IGNORED

My amateur electronica

Perezvon

Hi guys! I'm releasing my first LP, CTRL VIDE, in one or two weeks now, after having released a first EP in May. Electronica-oriented, some found sounds shenanigans plus guitar noodlings à la Bibio. You can already stream my "single" Soubresaut and grab it for free :

As I said in Antape's thread some time ago, I'm quite an amateur with only like a year behind me in producing (although I started writing stuff years ago). Yet to me going public like this with releases boosts my confidence and makes me progress insanely better than if I kept everything for myself.
Everything was made using my laptop, Live, some cool VSTs and my simili-Gibson SG Junior plugged in an Orange Tiny Terror 15W.
Hope you'll enjoy this as I'm very happy myself with it. See you soon in the proper release thread or something !

First, your sound palette is spot on....the build and introduction of each sound works well. What is the plucked instrument that comes in at 1:29 or so after the guitar? I really like that. Is it a sample? Or midi programming? Or you playing the keys? If I had made this, I would be proud of it too. I like the way the guitar and other instrument moves from melody, to improvisation, to having space to breathe. Kept me interested the whole way. The only suggestion I would have is possibly adding some complimentary drum sounds that aren't drum sounds. In the Mt Kimbie fashion. Taking a sound that isn't designed to be percussive to add some more flare. Not glitchy...I'm sure that I'm not explaining myself well. Strong work! If I may ask, how long did it take you to make this piece?

Hey thanks for your feedback ! I'm flattered. :emotawesomepm9:

Dunno really how long it took me exactly. But the general arrangement is at least a year and a half old, from when I was still composing one-man band progressive pop stuff with my guitar and Guitar Pro (yes, the MIDI tab thingy lol), and this track here is its 4th version iirc. I've kept coming back to it every now and then until now.

I get you on the Mt Kimbie sounds. That's definitely something I'm going to work on next.

The pluck instrument actually comes from an Absynth preset, which I've tweaked and resampled quite a few times after playing the melodies on it. As I said this track is "old" and I didn't know shit about synthesis at the time! There are a few more synth presets hidden in the album but I've tried my best to make them my own. Anyway the vast vast majority of the stuff in there is of my own making!

Glad you liked it! :beer:

I agree, it already sounds very well balanced. You can always think it could sound better but there's already a lot of cohesion in the mix. I love the kind of bass you used, really warm and soft but pretty strong as well. the rhythm groves well with it. I like the sense of progression into the track, although I didn't get into all the parts (but maybe that's a first listen thing?).

keep up the good work and don't hesitate to give more info on this release

Thanks Antape! :)

Actually I've just finished all the adjustments I needed to make and the release is now 100% ready. I'm dropping it on monday! :beer:

Here's a second extract for you guys :

Mind the atrocious 128kb/s encoding. The high end on the main synth in this one actually IS pretty harsh but Soundcloud really is crushing it. That's a shame...

My least favorite part of making a song is bouncing it to disk and then finding that it sounds completely unbalanced once in soundcloud. I end up doing a lot of guessing and checking with regard to the levels, and it's obnoxiously time consuming to make it sound similar to that which my DAW plays out. Mr Mn is a lovely track. I bet the resonance of the chord structure kills @ 3:45 were it not on soundcloud. It kills regardless. There's something eerily familiar about your music, like its resonating with the producer I want to be. Simple concepts with profound depth. I can't wait to hear the full album. Strong work.

Well I don't know what to say... Sincere thanks guys, means a lot! This is actually the first time I'm sharing stuff to fellow producers, which is probably why I'm being a bit too modest here.

Cheers :beer:

Archived