IGNORED

Alva Noto - Xerrox Vol. 3

triachus

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i really can't decide if i should get this on teh vinyls or cd. i have the previous two on cd but i've become much more of a vinyl guy in the years since. part of me thinks his works are better suited to teh digital formats but....VYNALS

Yeah I always see Carsten Nicolai's stuff (in fact pretty much all of Raster Noton's output) as suiting the precise digital format more than the analogue vynals.

yeah i think you're right. anyway, if i bought it on lp i would get obsessed with getting the previous 2 on lp as well and that seems like it would pose a real problem.

Exactly the situation I have found myself in with a Vol. 2 sized gap in my rack. At least I didn't buy the limited edition, along with the standard LP and CD. I clearly need supervised internet access.

Beautiful album.

I think this is something that will grow on me. I don't expect it to surpass Vol. 2, as that's one of my favorite albums of ambient music. When it comes to ambient music, I think I tend to react more strongly to something that is active, with a strong presence of anxiety. This is true for all of Vol. 2, but the first track especially sets that up perfectly. Vol. 3 is very sparse and inconsistent in a narrative way, but I think that latter perception will change with more listens. It doesn't sound that emotional to me, as hinted by Alva Noto's twitter press release, nor do I hear much connection with the film Solaris.

Pre-ordered anyway.

i'll go for the cd, i bought vol2 on vinyl & kinda regret it, for this type of music (long digital drones) i like cds more... fantastic music anyway

i will gladly take this off your hands if its in good condition :)

is it too early to state that volume 2 is easily superior to volume 3?

There are not many albums in the world that Vol 2 isn't superior to.

This is on Spotify, for anyone still unsure. I listened to it before bed last night and thought it was pretty good, if not up to the standard of previous volumes.

Vol. 2 will always be special, so effortlessly flawless. This one is still damn good albeit a bit forced in places, though that may just be in contrast to Vol. 2.

Also soliciting AN recommendations beyond the Xerrox series, which is what I primarily know him by. Early releases? The Uni- series? Inkquring minds want to know.

I really like Vrioon and utp_, which are collaborations with Ryuichi Sakamoto, but I haven't heard everything they've done together yet. Neither are similar to Xerrox, but to me they have a very defined atmosphere.

Xerrox series is by far my favorite thing by him though.

alcooooooooooo where r uuuuu

i'm here d-lo

but i still haven't set aside the time to check this out. the other two are so good so i'm really looking forward to it but also nervous. will post asap.

don't tell me how it ends tho

Vol. 2 will always be special, so effortlessly flawless. This one is still damn good albeit a bit forced in places, though that may just be in contrast to Vol. 2.

Also soliciting AN recommendations beyond the Xerrox series, which is what I primarily know him by. Early releases? The Uni- series? Inkquring minds want to know.

The Uni albums are great I think. Unitxt isn't for everyone, it has a very defined style it sticks to through the whole album, so if you're not into that aesthetic it can get boring.

Univrs is a little more varied, but still has that cold edge. I love both for very different reasons, check both out, you might like.

Archived