Mayhem ensues after no indictment over Michael Brown killing

chim

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Doesn't see white people looting in Ferguson*

Doesn't see white people getting shot in Ferguson*

I wonder if there is a correlation?

Disclaimer: Obviously it's more complex than that.

As an observer from your friendly northern neighbour, I don't think what happened with Brown even really matters - it was just the spark that lit the shitpile. The whole situation with the police in much of the US seems totally rotten - they are increasingly detached from the communities they supposedly serve, increasingly militarized with increasingly heavy-handed tactics, increasingly unaccountable, increasingly only looking out for themselves. And that's all on top of a legal system that punishes bullshit non-crimes like jaywalking (which is what Brown was stopped for - seriously WTF is with jaywalking?! how the fuck is enforcing that crap in the public interest!?)

Seriously 'Mericuh, sort this shit out!

He robbed a store that's why he was stopped.

Not saying that warrants getting shot 6 times. But ya jaywalking < robbing a store.

or am I wrong? =/

Oh I gotcha... he was stopped for jaywalking but was noticed to be the guy that robbed a store earlier that day. gotcha gotcha sorry.

Yeah, sure Brown should have been put away for something eventually, by the sounds of it. But what I meant to highlight is that this happened against a background of cops chronically being cunts to people for what are often bullshit reasons. So the locals already distrust and dislike the police, so when something like this happens they'll obviously explode in rage. Don't get me wrong, the looters are uneducated thugs, but I don't think this kind of thing could ever happen if people felt the local po-po were trustworthy, reliable, and part of the community

As an observer from your friendly northern neighbour, I don't think what happened with Brown even really matters - it was just the spark that lit the shitpile. The whole situation with the police in much of the US seems totally rotten - they are increasingly detached from the communities they supposedly serve, increasingly militarized with increasingly heavy-handed tactics, increasingly unaccountable, increasingly only looking out for themselves. And that's all on top of a legal system that punishes bullshit non-crimes like jaywalking (which is what Brown was stopped for - seriously WTF is with jaywalking?! how the fuck is enforcing that crap in the public interest!?)

Seriously 'Mericuh, sort this shit out!

He robbed a store that's why he was stopped.

Not saying that warrants getting shot 6 times. But ya jaywalking < robbing a store.

or am I wrong? =/

Oh I gotcha... he was stopped for jaywalking but was noticed to be the guy that robbed a store earlier that day. gotcha gotcha sorry.

Yeah, sure Brown should have been put away for something eventually, by the sounds of it. But what I meant to highlight is that this happened against a background of cops chronically being cunts to people for what are often bullshit reasons. So the locals already distrust and dislike the police, so when something like this happens they'll obviously explode in rage. Don't get me wrong, the looters are uneducated thugs, but I don't think this kind of thing could ever happen if people felt the local po-po were trustworthy, reliable, and part of the community

It definitely goes both ways!

Cops regularly use unnecessary violence in this country because they are never held accountable.

http://stellavee.tumblr.com/post/103541390869

tumblr_ncnr33u4rx1qcgwldo1_500.jpg

Police_Swat_Drill.jpgdomterr2.gif

Bit of an exaggeration.

White people don't need to loot, they can kill black teenagers.

Gross generalization.

I'm not picking one side or another, but do you know how many black on black deaths occur daily? Far more than white cops killing black teenagers.

But same race issues doesn't sell air time for cnn and faux news now does it?

at least this isn't really a black against white thing as there were white people protesting as well.

This is true! But the media makes it out to be completely racial when really it's just a kid that fucked up and suffered unfortunate consequences.

Found this: unarmed 20 year old white man shot by a black officer in utah, did NOT rob a store, did NOT jaywalk, and I've never even heard of it until now. In fact it was on the 3rd page of googles results.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/sep/3/justice-dillon-taylor-after-white-utah-man-fatally/

Gross generalization.

I'm not picking one side or another. Know how many black on black deaths occur daily? Far more than white cops killing black teenagers.

I was being facetious (sort of, killing black people for sport is hardly unheard of in this country).

I agree that stories like this only get headlines because they can be sensationalized though. Cops kill plenty of unarmed white people as well.

If anything white Americans aren't angry enough, this is their problem too. Instead these riots will get written off as apes being apes and nothing will ever change. I know there are a handful white kids in the crowd, but it's not enough to change perception of this as a black issue.

Edit: I need to stop reading comments on local news articles.

Mmmmm living in the sleepy shires of England and halfway switched on to what goes on in the world I would be asking the question about how many blacks shoot each other? And why that is okay compared too a white bloke? I would also be pointing out that the black guys are the ones...........ah forget it lol.

Gross generalization.

I'm not picking one side or another. Know how many black on black deaths occur daily? Far more than white cops killing black teenagers.

I was being facetious (sort of, killing black people for sport is hardly unheard of in this country).

I agree that stories like this only get headlines because they can be sensationalized though. Cops kill plenty of unarmed white people as well.

If anything white Americans aren't angry enough, this is their problem too. Instead these riots will get written off as apes being apes and nothing will ever change. I know there are a handful white kids in the crowd, but it's not enough to change perception of this as a black issue.

Edit: I need to stop reading comments on local news articles.

100% agree!

Mmmmm living in the sleepy shires of England and halfway switched on to what goes on in the world I would be asking the question about how many blacks shoot each other? And why that is okay compared too a white bloke? I would also be pointing out that the black guys are the ones...........ah forget it lol.

lol

Rudy Giuliani is going around quoting that 93% of black people killed are killed by other blacks. Take that with a big ol grain of salt though bc he's an asshole.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/23/politics/rudy-giuliani-ferguson-exception/

Also, Rudy was mayor of New York City, why the fuck is he acting like black people don't express outrage at intraracial violence. People have been crying out for help from the cops, the schools and the mayor for decades. Piece of shit.

at least this isn't really a black against white thing as there were white people protesting as well.

This is true! But the media makes it out to be completely racial when really it's just a kid that fucked up and suffered unfortunate consequences.

I agree, the (US) news coverage seems to want to big up the racial element. I guess it just makes better suppertime viewin'?. IMO the underlying issue is much more to do with police unaccountability, than it is to do with racism

Archived