IGNORED

TX81x - editor w/ no PC

Guest bitroast

Guest bitroast

I've had my tx81z sitting about gaining dust for while now.. main reason i'm not using it is

a. the interface is pretty horrible b. I can't figure out how to get an editor working on Mac to work with TX81z.

I can get midi working but editing the synth is becomes a deadend for me...

i'm using a mac, so no PC specific editors.. and use ableton as DAW.

does anyone have any tips on this? any experience in getting editors working on a mac? maybe for dx7 maybe?

any help appreciated:)

quote from the FM synthesis thread :

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u9esjt2mdxo7o1f/CTL-TX81z.maxpat?dl=0

yeah should do ^
try it out should look like this:

348a0293ba8b802b8322f4b869b21360.jpg

set up your output device and channel in the top right and you should be ready to rock. i think either the first or last preset is a sort of 'default' or init patch. still a couple of features i'm too lazy too add though.

btw that max patch should work for any 4op yammy synth in the dx series, i added pitch envelope controls for the ones that have it.

ps - 'slow load' will load the preset in a staggered manner to overcome the tiny midi buffer.

oh yeah and the envelope times are like normal adsr scale (fast to long) instead of yammy rate scale (long to fast)

In case you don't know, Max has a "runtime" version which allows you just to load patches. I tried MGF's editor and liked it more than the Ctrlr one (which has a weird interface, the params are not arranged how I would like them to be at all). I can definitely see things to improve and it doesn't handle Performance programming (but that is not so complicated to program directly on the synth anyway) but I like its simplicity.

the best I saw around is the "TX81Z Editor" but I think it's PC only.

Guest bitroast

thanks for the replies. I noticed the FM synth but it's a bit busy and didn't expect the answer to be in there. will check these out when I get home :)

also... :facepalm::facepalm: @ getting synth name wrong in thread title...

also... :facepalm::facepalm: @ getting synth name wrong in thread title...

haha I know that thing I do it quite often. TX81Z is the good synth to make the mistake onto though because it won't prevent people from recognizing the name ;)

Guest bitroast

hehe. just the mention terrible interface and having trouble getting an editor to work and people will generally know what you're referring to :P

Guest tonfarben

Is there a possibility to edit that synth without a computer, but with a hardware controller? Like for example the BCR2000

BCR2000_P0245_Right-Perspective_XXL.png

That would be incredibly nice. There must be a midi control message chart somewhere.

Just need to know the Midi CC for the parameters. Like, MidiCC for Operator 3 EG Attack Time is xyz. Map xyz to a rotary knob on the BCR.

Repeat that for all Midi CCs. Profit!

Anyone knows if that is possible?

BTW: Sorry, couldn´t find a bigger picture of the BCR2000

Guest bitroast

no one answer tonfarben's question until they find a bigger picture of the BCR2000.

actually scrap that, I would like to know the answer as well. I was considering asking this as well but decided to just stick with MAC alternatives. If there is a hardware solution I would love to hear it :)

Yeah it is absolutely possible with bcr2000 and with novation zero sl (mkII). But in case of tx81z you should use sysex.
Also, in tx81z midi sysex implementation chart there are huge mistakes, you should check V50's implementation chart too, cause there everything was fixed. For example, in tx81z's sysex chart two op's was reversed and so on.

I made my own control template for zero sl mkII

14431558558_e074afd029_c.jpg

Yeah it is absolutely possible with bcr2000 and with novation zero sl (mkII). But in case of tx81z you should use sysex.

Also, in tx81z midi sysex implementation chart there are huge mistakes, you should check V50's implementation chart too, cause there everything was fixed. For example, in tx81z's sysex chart two op's was reversed and so on.

I made my own control template for zero sl mkII

14431558558_e074afd029_c.jpg

don't you get midi buffer overloads, or whatever they're called? I did when I used a BCR2k as an editor for the tx81z

Yeah buffer overloads are plenty when using a hardware controller. I have the Kenton Control Freak, and my conclusion is that you can use it to create patches, but live tweaking is near impossible.

i sold my tx and now just use ableton's operator for all my fm needs. tx ended up being too much of a hassle.

it's really cheap tho, so it's not like it's a big burden having one in your studio

• 3 weeks later...
Guest bitroast

ok.

thank you a ll so much for posting here, but i'm STILL not getting anywhere here. i've loaded up the maxforlive patches (meshgear, yours for example loads fine and looks as it should in the screenshot) (and ive tried other patches as well off the internet) and everytime i change the parameters nothing happens on the tx81z.

i can't find any 'how to' or 'tutorial' on how to set it up. everyone sort of assumes it's not that hard if you follow their steps, and kind of jump straight into 'load up the program' 'you should have control over the yamaha tx81z now'.

would anyone be so kind as to just... spell it out for me. as if i was complete moron? from not having the tx81z patch working, to having the tx81z patch working?

i'm completely unfamiliar with sysex. and i'm completely unfamiliar with old 80s technology synths. so essentially, there's 2 learning curves for me to get through and i honestly can't get my head around the process or have any idea what im doing wrong. :)

Guest bitroast

well, ableton is sending midi notes and getting the synth to play. would that confirm it's on the right channel or could it still be set incorrectly?

shoooould be ok. do a bit of menu diving it's possible sysex has been switched off or your interface doesn't support sysex (found this out the hard way with a cheap usb->midi cable)

first i bought this

USB-MIDI-Cable.jpg

then i did this when i realized sysex and dumps are not possible with it

RageFace.jpg

then this demon showed up poof!

246249_f260.jpg

then I bought this, which cost more money, why i tried buying the shit cheap one in the first place.

top_L.jpg

this did not fix the feeble buffer of the tx, but it allowed for sysex changes.

using pitch bend on my d50 did some insane crazy thing where it retriggered the note a zillion times. unintended circuit bending potential.

Guest bitroast

awwww. so i'm still not 100% on what my problem is but i feel like im on right track as opposed to focusing purely on tx81z being the problem:) thanks for the troubleshooting guys.

using digidesign digi002 rack as audio interface, and running the max for live patch in ableton. audio interface to computer via firewire, audio interface to tx81z via midi.

am running the patches via max for live in ableton. the sheer notion that ableton cuts off sysex despite running maxforlive patch thats purely for sending sysex data is something that had never even occurred to me. god damn. not sure if theres no sysex because of ableton, or because of audio interface.

i couldn't find exactly where sysex on tx81z can be switched on or off. did a factory reset recently so i'm assuming it's not the synth set incorrectly..

Guest bitroast

:w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t:

:flower::flower::flower:

i switched out the midi from digi002 rack and using the elektron TM-1 midi interface directly to tx81z.

then, followed this instruction - https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/yamahablackboxes/conversations/topics/1127

it goes into detail about using MIDI - UDP Bridge in conjunction with ableton, so that is running seperately sending the sysex.

and.. it works!!! i'm editing the tx81z directly via ableton max for live patch.

THANK YOU SO MUCH guys. i've been trying to jump this hurdle for a long time and could never get my head around it :):):)

Guest bitroast

yep! ableton doesn't do sysex. max for live, as it's running through ableton, doesn't do sysex either.

i've always been content with what ableton can/can't do but this is pretty ridic. it's ableton version 9, 2014, and it doesn't have full midi support :facepalm:

A mac is a pc, btw.

lol thank you so much for your contribution.

Archived