IGNORED

Music Technology Magazine Interview July 1993

barkertrax

I like the ad on the last page "coping with Midi is easier in the nineties if your a member of UKMA" I may join UKMA. I enjoyed reading the interview, cheers for putting it up. I reckon he's building a bit of mystique with the 'four home made sequencers' and some of the other gear talk. Interesting how he said he records tracks as live takes then which he's also doing now, more or less, as Syro's tracks are said to be recorded straight from gear to tape. Also I love the idea of deleting samples after they're used in a track- very efficient on sample memory too.

Thanks. I still have this mag and the other synth mag he was in back in the day.

I have the other magazine too (but not handy to scan) - it was an issue of Future Music from 1993 (April?). The Future Music interview's cool because it has some photo of his DIY contraptions :) I think maybe it's already on watmm somewhere?

What about this:

In fact, it goes back to Richard's first musical partner Tom - they were born within ten minutes of each other, hence 'Twin'...

Aphex and "Tom" Middleton (of Global Communication fame) used to make music together way back in the day....

What about this:

In fact, it goes back to Richard's first musical partner Tom - they were born within ten minutes of each other, hence 'Twin'...

Aphex and "Tom" Middleton (of Global Communication fame) used to make music together way back in the day....

Basically they only did En Trance To Exit together and then they went their own way. But here's Tom explaining how he was 'schooled' by Aphex:

And I'm not sure if that title is named after this piece, but it could very well be the case (this has been uploaded by ubu.com, a site mentioned by Richard in another interview)

http://vimeo.com/7430313

Thanks. I still have this mag and the other synth mag he was in back in the day.

I have the other magazine too (but not handy to scan) - it was an issue of Future Music from 1993 (April?). The Future Music interview's cool because it has some photo of his DIY contraptions :) I think maybe it's already on watmm somewhere?

That would be The Aphex Effect. I believe this was given to me by someone else here. The contraption's a lie, which is odd as he'd already accomplished a lot.

OK. I guess I was more alluding to the 'Twin' part of the name and it's origins. As opposed to the story about him having a brother also named Richard? Or did everyone already know this and I am just way behind....

• 4 years later...

Archived