IGNORED

The smiths

Guest murphythecat8

If you want to know a little about morrissey's aloof and somewhat strange (to nail down) character as seen through people that worked with him in the studio during his early solo years and a couple of journo's and in the knows, try slogging through this docu that i watched about an hour the other day coincidentally to this thread, heh.

http://youtu.be/D2lzNOTHfro

I really like the story where one of his songwriters had been posting tracks from his london home to morrissey's flat in manchester, which morrissey would then write vocals for, ask for changes in the length of parts, etc. Then one day he was walking to the postbox to send morrissey a tape of the latest song or whatever, out of the blue morrissey rode past on his bicycle, so the guy called out something like, 'hi, i need to give this to you, i'm just posting you the tapes because i've been writing this music for you.' Morrissey, took the package, said thanks or something then rode off without any further interaction.

heh ..

Stephen Street really is an insufferable bore.

yeah, plus i didn't really trust him 100% when he was confronted with the idea that he should have credited that guitarist for basically rewriting an whole morrissey album. But then again the guitarist after a while seemed to be perhaps talking through his arse as well. Still, just from listening to that street chap, he didn't appear to be someone equipped to write half decent backing tracks, all by his lonesome, he mist have had some assistance. Later on there's a producer who looked like he really knew how to make money. It's funny how in the interviews you can see those that have leant how to milk it an those that hadn't.

you know what i mean, the people that wrote the music that underlay what he would then sing over. Apparently other than asking for things to be changed around musically, he didn't really have anything to do with the music, only whether he liked something and wanted to work with it or not. He would then sing melodies and create lyrics for these pieces. Which were songs man, just sans front man warbling. Although in his case, the warbling is pretty integral.

Or are you annoyed because i can't remember the name of the chap. I can never remember names, and couldn't be bothered going back through the doco to check.

hah, you've got me writing a stephen G assplain the wtf due to the implied know knows the fuck but lets build some cover in case i might be stuck in the weather without an umbrella. haha.

people who proudly weild their negativity as a weapon are not worth pleading with, my friend. just ignore him.

[youtubehd]FCj_C-Yb3xI[/youtubehd]

One of the few Morrissey/Smiths songs i can tolerate.

Tbh I've never know really what to make of this band. They are a slight puzzle to me.

I remember seeing them on top of the pops as a young kid but I was into Run DMC, Public Enemy, breakdancing and graff. So not exactly my cup of tea lol. Then when I had my massive phase of guitar bands/singer songwriters I quite liked some of their tunes but didn't have that edge that really suited me. I got to say even though I find Morrissey himself very very funny (you never can be sure wether he's being serious or not which I find amusing in itself). I find all the hero worship of him by his hoards of fans ridiculous. Sometimes I think all that bullshit clouds the actual music.

One day I mean to go through the discography from beginning to end.

Haha, yeah. What I've heard of the solo stuff. It's mostly poofy misses. Like what the fuck is the hokey toss arsed crap, misses. I haven't really delved into the smiths properly but apart from the standouts, a lot of it was just pointless noise for me too. The good songs though are for me, fucking amazing, original, great songwriting.

Not a fan of Morrissey. His voice is fucking terrible, and he's a really shit person. Nevertheless, I don't actually mind The Smiths. They've got loads of genuinely decent tracks, one of my favourites being Stop Me... Just a shame about the frontman, eh?!

he's a dick now

but he's a great singer

fix yr ears imo

Just sounds like someone pretentiously yawning over some good music to me.

I saw him tonight at the 02 and out of interest afterwards I went to morrissey-solo.com to see what they thought of the gig. My opinion - I enjoyed it, too many new songs but I respect him for moving forwards and forever trying to escape the shadow of The Smiths. Anyway, that place, complete mayhem. It makes us all look normal with our neverending Aphex and BoC circlejerk. NORMAL.

Ludd, please shut the fuck up

i've never once seen you not be a negative fuckwit

so yeah just shut the fuck up

I will cut you until you can bleed no further,

normal

In my defence I was half-cut and watmming.

In my defence I was half-cut and watmming.

beautiful bra, that's why i quoted you twice, it's the hap on occasion in this place and why everyone should cut everyone else some slack. [-;

home from work, the weekend, holidays, drugoe, mental problems, we(atmm) understand.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived