machinedrum & monomachine which this track was created with

how do you know this?

just making an educated guess - per their interviews the quaristice material grew out of & was almost entirely created with their untilted touring gear, which was mpc 1000 / nord g2 engine / machinedum / monomachine. the machinedrum & monomachine have a distinctive sound that is pretty recognizable if you've spent enough time using them.

but i also remember an interview from this time that stated some of the tracks were also done with an mpc 1000 using machinedrum samples (def hearing mpc filters on the original perlence track) so that could be possible as well - but the idea is the same: minimum speed of the mpc 1000 is also 30 bpm.

elektron machinedrum & monomachine which this track was created with

how do you know this?

just making an educated guess - per their interviews the quaristice material grew out of & was almost entirely created with their untilted touring gear, which was mpc 1000 / nord g2 engine / machinedum / monomachine. the machinedrum & monomachine have a distinctive sound that is pretty recognizable if you've spent enough time using them.

but i also remember an interview from this time that stated some of the tracks were also done with an mpc 1000 using machinedrum samples (def hearing mpc filters on the original perlence track) so that could be possible as well - but the idea is the same: minimum speed of the mpc 1000 is also 30 bpm.

aha. so we're on the same page. i thought you were stating a fact and that they mentioned that in an interview i hadn't read.

I thought 6/36 was the time signature

it is. 6/36 is the new 13/8.

Archived