IGNORED

Music disgustingly imposed on you...

Lane Visitor

First world problem alert:

Uggh.. Right now, our Pandora system is down at work (we are required to have music blaring at all times so as to not create an "awkward silence" in the office), so we had to switch to some other radio station, and it plays ads.. worst part is that one of the speakers has to sit on my desk because the computer it's hooked up to is sitting right next to my desk and theres no room for both speakers on it. Tried turning the volume down but it keeps "going" back up. My headphones aren't isolating enough so all i hear is muttering drowning out my music. i definitely cant focus on work with this.

Normally i wouldnt mind, as im the most easy going chill person i know, but i woke up today in a very particularly somber straightforward mood. Everything's been agitating me since I woke for some reason. So now a nonsensical mix of Neon Trees, Owl City, M83, Passion Pit, and Franz Ferdinand are being imposed on me like a 13 year old brat hanging on my back. (: I actually really like 3 of those bands ( neon trees, m83 and passion pit), but not in this moment. not today. lol

oh, whatdya know.. now it's 1979 by smashing pumpkins. this mix is like mid 2000's indie rock/pop with some nostalgic 90s alt thrown in. gawd. not that i don't like these styles and songs, but can it be any more obvious/uninspired/mundane/generic??

Haha oh us electronic music head's / music snobs. what shall we do.

all i wanna hear is SAW II at minimal volume and no background noise right now. :/

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I once did an internship in an architecture office and for some reason they needed to have the radio playing at all hours because they found the silence boring and they didn't even care at all what music was playing. So I could sit there for 9 hours listening to the 6 most popular pop songs at the time in an infinite loop for 9 hours. Bruno Mars, David Guetta, Rihanna and all that trash.

Something like that is fucking torture to me, I'm too analytical of a person to let it play in the back and ignore it.

I find silence much more relaxing and an easier environment to work in.

I once did an internship in an architecture office and for some reason they needed to have the radio playing at all hours because they found the silence boring and they didn't even care at all what music was playing. So I could sit there for 9 hours listening to the 6 most popular pop songs at the time in an infinite loop for 9 hours. Bruno Mars, David Guetta, Rihanna and all that trash.

Something like that is fucking torture to me, I'm too analytical of a person to let it play in the back and ignore it.

I find silence much more relaxing and an easier environment to work in.

dude, yes.. i feel your pain (:

that sounds like hell for sure...

once i worked in a movie theater when i was super young as the guy who sweeps the lobby floor.. that one song by Gavin Degraw played about every 16.5 minutes for my entire workshift for like 2 months straight :}

Now Muse - Black Holes and Revelations is playing for anyone that was wondering!

edit: oh and now a very accessible electro-house remix of Lizstomania by Phoenix circa 200.. 8ish?

Any department store, grocery store or retail outlet playing Christmas music. My ears ache from the rape my ears receive when I have to buy something anywhere, it's pretty bad...

IT STARTS IN OCTOBER AND ENDS IN APRIL FOR FUCKS SAKE.

:catcry::catsupine: :cattears: :cattears: :catface: :catcry: :catsuicide: :catghost:

Any department store, grocery store or retail outlet playing Christmas music. My ears ache from the rape my ears receive when I have to buy something anywhere, it's pretty bad...

IT STARTS IN OCTOBER AND ENDS IN APRIL FOR FUCKS SAKE.

:catcry::catsupine: :cattears: :cattears: :catface: :catcry: :catsuicide: :catghost:

Although I like christmas music when shopping sometimes because of the nostalgia, Jingle Bells is particularly annoying. Always hated that song, so simplistic repetitive and just plain overused.

What kind of stupid place do you work at where you are forced to have noise in the background? What is the idea behind it and what's wrong with "awkward silences". Are people that vacuous that they can't cope without having some incessant yammering happening all the time?

the other day i was shopping at macys (for like the first time shopping for clothes in almost a year lol) and one of those salvation army guys was incessently ringing his little bell as CONSISTENT as fucking possible right outside the front door of the shop. ive never heard anything so unfinching. One little tiny bell just jangling for what felt like 1000 hours. The only reason i heard it consistently is because i was looking for jeans in the section near the door, and was having trouble finding jeans under $200 that fit me right that wouldnt make me look like a 90's female construction worker but also not an Ed Hardy $30k millionaire Scottsdale bro... very fine line in between- almost non-existent. Anyway, this disgusting bell noise - one straight frequency that was only thing i could focus on was degrading my eardrums while Christmas music was playing in the background.. so i was being double penetrated by the sounds xmas on all fronts. i actually normally dont mind xmas music and like the spirit, but fuck. that was a difficult shopping experience. i think a lot of us audio/ music people have such sensitive ears, other normal ppl just dont understand.

Hey Guys!

Now the current song playing is........

Pumped Up Kicks by Foster The People!

:music::emotawesomepm9::wink:

i feel like bjork right now when she said she hates music featuring the guitar or whatever it was she said haha

... update: Paramore: that Help Im Alive My Heart Keeps Beating Like A Hammer song ... clAAssic early 2k10's shiz yallllll

how do you even manage to do anything with music on all day? i would go crazy. i listen to music for about 30 minutes to an hour and then i take a break. crazy thing to have music blaring "at all times". Edit: and yes, that's music i /like/. i hate listening to music i dont like. music as background is a mystery to me tbh, and thats why it takes up so much space to me when its on

how do you even manage to do anything with music on all day? i would go crazy. i listen to music for about 30 minutes to an hour and then i take a break. crazy thing to have music blaring "at all times". Edit: and yes, that's music i /like/. i hate listening to music i dont like. music as background is a mystery to me tbh, and thats why it takes up so much space to me when its on

dude yes. well said!

Almost every night, im in my studio for at least a few hours working on my music, so to have it blaring throughout my workday is very uncool.

when i mention i like silence or at least downtempo hypnotic stuff to work to , i feel like im sore loser, but really most ppl dont understand that i subject myself to audio hours on end every week getting production and mixes right, so the last thing i wanna hear hours before that is shitty music that already plays on the radio day in day out.

Any department store, grocery store or retail outlet playing music.

fixed

Also music at the hairdressers.

We listen to the radio at my job, but one with information, debates, interviews, etc... Pretty cool to listen to while working actually. There's even a show about classical music that played some Debussy stuff some days ago

Any department store, grocery store or retail outlet playing music.

fixed

Also music at the hairdressers.

We listen to the radio at my job, but one with information, debates, interviews, etc... Pretty cool to listen to while working actually. There's even a show about classical music that played some Debussy stuff some days ago

ah youre lucky! that sounds amazing.

Pfft, I'd rather be in the OP's situation than mine. I work in the ballroom in a fancy hotel so at the minute it's all Christmas parties for various companies, and there's absolutely zero chance of anything other than max-volume Christmas choons and/or generic party music for auld folks. There's the ever-present danger of overzealous harridans partying down to 'come on eileen' and drunkenly knocking my tray of drinks or empty glasses to the floor... That being said, I think my brain's essentially developed a sort of emergency override that just blocks out the music into a sort of all-encompassing white noise.

I think if they played SAW II at work I'd have to find a quiet place to sit down and have a little cry of confusion and relief. And then, wiping my eyes, I'd look up and ah gee, yep, there's the IDM man.

'Merry Christmas, child.'

'I'm dead, aren't I, IDM man?'

'You've always been dead, my son.'

*snare rush*

Pfft, I'd rather be in the OP's situation than mine. I work in the ballroom in a fancy hotel so at the minute it's all Christmas parties for various companies, and there's absolutely zero chance of anything other than max-volume Christmas choons and/or generic party music for auld folks. There's the ever-present danger of overzealous harridans partying down to 'come on eileen' and drunkenly knocking my tray of drinks or empty glasses to the floor... That being said, I think my brain's essentially developed a sort of emergency override that just blocks out the music into a sort of all-encompassing white noise.

I think if they played SAW II at work I'd have to find a quiet place to sit down and have a little cry of confusion and relief. And then, wiping my eyes, I'd look up and ah gee, yep, there's the IDM man.

'Merry Christmas, child.'

'I'm dead, aren't I, IDM man?'

'You've always been dead, my son.'

*snare rush*

giphy.gif

***idm tearz***

I can top this, kinda.

A couple months ago had no radio in our work truck for about a week between repairs so my co-worker played Staind or Slipknot through his phone speakers. It was fucking brutal. I figured out he had System of a Down on his phone too so I asked him to play that and in context it was a godsend. Thankfully he kinda gave up after a couple days and it went back to silence.

Now it's back to good local radio stations and occasionally my phone. He used to play the shit out a poppy d'n'b artist named Maduk but that was awhile ago. I'm lucky enough that my co-workers are ok with listening to weird stuff - black metal, electronic, local indie rock. Even the stubborn ones listen to classic rock or a morning show I actually like. At worst their is a sports station they listen to but it's tolerable.

I have to hear top 40 pop and ads from the radio at work.

To me, a radio playing shitty music at work feels the same as having a big pool of vomit on the floor.

And then there are always some people who insist that the vomit must not be cleaned up it is because "it's nice".

R & B station at work drives me crazy. Seriously plays about 25-35 songs on repeat all day. Sometimes I wake up with one of the songs in my head. And I'm not one (like most here, I'm sure) that can just "tune out" music as background noise. Ugh. Also I can't wear headphones/ear buds because I have to answer the phone.

Archived