IGNORED

Luke Vibert - I Love Acid 003

Rubin Farr

I'm considering buying a second copy through Bleep as I don't really trust the site I initially ordered (Japhy.co.uk), and I really don't want to miss this, but I want to give other people the chance too.

Can someone conform Japhy's trustworthiness :)?

Guest jasondonervan

no digitals, no represses. Ever.

The amount of times I must have read that kind of sentiment only for it to be broken within 6-12 months... it's a bit of a tired attempt to hustle up sales of a 303 copy print run, are people really swayed by that sort of logic any more?

(btw I'm not judging anyone for buying the record, just the slightly embarrassing rally call of faux-exclusivity attached to it)

no digitals, no represses. Ever.

The amount of times I must have read that kind of sentiment only for it to be broken within 6-12 months... it's a bit of a tired attempt to hustle up sales of a 303 copy print run, are people really swayed by that sort of logic any more?

(btw I'm not judging anyone for buying the record, just the slightly embarrassing rally call of faux-exclusivity attached to it)

I Love Acid is my label, and I can completely promise that there won't be any going back on it :-)

my label(s) do vinyl-only, vinyl-&-digital, and digital-only releases, depending on the release.

it's not about 'hustling up' 303 copies (the ILA releases could easily do more!) but back to the simple thing of making something that is collectible & valued for those who buy them. the number 303 has obvious connotations for an acid-themed series! plus it's rewarding for the loyal fans of the label who grab copies before they sell out, and there's even the fact that records retain value where mp3s don't.

on the subject of "vinyl-only" (and those that get angry there is no digital) - i find it odd, and a symptom of the digital age - that people feel entitled that they should have music in the format they want. it's entirely the artist & label's prerogative to put it out how *they* want, and if that doesn't suit the listener - then don't buy it. You can get a low-fi illegal copy later...This attitude was never the case before mp3's - you either bought the record/cd, or you got a tape of it later!

if you did a painting, and decided it was your preference, as the artist, to make 50 high quality prints, framed - and sell them for £10 each - how would you feel if someone on the internet then got angry that you weren't providing a 72dpi .jpg of the image for them for £1? I find it baffling that I still get messages sent to the label from irate listeners about something not being on their preferred format - you're not being forced to buy it!

i try not to overprice any of my releases, and i do genuinely think there is more inherent value in a vinyl record than just the same tracks digitally - the sound lends itself to certain music, but there's also the engagement: you make more of an effort with a record, it has a feel and a smell that you associate with the music, you have a tangible experience putting it on the platter and dropping the needle. listening to a record requires more effort and usually means the listener is more invested in the moment (unlike sticking on mp3s on a computer while browsing the net and eating a sandwich)

aaaanyways. Bleep.com are doing pre-orders on ILA003 and I expect they will fulfill them. I don't know about Japhy (can't say either way)

it's due from the pressing plant next week and once I've stamped & numbered them and sent them to the distro, they should be on sale 15th Dec.

I'll have some promo copies (assuming there's a handful of overs) for sale direct from the label and they'll be cheaper than standard retail, probs about 15-20 copies and they usually sell out very fast.

Coming up on ILA are EPs from Jerome Hill, Global Goon, Perseus Traxx, and Posthuman. I'm really excited about them all, lucked out with a load of really strong submissions from artists :-)

ooh, saw this the other day but didn't think preorders would be up for a while. grabbed one, cheers

and jph, wouldn't it be cool if i were to inexplicably receive record #303? wink wink

edit: promo copies?!? curses, ordered too soon :catface:

Guest jasondonervan

I Love Acid is my label, and I can completely promise that there won't be any going back on it :-)

It's less about 'going back on it', more committing yourself to never releasing this music ever again. Putting formats aside, you say you wish to make something collectable and valued for those who buy them. Isn't the music itself value enough?

on the subject of "vinyl-only" (and those that get angry there is no digital) - i find it odd, and a symptom of the digital age - that people feel entitled that they should have music in the format they want. it's entirely the artist & label's prerogative to put it out how *they* want, and if that doesn't suit the listener - then don't buy it. You can get a low-fi illegal copy later...This attitude was never the case before mp3's - you either bought the record/cd, or you got a tape of it later!

I'm not sure if you've inferred something from my original post regarding entitlement to a digital release, but I certainly don't feel entitled to having it in a format that you aren't producing, and neither did I ask for it.

if you did a painting, and decided it was your preference, as the artist, to make 50 high quality prints, framed - and sell them for £10 each - how would you feel if someone on the internet then got angry that you weren't providing a 72dpi .jpg of the image for them for £1? I find it baffling that I still get messages sent to the label from irate listeners about something not being on their preferred format - you're not being forced to buy it!

Sign of the times. There's a generation now growing up knowing vinyl as little more than a novelty format, CD even more so. A depressing turn of events for sure, but can you not see it from their point of view, even to some small extent? If people are willing to pay for digital versions, is it just your personal decision not to release in said format that's the problem? I'm not suggesting you should - it's your label and how you operate it is entirely your prerogative - but the reality is that there are people out there without the means to hear the music you prohibit to vinyl-only release. Wouldn't you rather more people had the opportunity to enjoy the music on your label? Would the 303 owners of the vinyl edition feel any less value from their physical copy if anyone else could also purchase and enjoy the same music?

i try not to overprice any of my releases, and i do genuinely think there is more inherent value in a vinyl record than just the same tracks digitally - the sound lends itself to certain music, but there's also the engagement: you make more of an effort with a record, it has a feel and a smell that you associate with the music, you have a tangible experience putting it on the platter and dropping the needle. listening to a record requires more effort and usually means the listener is more invested in the moment (unlike sticking on mp3s on a computer while browsing the net and eating a sandwich)

I respect your romantic view of the vinyl listener. I'm guessing it is born out of your own experiences and respect for the format (otherwise you wouldn't be running a record label in the first place), but not everyone listening to non-physical format audio is sat nonchalantly browsing social media sites with barely half an ear paying attention to whatever's going through their headphones. With the likes of home media streaming becoming greater in prevalence than ever, plenty of people can stream to wherever they want - listen in the lounge on the main system, in the bedroom, hell even in the bathroom while having a long soak, with the right capable wireless speakerbox. However, just because vinyl listening requires someone to get up out of their chair after a theoretical maximum of 22mins (at 33rpm) to manipulate the tone-arm, it doesn't mean that the majority of those listeners are any more likely to be sat diligently focused on nothing but the music coming from the speakers/headphones. The cover of Warp's first 'Artificial Intelligence' compilation sets a nice scene, but one that is probably rooted only to the audiophile mindset minority.

Thanks for the clear explanation jph! I was writing a similar reply as jasondonervan but he described it way better than I could.

Basically, it's completely irrational to deny people the chance to buy it (and pay the ones who earn it) while you're stimulating illegal sharing at the same time. Still I do get the artistic approach you described with the paintings to some degree*. On the other hand there is of course the loathing of the art world because of it's elitist status, smug people and ridiculous overpriced paintings (what the fool pays of course), but we're nowhere near that, safe for Vinyl Factory and Theo Parrish albums :emotawesomepm9:

*Not in the way that you are certain of the huge demand but still refuse to press up more than 303 just because it's a themed number. You said it will sell out in one day, as well as claiming that you could easily do more, which makes it all the more sad for the people who WANT to buy it but aren't online everyday (the pre-order makes up for a lot of that though!). Music should be for everyone, like I-F said (when he closed CBS primarily because it turned into some elitist record collector sect who refused to let the rest of the world hear or see their valued limited records, which scared off a lot of newbies *). Don't take that as a sentiment of entitlement though, just a philosophy.

Also, I agree the old way of releasing music is not necessarily the best way. If it was, the majority of (older) labels wouldn't have bothered putting everything online now.

Anyway, it's not my label of course, and I'm not trying to change your mind at all. I'm also grateful that you're running this label and releasing this rather than not, which is why I'm supporting this anyway.

Irrational or not, it's still his choice to run the label that way. I find ham & pineapple on pizzas irrational but it still happens. Freedom of choice and all that. (I don't find it irrational to do vinyl only releases I should add, just stressing my point)

And if the record sells out completely, which it likely will, how does downloading a flac/mp3 elsewhere harm the label? All potential profit is made, the label/artist is satisfied...I don't see the problem.

Irrational or not, it's still his choice to run the label that way. I find ham & pineapple on pizzas irrational but it still happens. Freedom of choice and all that. (I don't find it irrational to do vinyl only releases I should add, just stressing my point)

And if the record sells out completely, which it likely will, how does downloading a flac/mp3 elsewhere harm the label? All potential profit is made, the label/artist is satisfied...I don't see the problem.

he wants to maintain the products collectabitily(worth) even after the product has been sold.

I'm not sure if you've inferred something from my original post regarding entitlement to a digital release, but I certainly don't feel entitled to having it in a format that you aren't producing, and neither did I ask for it.

I didn't mean you specifically - apologies if that came across insulting!

...but just in general, I still get quite a lot of angry messages from people along the lines of "once music is out there it belongs to the public, therefore you should make it available in my preferred format" which for me screams of the sense of entitlement of the digital age

I regret using the word 'irrational', I didn't mean to give it a negative connotation. I agree, and that was also my point too, obviously it's his decision, but it's such a weird choice imo, when you 'brag' about how much you could sell, but then don't.

There is also not a problem at all after you sell everything, but you still give an OK sign as a label to pirate when the artist / label could profit more from it and invest in more nice music? Maybe I'm wrong about all this, I'm not the one having the balls to run a label, but like I said, no offense meant.

P.S. I like ham & pineapple on pizzas even though I completely agree about how irrational it is. Not necessarily a bad thing :)

Guest jasondonervan

I didn't mean you specifically - apologies if that came across insulting!

...but just in general, I still get quite a lot of angry messages from people along the lines of "once music is out there it belongs to the public, therefore you should make it available in my preferred format" which for me screams of the sense of entitlement of the digital age

It didn't come across as insulting to me at all, no worries there.

If you receive messages from people telling you music 'belongs to the public' in order to further their case for demanding a particular format, certainly feel free to tell them to shove their requests up their collective entitled asses.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting discussion about the format of release & manufactured scarcity, but something nobody ever mentions in the vinyl/digital debate is...

What about sound quality? I would think any artist or label who respects their work would want a high fidelity master of it as originally produced with all its lush textures to exist several years down the line. Limiting the release to vinyl-only not only excludes the overwhelming majority of the music-listening world from enjoying the music as it was produced/mastered*, but also essentially guarantees that in 10 years nobody will be able to hear a version that doesn't sound like shit.**

*Unless it was produced, mastered, & transferred to the vinyl entirely using analog gear, then there's a superior sounding digital version in existence.

**Even if it's digitally ripped on the first spin in 24-bit wav, you still have a loss of frequencies & a muddy coagulation of sounds right off the bat due to the inferior*** quality of the format.

***I use the word "inferior" in the same sense that VHS is objectively inferior to Blu-Ray in quality, not in aesthetic preference. While there are a niche few that probably prefer the analog distortions, low-fidelity, and sound warbles of VHS to modern formats when it comes to their favorite films from the 80s (obviously because of nostalgia), no self-respecting film maker would want their meticulously shot, framed, & edited 2014 film to be released on VHS only. Why is this still a thing in the music world?

Lastly, not trying to be a dick, but, if you're constantly getting angry messages from potential supporters who want to buy music from you but can't because you're intentionally releasing it in limited quality on an obsolete format, then maybe it's you who's wrong in trying to pretend it's still the 90s and not that they're entitled/spoiled.

I'm sure the music's great, though. Vibert's a killer producer.

I wish everyone would fuckk off with all this release format digital/analogz debate....

It's on vinyl and thats it, wanna hear it? buy a fucking record player!

I listen to records that are over 50 years old and they sound fucking awesome.....

in 10 years your ears probably won't even be able to hear the same frequencies they do now so.....

Archived