IGNORED

Some crazy shit going down in Sydney?

chenGOD

Mate what?

He's calling for blood. (Which he often does, see virtually all his posts about North Korea).

Yes it's sad. My deepest condolences for the families of the victims.

But anger and sadness are two different emotions, and I don't think anger is warranted here. So I'm trying to understand, why would you expend energy feeling angry?

When is anger warranted then?

When the innocent people murdered were of the same continent as the person angry?

when they are of the same country?

same city?

same neighborhood?

friends?

or only family?

this logic/reasoning of anger not being necessary is absurd.

p.s. being angry =/= violence.. drawing that parallel is also absurd.

also i think theres something to be said that anger can be a more constuctive tool of action and change than just sadness... where would the civil rights movement have taken us if activists just sat at home and cried? lol

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anger is warranted at the government's ridiculous actions in conducting raids on Muslim homes in the name of "freedom" that result in exacerbating tensions.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/banyan/2014/10/australia-and-terrorism

Anger is warranted when bigotry and fear combine with ignorance to oppress large swathes of humanity.

Anger is warranted when the police, who are supposed to be serving and protecting the citizens of a nation are instead shooting them in ever-increasing numbers (regardless of colour) with greater impunity.

But anger over death? Why would you get angry over death? It's a part of life. Even murder.

Rubin Farr called for them to "kill this fuck", so I was making the assumption (perhaps in error?) that he wanted violence to satisfy his anger.

And equating anger over the deaths of chocolate purchasing patrons to the anger felt by black americans over the systemic suppression of their rights as people is fucking lolriffic.

Anger is warranted at the government's ridiculous actions in conducting raids on Muslim homes in the name of "freedom" that result in exacerbating tensions.

Anger is warranted when bigotry and fear combine with ignorance to oppress large swathes of humanity.

Anger is warranted when the police, who are supposed to be serving and protecting the citizens of a nation are instead shooting them in ever-increasing numbers (regardless of colour) with greater impunity.

But anger over death? Why would you get angry over death? It's a part of life. Even murder.

Rubin Farr called for them to "kill this fuck", so I was making the assumption (perhaps in error?) that he wanted violence to satisfy his anger.

And equating anger over the deaths of chocolate purchasing patrons to the anger felt by black americans over the systemic suppression of their rights as people is fucking lolriffic.

So what you're saying is that anger sparked in response to religious extremists murdering innocent people in the name of religion is less warranted than anger over police brutality, discrimination and bigotry?

Sorry, but I thought those were all ills of the world... maybe I'm mistaken? In your world, outrage over police brutality and racism is justified while outrage over murder as a result of Islamic extremism gets shoulder shrugged.. and worse, condemned? Wow.

Whether he was killed in the act, or later by a court wouldn't matter to me. He had no regard for human life, so why should we care about his life? He fucking helped set his first wife on fire.

As for anger, emotions are involuntary, sympathy, empathy, anger, rage; these things overtake us during stress. Then reason creeps in once you calm down but why should I be calm that this fucker and his girlfriend murdered a woman, and we're let out on bail almost immediately! The cops knew of this guy, but he wasn't on some kind of watch list? I can't speak to AU govt bc I don't live there, but I can still mourn for the victims and want vengeance for the killer. Too bad he won't stand trial, but he met his end.

Yeah sure, but do you not think that trying to maintain some emotional distance and not responding out of anger would yield better results? I don't agree that emotions are involuntary, otherwise what responsibility do we have.

Be angry with the system that released them almost immediately on bail. Misdirecting your energy toward someone who almost certainly suffers from mental illness (the whole belief in an organized religion should be a good first clue) is a waste of a finite resource.

Lane Visitor: I'm not condemning him for feeling anger over it, simply saying I don't understand it. In the end it's an individual's choice. Please don't put words into my mouth.

I don't agree that emotions are involuntary, otherwise what responsibility do we have.

our responsibility is in our actions not emotions but we can partially direct/control our emotions and great wisdom means knowing if, when and how much should we do this

fuck this shit. cunt shot a dude and someone died from a heart attack in the barrage of gunfire

Apparently the person shot was trying to wrestle the gun from the hostage taker. I was assuming the worst - that they were shot in crossfire from the cops.

Yeah sure, but do you not think that trying to maintain some emotional distance and not responding out of anger would yield better results? I don't agree that emotions are involuntary, otherwise what responsibility do we have.

Be angry with the system that released them almost immediately on bail. Misdirecting your energy toward someone who almost certainly suffers from mental illness (the whole belief in an organized religion should be a good first clue) is a waste of a finite resource.

Lane Visitor: I'm not condemning him for feeling anger over it, simply saying I don't understand it. In the end it's an individual's choice. Please don't put words into my mouth.

My apologies- you weren't condemning. I just think it's strange to call for outrage over other ills of the world, and then when it comes to religious extremism, to save that anger for something more worthy.. but whose judging? Regarding the mental illness aspect.. Couldn't one then argue that the system is also mentally ill, along with cops who practice brutality, commissioners of bigotry and racism, and the system that released them on bail? So, no reason for anger there as well by that logic?

To regard organized religion as a whole being a "clue" of mental illness is like calling European food unhealthy because pizza can be fattening, and pizza's from italy and Italy is in Europe. crazy logic. C'mon, by now we all know there are gazillions of good natured religious people who are open minded, tolerant and would not hurt a fly. (:

But even so, just because someone is a religious fanatic doesn't immediately give them the insanity card- with that said, this particular guy was said to have mental issues, but given this story, i dont think that necessarily negates his religious extremist-linked motives as were outlined in the events.

The Pakistan school attack is so fucking depressing, didn't want to start a new thread about it, because politics in watmm. RIP kids.

fuck this shit. cunt shot a dude and someone died from a heart attack in the barrage of gunfire

Apparently the person shot was trying to wrestle the gun from the hostage taker. I was assuming the worst - that they were shot in crossfire from the cops.

yeah i think i wrote that a bit further down innit ;)

anyway if the guy was alive we could have had a lot of fun. like take his stupid flag of intolerance and be like 'hmm there's something missing' and blow a righteous load over it

interesting take on how to deal with mentally ill people

The Pakistan school attack is so fucking depressing, didn't want to start a new thread about it, because politics in watmm. RIP kids.

Oh yeah man that is some crazy shit..Just read about that this morning:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2014/dec/16/over-100-people-killed-in-pakistan-taliban-school-siege-says-provincial-chief-minister-live-updates

This shit in Pakistan is crushingly sad, these days you associate northern Pakistan and Afghanistan with piles of crumbling rubble fought over by vicious religious nutjobs. But they used to be modern, progressive, secular societies in the 60s and 70s, with good standards of living, functioning infrastructure etc. I know people who grew up in that Pakistan, but they can't go back because it doesn't exist anymore... It's the same with Egypt, in a lot of ways - that country has fallen a long long way

As for the guy in Oz, it would have been much better to take him alive, so he could get the psychological attention he clearly needed. Afterwards he might have come out and said how wrong he was, how his motives were shit, etc - that would be a huge propaganda coup, and could have helped to dissuade other nutters from doing similar things. Easy to say all that in hindsight though, no idea what the po-po had to deal with in the actual situation

The shit I read about Pakistan makes it sound like they're moving backwards, honor killings, a couple thrown in a kiln alive bc someone "saw" them burning Koran pages, gang rapes, acid attacks, a newlywed couple beheaded by their family after wedding. Pakistan wasn't always like this.

None of this is entirely new, but the crime rates seem to be climbing, and the Taliban is just making things worse.

It would be hard sharing a religion with these fucking people.

it is. and it's actually harder on thinking, feeling Muslims because it causes inner turmoil. those who have Islam ingrained in them culturally and can carry on without a second thought, they tend to just engage their defenses and not really think about the problem.

Archived