IGNORED

How does the World view America these days?

Rubin Farr

I think he's a great speaker...(not content-wise, of course)

I think lost, uncertain people have a unconscious desire for an assertive paternalistic presence (remember how everyone called him "daddy"?) and I actually think Trump was advised by folks who know how to press unconscious buttons

I mean, we didn't evolve to be comforted by facts

Our brains parse the environment/future into 'known' and 'unknown'

(Actually, this is roughly what each of our two hemispheres do)

Uncertainty causes anxiety and puts people in emergency preparation mode

So a confident paternalistic figure--regardless of his relationship to the truth--literally causes pleasant pharmacological changes in people's brains

Edited by LimpyLoo

ehhhhhhhhhh...

You & I can see right through Trump, and let's be honest - we're not da trak geniouses here, we're just normal voters. You really have to already agree with his incendiary views to be even remotely swayed by the things he says. A skilled speaker can change minds, hearts (regardless of the topic) - he doesn't have that ability, at least not to any notable degree. He's a rabble-rouser at best, and that's not much of a challenge, so long as you have enough microphones. 

maybe back in the day, but you can tell he is considerably diminished, if you watch him from the 80's versus now.

I dont know, check out this analysis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aFo_BV-UzI&app=desktop

You guys are kidding right? The way he formulates his answers/builds up sentences is as if he's suffered some kind of brain injury.

I disagree completely. He may not be a math or science or logic genius. But don't buy the whole kool aid that he's just a dumbass who speaks off the top of his head without any ryhme or reason. We're talking about a billionaire persona whose possibly the most successful self-promoter and salesman that ever existed. Just watch The Choice for some perspective, it 's incredible. His use of 4th grade level rhetoric and the way he frames statements in certain perspectives is a tactic that works wonders for his PR. Not just for the race hes been doing it all his life, im sure his dad taught him how to make people believe his bs or buy his illusions or feed his narcisism. It's absolutely expertise propaganda rather than just babbling, and if you don't see that, i think you're missing the picture, he's sold you.

Yeah, I'm probably coming from a too simplistic/naive pov. Will check out The Choice, thanks for the recommendation.

To clarify; I don't think he's dumb, it's just the way he speaks that seems really off to me but I'm not a native speaker so that may have something to do with it.

Edited by ussr

maybe back in the day, but you can tell he is considerably diminished, if you watch him from the 80's versus now.

You guys are kidding right? The way he formulates his answers/builds up sentences is as if he's suffered some kind of brain injury.
I disagree completely. He may not be a math or science or logic genius. But don't buy the whole kool aid that he's just a dumbass who speaks off the top of his head without any ryhme or reason. We're talking about a billionaire persona whose possibly the most successful self-promoter and salesman that ever existed. Just watch The Choice for some perspective, it 's incredible. His use of 4th grade level rhetoric and the way he frames statements in certain perspectives is a tactic that works wonders for his PR. Not just for the race hes been doing it all his life, im sure his dad taught him how to make people believe his bs or buy his illusions or feed his narcisism. It's absolutely expertise propaganda rather than just babbling, and if you don't see that, i think you're missing the picture, he's sold you.

He's definitely sold you - he's not a billionaire, he wouldn't have been successful at all without daddy's money, who wouldn't have been successful without his daddy's money, which he made running a whorehouse in Canada during the early part of the 20th century. I guess the constant is, the family is always willing to exploit others for their own gain.

His grasp of economics, foreign policy and foreign trade is painful to listen to. At least the foreign trade picture he sells to the public.

And I disagree completely with you, and I watched The Choice. I'm not saying he's the worst speaker, but his style's appeal isn't wide enough, it isn't as a whole logical nor are his speeches emotional, and so fails on far too many points for anyone to utter the phrase 'most successful self-promoter' with a straight face. I'm sorry, just, no. I've met a dozen salesmen and self-promoters who were far and away better than Trump...they just didn't get a born with the advantages he was.

Trump's slick, and his message appeals to many, but broadly? Naw. Not even. Niche messages, niche audience, terrible delivery, nope. He ain't sold me on shit, he really is an idiot. He wasn't always, but 50 years of being told 'yes Mr Trump' and fucking up dozens of times, losing billions of dollars and STILL being 'Mr Trump' will warp anyone's brain into a useless blathering blob.

ehhhhhhhhhh...

You & I can see right through Trump, and let's be honest - we're not da trak geniouses here, we're just normal voters. You really have to already agree with his incendiary views to be even remotely swayed by the things he says. A skilled speaker can change minds, hearts (regardless of the topic) - he doesn't have that ability, at least not to any notable degree. He's a rabble-rouser at best, and that's not much of a challenge, so long as you have enough microphones.

He won the nomination

How?

Certainly not on great policy ideas

I think he won because he was perceived as "strong"

compared to Jeb 'sadfuck' Bush and Marco 'might be gay' Rubio

ehhhhhhhhhh...

He won the nomination

How?

Certainly not on great policy ideas

I think he won because he was perceived as "strong"

ted cruz is definitely the gayest of all the republican candidates this cycle

He's definitely sold you - he's not a billionaire, he wouldn't have been successful at all without daddy's money, who wouldn't have been successful without his daddy's money, which he made running a whorehouse in Canada during the early part of the 20th century. I guess the constant is, the family is always willing to exploit others for their own gain.

His grasp of economics, foreign policy and foreign trade is painful to listen to. At least the foreign trade picture he sells to the public.

I'm talking here about an evil genius of a promoter when it comes to the masses... Remember, the masses are not intelligent like you and I. And particularly the undecided voters, of whom are likely to be swayed by charismatic salespeople. Of course he doesn't appeal to people with higher intellect lol

I'm talking here about an evil genius of a promoter when it comes to the masses... Remember, the masses are not intelligent like you and I. And particularly the undecided voters, of whom are likely to be swayed by charismatic salespeople. Of course he doesn't appeal to people with higher intellect lol

Why do you call it "the masses" when it's quite literally less than 50% of the US population that is involved in the voting process?

That's not even a majority.

ehhhhhhhhhh...

He won the nomination

How?

Certainly not on great policy ideas I think he won because he was perceived as "strong"

Good to remember even that brainsurgeon guy, mr sleepingpills, was a relatively strong contender during the primaries. Trump won because he was a hand grenade for the establishment. He could bully the establishment like nobody else. In the most a-political way.

Apart from that, he's just an awful speaker. And lousy communicator even. The only presidential aspect he has going is his yuuge ego. Other than that, nothing.

Or he knows how to connect with the anti-intellectual establishment. (Yes, the anti-intellectual establishment! ;D)

Why do you call it "the masses" when it's quite literally less than 50% of the US population that is involved in the voting process?

That's not even a majority.

Well i mean regardless of definition of "masses", the guy has almost half of the polls right now, so i dont know why you and chen would downplay his abilities, influence and power as if his speeches are just a bunch of garbage. I think what you guys are forgetting is that the best propaganda is deceptively simple and straightforward. Tell a lie a thousand times, speak from certain perspectives, bully people into thinking youre the victim etc

You can be a loud obnoxious egotistical douchebag and use it to your advantage to control and brainwash people. That in itself is a form of genius. And that's what I mean. And i think it's even more powerful than logic and intellect, cuz here we have scores of people supporting him strictly on the fact that he "says it how it is", and that it's "refreshing "... You can't tell me that he and his team aren't aware of that advantage and aren't playing that up. Of course they are. I know some people who are considering voting for him just because he's "entertaining" and different. That's fucked.

After all, intellect and sophistication is not really a pre-requisite for President... sadly.

Edited by Lane Visitor

Appealing to lowest common denominator base emotions is brilliant? That's a strategy that's used by tin-pot dictators and fascists. Nothing remotely smart about it. He has

His speeches are a bunch of garbage - they say nothing and they use fourth grade vocabulary to do so. He's almost as bad as Dubya.

surely worse

the hypocrisy & narcissism are blown up to cartoon proportions with Trump, not just playing to the gallery & his constant "look how much i got" bs

with the election itself timing is a factor, its seems voter apathy has rebounded since a decade or more ago, similarly here where Britain had voter turn outs of 35%ish at one point, fast-forward to Brexit & a huge currency tumble not that these contexts are 100% translatable

the world is a freak show, the Russian fleet just sailed down the Channel & whoever wins in the US is gonna exploit their global hegemony

safe

Edited by cwmbrancity

you get your Danish passport yet?

I'll see if I can get a work visa. In a couple of months I'm going to be let go from my job with a lot of freedom and spicy possibilities.

I find it very very scary that people are now emboldened to the point where they flaunt their nationalism. This is very scary. What the fuck is going on. If you go on twitter you can find so many people promoting white nationalist views, and they think they've won.

THIS IS FUCKING CRAZY.

This is fucking exactly what people were afraid of, and the fucking democratic party fucked us by running a shit candidate.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-seattle-shooting-idUSKBN1350AD?feedType=RSS&feedName=topNews

It say it's maybe not connected to the Trump protest, but given the description I don't know how that makes sense. 

"It appears that some type of argument took place. This individual began to walk away from the crowd, then turned and fired into the crowd," Merner told reporters.

Working in an international office, my day was spent yesterday responding to every asshole that wandered down to my floor expecting an explanation, like they wanted me to personally apologize for Trump.

I find it very very scary that people are now emboldened to the point where they flaunt their nationalism. This is very scary. What the fuck is going on. If you go on twitter you can find so many people promoting white nationalist views, and they think they've won.

THIS IS FUCKING CRAZY.

This is fucking exactly what people were afraid of, and the fucking democratic party fucked us by running a shit candidate.

Silver lining: that shit was already present. With or without Trump. And now that the real crazyness comes out in the sun, actual healing might start to take place. Many people will disagree, but the outcome of this election might be a medicine which makes you feel sicker at first and better after all that crazyness has come out.

And I say the outcome of this election as this is beyond Trump. I actually think this revolution against the old establishment will help create a better new establishment in the long run. Like a wake up call for the people governing the us. Or who thought they were governing.

But it's fair to call me out on this naive sense of optimism, though. I might be incredibly wrong. But I hope I'm not...!?