IGNORED

Cheshire Folklore Tapes Vol. 1: The Wizard's Will

Rubin Farr

Just getting into this label thru the kickstarter, next up is Cheshire County. Looking good.

wizards_will.jpg

site to upload photos

16 page book

Center Cut Clear Flexi Disc

Download Code

Edition of 200

http://www.folkloretapes.co.uk/product/cheshire-folklore-tapes-vol-1-the-wizard-s-will-alderley-edge-magic-topography

I'm going to pass on this one.

I like the whole Devon Folklore Tapes series but it feels slowly as if it may turn into an industry in itself.

Are we to expect (insert county) folklore tapes from everywhere? Listening to the DFT series from 1 through 6, they need to concentrate more on musical quality and less on the amount of releases.

Just my opinion.

I'm all for the series continuing. I just hope it doesn't turn into some kind of thing where they are just picking British counties at random, slapping together various artists (of questionable talent) and then releasing it. Yes, their packaging is first-rate. No-one could complain about that.

With the Cheshire series, that makes three now.

I just worry that we are seeing a trend beginning here.

i guess i'm in the minority because i don't mind them going through each county and giving it the folklore treatment. as long as they keep putting out music, they're bound to find certain things that work. there are definitely some things i love from this projects and others i don't, particularly when they get a little lost on the storytelling or foley and abandon music but there is something still refreshing in how accurately this sounds like such a bucolic take on traditional library music

• 1 month later...

finally got this (my first record of 2015)- if it wasn't already obvious to you that the folklore tapes project is more about research than music then this will convince you. for one you get more text (18 pages) than music (12 minutes), but more importantly this isn't really music but more like the collection of sounds of music being made but edited to sound like something whole along the lines of john hudak & miguel tolosa's garten but rather than having the meditative quality of that piece, this is supposed to be disorientating as the music heard by the "locals in the area of the edge described as "strange underground music"

Archived