IGNORED

Drukqs is truly a modern masterpiece.

Guest Snazzell

it's untouchable

I read the WATMM rules of Joyrex carefully and I think it would be very helpful if you did also, because then you would immediately stop with these nub threads and you would look for new releases and new artists, and you would not allow to repeat any thread if it were posted x1000 times already and if it did not have point in its subject.

lol, that was very, very clever. A+

I must have been around 11 or 12 when I first heard Drukqs. It was quite a lot for my brain to take in, and as a result, I wasn't too fussed by the majority of it. However, I started to appreciate the album a lot more after revisiting it a few years later, and now I'd definitely consider it to be Richard's magnum opus. It would be fucking phenomenal if he crafted a sequel, or an album of a similar nature.

Great album. Would have been even better without gwarek2 but still...

One of the best tracks on the album yo.

I notice that loads of my mates loves AFX and they dont seems to enjoy Druqks that much, i guess that watmm must be the only place where people actually loves Drukqs, i mean its a great record but nowhere near SAW85-92, SAW2, i care because you do or Richard D James album. At the time of its release, it got the weakest reviews of AFX catalogue, and guess what ? AFX went into totally different styles after that record (Analord/Tuss). I love Mont St michel & many tracks of it (including the pianos ones), but as an AFX fan, i found it hard to consider it a "masterpiece". Well, a "masterpiece" for WATMM people which says it all...

Guest mrgerbik

heh... I remember when drukqs first leaked (a few weeks before release) and everyone considered it either fake or horrible. "nothing new or innovative", they said... I also remember Joyrex told RDJ the album was "pretty good" or something like that and Richard took offense.

I notice that loads of my mates loves AFX and they dont seems to enjoy Druqks that much, i guess that watmm must be the only place where people actually loves Drukqs, i mean its a great record but nowhere near SAW85-92, SAW2, i care because you do or Richard D James album. At the time of its release, it got the weakest reviews of AFX catalogue, and guess what ? AFX went into totally different styles after that record (Analord/Tuss). I love Mont St michel & many tracks of it (including the pianos ones), but as an AFX fan, i found it hard to consider it a "masterpiece". Well, a "masterpiece" for WATMM people which says it all...

noob

druqs are not for everyone i guess. it takes time, but when in clicks, you cant stop listening. its the only album ive listened for 2-3 years straight, like everyday perhaps. before i listened to his 90s stuff alot, but after druqks it took me some time to enjoy his old "less hectic" works. they felt so repitative and same. other music (except pusher and autechre) i didnt considered worth listening at all. glad that time passed and now i can enjoy everything. also i started experiment with drugs at that time so the world exploded in many ways and this album is like the OST of huge part of my life. i just dont see myself without it. i was totally completly lost in that album. when you listen you transport to different dimension. its epic and huge. time passed, things forgotten, and now i discover things on druqks that havent seen/heard before. or forgot. i dont even consider this as "album" actually. its something bigger for me. a fucking masterpiece it is.

Question.

My CD artwork lists disc 2 track 4 as QKThr, and it seems that everywhere else lists it as Penty Harmonium. It even came up as the latter when I ripped the album to my iTunes library. What's the reasoning behind this?

This has been bugging me for quite some time, and I guess this thread seemed like the best place to ask.

noob

considered you joined watmm seven years after me.. yeah why not :-)

Faye-Valentine-Shots-Fired-On-Cowboy-Beb

ok, noob, meme, read the rules, sean pls, jazzband, etc ok ok i know the score but what about explaining me in more than 2 words why am i a noob for having an opinion on a record ? :-)

Question.

My CD artwork lists disc 2 track 4 as QKThr, and it seems that everywhere else lists it as Penty Harmonium. It even came up as the latter when I ripped the album to my iTunes library. What's the reasoning behind this?

This has been bugging me for quite some time, and I guess this thread seemed like the best place to ask.

the vinyl version of drukqs lists it on side f as Penty Harmonium instead of QKThr. no idea why though

R-13966-1177914511.jpeg

the critical feedback about drukqs is why it took so long for AFX to release any more music.

I thought I read a quote that he loves it when people hate his music or something

Anyway when it comes to rdj and ae, the albums I don't like at first because I don't know wtf is going on I end up loving the most. This happened with draft, confield, drukqs, etc. And now draft confield and drukqs are my all time favorite albums ever along with geogaddi. Drukqs I almost want to say is my #1 ever by far, it's just amazing.

the critical feedback about drukqs is why it took so long for AFX to release any more music.

I thought I read a quote that he loves it when people hate his music or something

Anyway when it comes to rdj and ae, the albums I don't like at first because I don't know wtf is going on I end up loving the most. This happened with draft, confield, drukqs, etc. And now draft confield and drukqs are my all time favorite albums ever along with geogaddi. Drukqs I almost want to say is my #1 ever by far, it's just amazing.

and that might be true. I doubt it though. what's the best way to protect yourself from average reviews (particularly when you're not used to them...)? pretend you don't care.

the guy is a genius, the amount of effort/skill he put into Drukqs was astounding & to be told your work isn't good even by us mere mortals would disappoint him surely.

fuck it. just a theory. probably bollocks.

welcome to the madhouse

All his albums are classics, every single one of them. ICBYD, RDJ, SAW I, II. They are all 10/10 imo.

Best answer :)

Drukqs is my favourite atm.

i overindulged on syro and had to put it down for a bit. i loaded up my phone with Drukqs and it made me so happy. going back to if after syro is pretty neat-- i think the Drukqs tracks on syro (i.e. the second half) are awesome but not as good as the speed demons on drukqs. the piano stuff and chiller tunes are wonderful. if you haven't listened to it in while, go check it out it. it's a masterpiece.

Drukqs was my introduction to Aphex Twin. It took a bit of time to fall in love with it, but from the first listen it was one of the most compelling albums I'd ever heard. I would always approach listening with a great deal of curiosity every time. So while it wasn't really a favorite album at the start, it was the most interesting album to me for a while... and it became a favorite pretty fast. Maybe around 5th listen is where the love started to set in. RDJ Album has since become my fave AFX, though if he'd merged Come to Daddy and Window Licker that would be pretty much be the best album of all time. But Drukqs still evokes that sense of curiosity when I hear it, which is a rare thing.

druqks is the bomb, where in the shit is the repress warp. need me some vinyl druqks please.

Was the final frontier after discovering afx, but once i stuck my head in it soon became my favourite of his work. its so good. i used to love putting it on in the car with my family haha. no wonder they think im :emotawesomepm9:

RDJ Album has since become my fave AFX, though if he'd merged Come to Daddy and Window Licker that would be pretty much be the best album of all time.

I've always considered CTD to be an album, and Windowlicker an EP. Just look at the amount of tracks and the length of each release. It makes a lot more sense than releasing them as an EP and single, respectively.

But yeah, you're right. If they were merged, it'd be my all-time favourite LP fo sho.

I would literally stab myself in the bellend to go back to my 30th listen

Me too. Only figuratively.

Please don't imagine figuratively stabbing yourself guys.

hashtag #stabbygate

Agreed. In my circle of friends at least, online and real life, this was the biggest disappointment of an album from an artist we really looked up to, especially after what Come to Daddy and Windowlicker had delivered. I mean, for those who were there, when Come to daddy came out, it was like a revolution. Not only the videoclip, I mean the whole EP. It's the album that turned Aphex into a worldwide legend. And then, Windowlicker came out and took us all by surprise. This was new and fresh and psychedelic and like nothing else out there. Also a big fuck you to the pop industry, which was clever and just right. But then Richard lost his mp3 player on a plane and rushed into Druqks. It was like, what the hell, Aphex is only exploring drum n bass now? No more of that mellow, otherwordly tone? Only mathematical, amphetaminic, cocainoidal faster than fast programming? No more mystery? That's all you have, really? We all thought this was his less original album. It clearly followed a trend. It's like he suddenly was in competition with Squarepusher. With that said, I love many tracks on Druqks and the compositional work on some it is phenomenally complex and wow. Still listen to the album from time to time. With Syro tho, I feel like Aphex released what should have been released following Come to Daddy and Windowlicker. The warm, fuzzy, full of weird vocals, mysterious, offbeat, mind-expanding vibe is back. Apparently, Druqks was a necessary detour to get there. :)