IGNORED

Scarlett Johansson to Headline ‘Ghost in the Shell’ Live-Action Movie

Braintree

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Should have cast a Japanese woman...

This brings up an interesting point about race and how it is portrayed and perceived in manga or anime. There was a very interesting study done about this, I'll attach the PDF here, anyone who's interested can take a read.

Animation-2009-Lu-169-90.pdf

scarlett-johansson-hot.jpg

TY for delivering what I expected to see in this thread when I opened it up.

Also, I'm totally surprised at the ScarJo hate here. Yeah, making GITS into a live-action feature is like trying to make Akira into a- shit I guess they are doing that too . . . .

Anyway, yeah, she was phenomenal in Under the Skin and I don't think I've ever seen her in a role where she didn't seem to play it well (didn't see Lucy, maybe that was a downer for people here since it's in a similar sci-fi action context?)

Ya, she's the only Hollywood "babe" I like. The movie is still going to be balls, because hollywood adaptation.

Also, I'm totally surprised at the ScarJo hate here. Yeah, making GITS into a live-action feature is like trying to make Akira into a- shit I guess they are doing that too . . . .

Anyway, yeah, she was phenomenal in Under the Skin and I don't think I've ever seen her in a role where she didn't seem to play it well (didn't see Lucy, maybe that was a downer for people here since it's in a similar sci-fi action context?)

check out Eight Legged Freaks LOL

There's a style to GitS that retains some of their Asian-ness (especially compared to something like Trigun). I think it would be a lot more interesting to cast an Asian woman lead to at least have a nod to the fact that it's a Japanese story, and then do whatever you like with the rest of the cast. Aramaki definitely looks Japanese, but Batou and Boma could be anything. And since they're all in 'shells' anyway, that would work.

Plus, anime isn't trying to appeal to white people...

Do not underestimate the power of weeaboos!

This is the type of thread the foundations of Rubin Farr were built on. Yet he wasn't even the OP. How did he miss this one? Well, he's taken his eye off the ball. Instead of doing his comic-con style stuff he's invested in world news / looking for a world news story to tickle the tastebuds of the music makers.

Apparently a week is old news.

Should have cast a Japanese woman...

This brings up an interesting point about race and how it is portrayed and perceived in manga or anime. There was a very interesting study done about this, I'll attach the PDF here, anyone who's interested can take a read.

Thanks! I'll have a look at that.

Guest Atom Dowry Firth

she was phenomenal in Under the Skin and I don't think I've ever seen her in a role where she didn't seem to play it well (didn't see Lucy, maybe that was a downer for people here since it's in a similar sci-fi action context?)

Lucy was a pretty shit film, but it wasn't shit because of her performance. She's been good in everything I've seen her in

This is the type of thread the foundations of Rubin Farr were built on. Yet he wasn't even the OP. How did he miss this one? Well, he's taken his eye off the ball. Instead of doing his comic-con style stuff he's invested in world news / looking for a world news story to tickle the tastebuds of the music makers.

I'm starting to read your posts in the voice of David Attenborough

check out Eight Legged Freaks LOL

LOL so I googled Eight Legged Freaks Scarlett Johannson and this video turned up. . . does nothing to convince me she isn't awesome (but does a lot to convince me I probably never need to see the actual movie).

[youtubehd]lNaPN0CtUyo[/youtubehd]

motoko kusanagi portrayed by a white scandinavian... wow, fuck hollywood. i bet they're gonna change her name and make it set in los angeles or something. i'm not watching this movie if they do.

^ you can kind of allow her to be played by a Scandinavian though because it's just a shell. also she looks Eurasian anyway, I think Scarlett could pull it off very well.

C'mon people this is Hollywood what u expect? Name on two hands the number of famous asian actors in the US. Immediately people will say Lucy Lui, then probably Zhang Ziyi, then who? A lead in a film needs name recognition, or almost always it will fail. Scarlett only got this offer bc she pulled off Lucy into a first place box office finish for opening weekend. Only Angelina Jolie is comparable as a white female action star, but her heyday has passed, just ask Amy Pascal lol.

OK Kokoon, I'll admit it; that's a proper pic.

Still weird that she's only five days younger than me.

That's weird. I'm only a month older.

:huh:

C'mon people this is Hollywood what u expect? Name on two hands the number of famous asian actors in the US. Immediately people will say Lucy Lui, then probably Zhang Ziyi, then who? A lead in a film needs name recognition, or almost always it will fail. Scarlett only got this offer bc she pulled off Lucy into a first place box office finish for opening weekend. Only Angelina Jolie is comparable as a white female action star, but her heyday has passed, just ask Amy Pascal lol.

Jackie Chan?

What they should have done is either cast a no name actress that has the muscle tone to pull this off, Sure Scarlet looks pretty and all but they need someone who looks the part fitness wise.

I have always thought gina carano would suit the part pretty well.

Ghost In The Shell is special.. Masamune Shirow is a big deal to me. I hope that a. this project has his blessing and b. it isn't awful. I am not hopeful. Only time will tell.

Archived