IGNORED

Mayhem ensues after no indictment over Michael Brown killing

chim

LA riots all over again

"When a grand jury decided Monday not to indict Ferguson police Officer Darren Wilson in the shooting death of Michael Brown, the act triggered fresh confrontations between protesters and police in the tense Missouri city.

While most of the protesters were peacefully assembled on the streets of Ferguson, some smashed the windows of a police cruiser and set another on fire.

An entire row of businesses were set ablaze on West Florissant Avenue, a major street -- so many that firefighters weren't able to reach all of them.

Amid the looting and arson, some protesters demanded the media stop reporting on the events. A CNN reporter was struck in the head with a rock."

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/11/25/justice/ferguson-grand-jury-decision/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Police scanners in the area have been going nuts.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/st-louis-county-police-scanner

4AsLO2R.jpg

141125012753-45-ferguson-reaction-1124-h

141125012654-44-ferguson-reaction-1124-h

141125010906-41-ferguson-reaction-1124-h

141124231631-22-ferguson-reaction-1124-h

OifUoUo.jpg

*1 month later*

I love growing vegetables. Garden fresh vegetables and fruits taste incredible.

Wish we had a bigger back yard/garden, but that'll come soon enough.

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ahh, so european means most gentrified and overpriced thanks to tech douchbags

correct. and the city least likely to have "get off my lawn" hick types

oh so that's why the guys on king of the hill used to pour down beers together in front of the fence next to the road, not on anyone's lawn that way.

most people cannot grow a vegetable let alone want to eat one

for real. this isn't empty troonish soliloquy, this is a real problem. people are getting more and more disconnected from the fabric of life, from reality, as time passes.

the current "fabric of life" doesn't really require of you to know how to grow vegetables though, i mean you can google it if you really feel like it but what for? in preparation for nuclear/zombie holocaust? it still sounds troonish.

growing your own food and preparing it yourself is something primordial and inseparable from our animal lives. the current state of affairs - 9-5 desk jobs, tower blocks, processed mass-produced bullshit food - is not what I would call "the fabric of life", it's a precarious artificial state of affairs. a bubble. what I was driving at is that we're losing our connection to the earth we came from. if we actually had the wisdom to replace natural solutions with just-as-good manmade ones, then we'd be fine, but I don't think we do.

in reality we did escape it though, the technology is that advanced that it takes very little people and effort to feed many. so in a few generations that hunter-gatherer/agriculturer past might completely disappear from the idea of "natural way of things".

you're caricaturing the modern life too, i mean idm and modular synths don't exists in nature either and i bet you can find people here that will take those over growing cucumbers any day. also don't think that "natural connection" feeling is somehow inherent or actually natural, it's just that way of life of working your field/pasture all day and dying at 30 by a bear that ate your face is very idealized and became a religion of sorts in modern life. "naturalness" of pretty much everything is very idealized.

NICE THREAD YOU GOT HERE.

Perfect.

Getting back to the subject of vegetables

most people cannot grow a vegetable let alone want to eat one

for real. this isn't empty troonish soliloquy, this is a real problem. people are getting more and more disconnected from the fabric of life, from reality, as time passes.

the current "fabric of life" doesn't really require of you to know how to grow vegetables though, i mean you can google it if you really feel like it but what for? in preparation for nuclear/zombie holocaust? it still sounds troonish.

If having a garden amounts to doomsday prepping levels of social paranoia, obsolete knowledge, and skill you can get from a google search in your world - sure it doesn't fit in and it's hella troony.

You strike me as a man who's never had a garden, maintained a proper mustache, or split wood for a fire before consuming scotch. Do those things. Or google them. They shall make you stronger, my friend.

in reality we did escape it though, the technology is that advanced that it takes very little people and effort to feed many. so in a few generations that hunter-gatherer/agriculturer past might completely disappear from the idea of "natural way of things".

you're caricaturing the modern life too, i mean idm and modular synths don't exists in nature either and i bet you can find people here that will take those over growing cucumbers any day. also don't think that "natural connection" feeling is somehow inherent or actually natural, it's just that way of life of working your field/pasture all day and dying at 30 by a bear that ate your face is very idealized and became a religion of sorts in modern life. "naturalness" of pretty much everything is very idealized.

Just one quibble - the actual life expectancy post-childhood in pre-modern eras was not significantly worse than it is now.

Yes childhood mortality rates were significantly higher, but actual lifespan, no.

I'm a big fan of both growing your own veggies/fruits and industrialized farming.

The problem with the whole "don't want to eat a vegetable" is down to some god-awful food deserts in the inner city neighbourhoods..

Anyhow, sorry to get so far off-topic....back to your regularly scheduled programming of guns and cops, and cops and guns, and more dead people:

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2014/dec/22/milwaukee-police-officer-no-charges-killed-unarmed-man

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/12/24/us-usa-police-shooting-idUSKBN0K20I920141224

http://gawker.com/cop-kills-unarmed-black-man-in-arizona-1667104180

Guest fiznuthian

Just one quibble - the actual life expectancy post-childhood in pre-modern eras was not significantly worse than it is now.

Yes childhood mortality rates were significantly higher, but actual lifespan, no.

I'm a big fan of both growing your own veggies/fruits and industrialized farming.

The problem with the whole "don't want to eat a vegetable" is down to some god-awful food deserts in the inner city neighbourhoods..

Anyhow, sorry to get so far off-topic....back to your regularly scheduled programming of guns and cops, and cops and guns, and more dead people:

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2014/dec/22/milwaukee-police-officer-no-charges-killed-unarmed-man

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/12/24/us-usa-police-shooting-idUSKBN0K20I920141224

I have an issue with the second story there..

The guy actually pulled a gun out. What's the officer supposed to do?

I'm all for unarmed and relatively benign criminals not losing their lives, but the fuckheads make threats on an officer's life I kinda don't blame the police for preemptively protecting themselves. A lot of them have families to go home to at night, you know? Why should they get hospitalized or die instead because some fuckheads decided to rob stores while armed?

Just once I would like to see a corporate board meeting end in a scalping or someone take a piss in their cubicle to mark their territory. I think we're losing touch with our roots.

I have an issue with the second story there..

The guy actually pulled a gun out. What's the officer supposed to do?

I'm all for unarmed and relatively benign criminals not losing their lives, but the fuckheads make threats on an officer's life I kinda don't blame the police for preemptively protecting themselves. A lot of them have families to go home to at night, you know? Why should they get hospitalized or die instead because some fuckheads decided to rob stores while armed?

I'm not blaming the cop.

That's why I said your "regularly scheduled programming of guns and cops [...] and more dead people."

It's another part of 'murica that makes me sad - your (generalized) fascination with guns and the inability to control the urge to shoot other people.

Part of it certainly is demographics, but other countries with correlating gun ownership rates don't experience anywhere near that rate of gun violence.

hence demographics, which is controversial hence my uncomfortable removal via alternative consequential

also, as i hope people have understood the whole time, i am not anti cop. When you look at the stats, they are placed where the crime is so will therefore be ikely encounter situations of violence in those areas which are already ridden with them, demographically. sadly.

i do not however discount an ideological pogrom of sorts towards that community which has never abated since the vaunted realisation of equality sixties. However, other communities under pressure under similar circumstance have not shamed themselves and closed ranks to better all within.

got tah get it to gethar ..

Err demographics are quantifiable stats, so the only ones I can really count as having an impact are population size and density. I don't really see how that's controversial.

Keep in mind I am not talking about police shooting blacks at a higher rate than whites per million on this tangent, just the overall gun culture in America.

Interesting piece on Reuters on how ex-NYPD cops, who are black, feel threatened by the NYPD.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/12/23/us-usa-police-nypd-race-insight-idUSKBN0K11EV20141223

The black officers interviewed said they had been racially profiled by white officers exclusively, and about one third said they made some form of complaint to a supervisor.

All but one said their supervisors either dismissed the complaints or retaliated against them by denying them overtime, choice assignments, or promotions. The remaining officers who made no complaints said they refrained from doing so either because they feared retribution or because they saw racial profiling as part of the system.

About the argument that cops are placed where the crime is, there are some stats and arguments arguing the other way around. In the article for instance it is mentioned that 90% of blacks stopped by the NYPD are not engaged in any criminal activity. Which is pretty idiotic.

I mean, I'm a skinny white guy so I've never been stopped by a cop, but if I would be on a regular basis, even if I'm doing nothing shady whatsoever, well, I'd feel like that woman in the clip where she walked through New York for a couple of hours, being catcalled by random guys on the street. When women are dealing with that kind of behaviour, it's called sexual harassment. So in a way, you could argue that cops hares black communities by "simply doing their job".

It's also mind boggling how the NYPD reacted after those two cops were brutally shot. Blasio/Obama had blood on their hands and other war mongering. To me it seemed like they actually think they're in a war with the people they're supposed to protect.

It's clear it was an emotional response, but the irony is that it's their job to deescalate any situation. And responding emotionally is usually the last thing one should do. Weren't they supposed to be trained to NOT respond emotionally during their job?

Whether or not this behaviour could be justified by the dangers cops have to deal with (guns guns guns...), I don't know. But it's not how it should be.

The Lane Visitor official Response to Ferguson / Racial Tensions / Police Issues:

Racism in all shapes and forms will always exist, and should be addressed and dealt with. At the same time, it's easier to play the race card in these situations than people think. It's much more difficult to sit, analyze the facts... AND ... This is the part that no one will want to do, but... Give those in authority the initial benefit of the doubt that they are not racist. When there is a systematic preconcieved notion that most cops are racist, which there seems to be in Ferguson, then an un-resolvable catch 22 occurs and no one will trust anyone. It's unfortunate that a small amount of actual racist police officers have tarnished the image of every police officer from the perspective of impoverished neighborhoods. Only creates more hostility from both authority and the community- endless vicious cycle.

This particular incident with Michael Brown should not have been chosen as the catalyst / example by the Ferguson community for addressing racial tensions. There are other times and places, particularly when people whove committed no crime have been shot / abused / mistreated that could do better for talking points about change and advocacy. And tearing down their own community's store fronts is beyond absurd.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

WTF is anything good enough for these people?? 2 more cops fired, county clerk fired, city manager resigns, police chief resigns, so what next? They have another protest and start shooting at police officers??? Do we need National Guard to patrol this fucked up town 24/7?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2015/03/12/shots-fired-ferguson/70194012/

WTF is anything good enough for these people?? 2 more cops fired, county clerk fired, city manager resigns, police chief resigns, so what next? They have another protest and start shooting at police officers??? Do we need National Guard to patrol this fucked up town 24/7?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2015/03/12/shots-fired-ferguson/70194012/

Did you read the part where people (including police officers) said it most likely wasn't protestors?

wtf @ "these people"...way to paint some broad strokes.

What might be good enough is the breaking down of institutionalized racism.

Not directly related to the thread but I didn't know where else to put it.

Someone chucked a pigs head in a pentagram outside Montreal police union building lol. Man "these people". :emotawesomepm9:

http://www.calgarysun.com/2015/03/13/pig-head-found-outside-police-union-building-in-montreal

Archived